Page 1 of 3
LastLast

All you future rangers out there. How do you want your pets to be?

I've personally always been a Ranger at heart. I surround myself with animals IRL, I love to work with them (hunting, working dog training and hopefully one day work as a security guard with my dog by my side) and I love the idea of a human being that can survive in nature without difficulty, without even carrying anything but tools that she can carry herself.

For me, the obvious choice in WoW, was the Hunter. So far I've had a lot of fun with it (except for guns and x-bows..I want JUST bows!) and I've found and tamed each of the rare (unique) beasts available in-game. I feel a connection to them due to the work I put in, but...you can't say that the pets are exactly your companions, they're just there!

What I hope to get from a GW2 Ranger, is the following:

Bird pets that actually sit on your shoulder, that fly and can be sent on foes. No WoW style huge birds that never land but just flap alongside you for eternity, and are too big to sit on your shoulder/staff/whatever. And also that HORRIBLE flying close to the ground, never taking air.....they're basically deformed eartbound creatures once you tame them.

Personality. Yes, personality. This does not mean something complicated, just simple things such as the pet exploring, sleeping when you stand still, sitting down, your character stroking its head or giving it a pat once in a while. Maybe some sort of mechanic that rewards you for not switching pets over and over just to keep different looks, much like the very simple mechanic of a horse that you steal/take/tame in Red Dead Redemption gaining trust in you, and thus gaining the maximum stamina. John Marston (the character) also pats his horse when sitting on it in a very nice way that gives me as an animal lover a bit of fun.

Actual protective stance. By this I mean that the pet will react to the surroundings, if it hears and sees a foe going for you, it will intercept/warn or at least try to do so even if you've put it on passive..it should still be aware, even if not taking action. When training working/protection dogs, you teach the dog to react with defense if someone acts hostile to its leader, even if the leader does not give a command. A dog will often know by nature, without training, if the human is in danger even long before the human knows it herself. I find it hard to believe that the pets used by characters in games such as these that we play, would wait for the foe to strike their master...they're trained and battle-hardened, they should show SOME ferocity when the situation calls for it.

Emotional displays. Animals involved in a fight growling and showing they're there, they're aware and they're ready. In short, give the beasts some expressions as well. This could also come in handy for stealthy reasons since the Thief could see if they're about to trigger the pets awareness...the ears could go back, slight growl, sniffing/looking around etc.

The pets should be a danger to other players. Being chased by the rangers pet, should be something to consider for the other player. In WoW Beastmastery we've been given a bit of that since the pet deals major damage with Kill Command, but in the other specs, people can even play around with the pet chasing them....

In short: I want the Ranger class to really feel like a ranger, and the pets to feel like reliable companions that give you more in return than just standing around looking like statues with a pulse.

What do YOU want from the pets?

(And going all "I'd not want pets at all, gief gunslinger!!" is not what I'm asking for here, if you don't want pets, play Engineer or thief).
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2011-10-29 at 11:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with avian pets is the targeting. It's hard to kill something 50 feet up. But otherwise I agree with most of this.

(Also, its my aspiration to retire and have a pet falcon/ hawk/ eagle/ raptor)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Necromancer, they must all explode causing the most damage possible! Good thread, interesting topic even for a non ranger. I also played a hunter in WoW and really preferred the unique pets because of their looks and the challenge acquiring them. If i did choose a ranger, the thing I would like to see most is the ability to customize them with armor so they do not all look the same, for instance wouldn't it be cool to equip your hawk with razor sharp stainless steel claw extensions or a larger pet with packs to carry extra materials?

"By the way Vlad..your name is epic, best I've seen so far to be planned for GW2. " I also wanted to say thanks, it's been my tag since 1999 and I plan to keep it as long as I am gaming.
    Last edited by Vlad Morbius; 2011-10-30 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much everything you just stated, especially the personality and the "bond" being formed.

I've always had a "main" pet in my years of playing WoW that I always had out with me when I was idle, even if he wasn't the current "pet of choice" for top DPS.

It would be nice to actually have some sort of connection\bonus to that one pet instead of it just being "one other pet."
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    As a Necromancer, they must all explode causing the most damage possible! Good thread, interesting topic even for a non ranger. I also played a hunter in WoW and really preferred the unique pets because of their looks and the challenge acquiring them. If i did choose a ranger, the thing I would like to see most is the ability to customize them with armor so they do not all look the same, for instance wouldn't it be cool to equip your hawk with razor sharp stainless steel claw extensions or a larger pet with packs to carry extra materials?

"By the way Vlad..your name is epic, best I've seen so far to be planned for GW2. " I also wanted to say thanks, it's been my tag since 1999 and I plan to keep it as long as I am gaming.

Yes..it would be very cool...I actually thought of a video by Lonely Island that'd explain how I feel about it and how I would react if they implemented something like that, but I'm afraid it'd not be accepted on this forum....:P

There's simply so much that they can do differently from other MMOs out there..and I hope they will!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they have a lot planned and to date have been very different in many things, well at least far different than the majority created in the last few years. I have faith in the dev team because they all actually seem to really care about being different and fixing a lot of the things players have found missing in MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    Pretty much everything you just stated, especially the personality and the "bond" being formed.

I've always had a "main" pet in my years of playing WoW that I always had out with me when I was idle, even if he wasn't the current "pet of choice" for top DPS.

It would be nice to actually have some sort of connection\bonus to that one pet instead of it just being "one other pet."
    Yeah I do the same thing, my common Barrens lion Sesam that I tamed at level 18 (I ran into the Barrens at level 10, died horribly, found it hilarious and continued doing it until a friend said I had to level up before being able to tame beasts from there) is my "Idle" pet and the pet I use when grinding and such, despite having Sambas the "new" lion...there's just the WILL for your character to connect with the pets that they master, and it's not really being met in mmos these days.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 12:16 AM ----------

Well they have a lot planned and to date have been very different in many things, well at least far different than the majority created in the last few years. I have faith in the dev team because they all actually seem to really care about being different and fixing a lot of the things players have found missing in MMOs.
    Yeah, I was myself impressed by the WILL that seems to be there, and their goals to really move away from grinding, tagging, hostile interractions with players in the game world because you fight for recourses, even when the shared goal is to help a questgiver "save" an area from a certain mob....

Some said that "Anet seems to want to move away from all things currently wrong in the biggest mmos, whilst also bringing the right with them in their own style and spirit!".

...maybe not a perfect translation since the dude that said it (the dude that got me hyped on GW2 in the first place) is Danish and didn't feel like speaking English at that very moment..

10+ Year Old Account
    The ability to personalize the relationship should go well beyond the name, just as it does in real life. I think being able to customize your pet, would go a long way in bringing that feeling to life. It would seem to me that the longer the bond with a pet is maintained the better it should perform which in effect gives you a reason to keep it. Give players a reason to care about them and make them a valuable addition to their character just as they are to most in real life. The beauty of this game design is the ability to fully customize and hold onto things in the game that you get attached too and a pet certainly fits the bill.

The ability to personalize the relationship should go well beyond the name, just as it does in real life. I think being able to customize your pet, would go a long way in bringing that feeling to life. It would seem to me that the longer the bond with a pet is maintained the better it should perform which in effect gives you a reason to keep it. Give players a reason to care about them and make them a valuable addition to their character just as they are to most in real life. The beauty of this game design is the ability to fully customize and hold onto things in the game that you get attached too and a pet certainly fits the bill.
    /bow

Exactly this, it would be heaven for anyone that loves the idea of proper Rangers and their companions.

In WoW I'd spend a lot of time hunting down just the right pet I wanted. Not just for PVE/PVP, but for the looks and the potential characters I could think of it having in RP as well. When it came to naming, I could easily spend up to an hour choosing just the right one.

In GW2, I would love to see pets as everything the OP mentioned. Something more than just a robotic companion following you around. Something to make ranger pets -feel- like they're truly a part of your character and not just a benefit in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Yes..it would be very cool...I actually thought of a video by Lonely Island that'd explain how I feel about it and how I would react if they implemented something like that, but I'm afraid it'd not be accepted on this forum....:P

There's simply so much that they can do differently from other MMOs out there..and I hope they will!
    Bahah I wanna know what video by them you were thinking about. haha
    But about this post, I dont really know how they can change from how they were in GW 1 except be a little more detailed and better looking...

One thing I'd love for them to do is if you're exploring the world and say you have a large cat pet, if there's a rodent critter nearby it'll actually chase it and eat it, thus increasing it's happiness or something.
    EDIT: Also, you can customise it to kinda do more what you want by a scolding/treating system.
    Raaaa!

10+ Year Old Account
    To be able to give those chubby wubby bears a belly rub.

Better post my answer in this thread before someone decides to lock it (getting tired of that tbf, sort out the squabble if it's that disturbing and don't lock honest threads) since I read something I did not quite like.

I read in a blog post about pets perhaps being "spirits" summoned and tanking real animal forms...I haven't been able to find anything confirming this, but I got a bit afraid that it's what the redesign of the pets is all about..

I as a ranger want real animals, not "spirits". I want to befriend and master my pet from the wild, not be some sort of Warlock/Shaman cross.

Anyone know anything fro recent times about this, and maybe got a link to share to the original blog post? I don't know its name, but it was about spirit GW2 Ranger pets, summoning and other none-"Rangerish" stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better post my answer in this thread before someone decides to lock it (getting tired of that tbf, sort out the squabble if it's that disturbing and don't lock honest threads) since I read something I did not quite like.

I read in a blog post about pets perhaps being "spirits" summoned and tanking real animal forms...I haven't been able to find anything confirming this, but I got a bit afraid that it's what the redesign of the pets is all about..

I as a ranger want real animals, not "spirits". I want to befriend and master my pet from the wild, not be some sort of Warlock/Shaman cross.

Anyone know anything fro recent times about this, and maybe got a link to share to the original blog post? I don't know its name, but it was about spirit GW2 Ranger pets, summoning and other none-"Rangerish" stuff.
    Alright so rangers CAN summon spirits, however these spirits will be almost exactly like the spirits in GW1, you summon a spirit (which is a utility skill) and it applies an area of effect buff/debuff to everyone (both allies and enemies) these spirits ARE physical things, if you summoned one in pvp and someone decided they don't like the effect it's giving off they can run over and kill it.

Pets will be a creature you tame in the wild, you can choose different skills (up to 4) for each creature. There are 12 species of creatures, and several subspecies for each species.

EX: Species: Drake, Subspecies: Salamander drake/ Lightning drake ect.

Every species has a group of movies that will be shared amongst ALL species, like all dogs/wolves can bite, and all cats can scratch etc. There will also be some subspecies moves that change from subspecies to subspecies, like some drakes breathe fire, some breathe lightning, some breathe noxious fumes.

I hope that i cleared this up a bit =D
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    How do you want your pets to be?
    On her back, bound from her wrists and ankles and wearing some attractive lingerie.

.....wait, did you mean pets as in animals?

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    On her back, bound from her wrists and ankles and wearing some attractive lingerie.

Hey! I do the same thing to my Do....g....... wait, you where talking about humans, not animals..... nvm.

Eny way! Instead of jumping in the air and curb stomping some one inorder to kill them, I would like the rangers "FINISH HIM" animation to be done by the pet, it could bite the opponents head of or set them on fire, some thing that involves the pet killing the oppenent would be nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post

Dom's FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Alright so rangers CAN summon spirits, however these spirits will be almost exactly like the spirits in GW1, you summon a spirit (which is a utility skill) and it applies an area of effect buff/debuff to everyone (both allies and enemies) these spirits ARE physical things, if you summoned one in pvp and someone decided they don't like the effect it's giving off they can run over and kill it.

Pets will be a creature you tame in the wild, you can choose different skills (up to 4) for each creature. There are 12 species of creatures, and several subspecies for each species.

EX: Species: Drake, Subspecies: Salamander drake/ Lightning drake ect.

Every species has a group of movies that will be shared amongst ALL species, like all dogs/wolves can bite, and all cats can scratch etc. There will also be some subspecies moves that change from subspecies to subspecies, like some drakes breathe fire, some breathe lightning, some breathe noxious fumes.

I hope that i cleared this up a bit =D
    Thanks a lot, it really did <3. I ain't got a problem with the Spirits of Nature (it just appeals to my Ranger-nerdyness), but I want real animals and seems my worries were uncalled for ^^.

Now only to continue the suffering and horrors of waiting for this game...

---------- Post added 2011-10-31 at 12:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by showstoppasaurs View Post
    Hey! I do the same thing to my Do....g....... wait, you where talking about humans, not animals..... nvm.

Eny way! Instead of jumping in the air and curb stomping some one inorder to kill them, I would like the rangers "FINISH HIM" animation to be done by the pet, it could bite the opponents head of or set them on fire, some thing that involves the pet killing the oppenent would be nice.
    That I would want as well! It just appeals to me more than the Ranger being the one finishing it all. I'd love if "Finish Him!!" meant the wolf went for the throat, the drake incinerated, the kitteh went for the neck or head and crushed it....Lols, macabre, but it's all in good fun :3, and makes it a bit more realistic since I bet the pet will always be more ferocious than the ranger herself.

Deleted
    the kitteh went for the neck or head and crushed it....
    I immediately thought of the latest Mortal Kombat game's fatality finishers: you get a sort-of an X-Ray view of the enemy's body and see in slow motion as each bone bends and snaps.