Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the combination of lack of an auto-attack and really bad players playing makes it look stiff. Every time I watch a gameplay video I just get frustrated about how bad people are, they don't queue abilities at all, they kind of just sit there and try to figure out what ability to press next. Without an auto-attack it looks like you're just standing there. I think it'll be different when you play it yourself, and if you're ranged you can run around and kite etc. I think it'll feel more like WoW for you.

I used to be concerned about this too and asked about it. Apparently it is just what is said above ... bad players. The videos often include people who got to play only for a moment. I think these people are pretty much the same that in wow are keyboard turners ... just slightly worse due to no autoattack, ect.

I have to agree, even in the new vids that have been linked here, animation quality is... kinda sucky.
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Sadly the OP is right, and it doesn't matter when the videos were released, you can see it in all of them, even the very last video released officially by Bioware (below). So unfortunately it's not an old build, and they won't have enough time to fix it before launch, this is what we're going to end up with in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B77Ia...tailpage#t=75s

That video in general shows what the OP is talking about, especially at the time index I've linked it to where some is getting blasted repeatedly by a blaster and not even flinching. Other than that, the movement animations (especially going from running to stopping) are very rigid looking and seem unusually slow.

This sort of thing is quite common in Bioware games though, where characters move and gesture robotically, but alot of the time the voice acting and dialogue is superb, so you don't really notice it so much. Walking around an fighting though, lets hope the scenery is distractingly pretty enough, or that the combat is intense enough to distract from it.

From what I've seen on the website the gameplay does look kind of clunky at times. But there are some big reasons for this:

1. Devs who backpaddle and manover their character terribly, for example rather walk with WASD then using the mouse.
    2. The devs who demonstrate use like 1 spell each 3rd second which is probably not what we will end up doing.
    3. In quite a few of the videos the devs are clicking their attacks...

Imagine having this game played with actual players who got everything keybinded and have a rotation running. I think that will look more impressive then what we get to see from the videos.

But then again I haven't tried the game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop giving ancedotes of your beta experiences.
    Stop breaking the NDA.

(This is in regards to every thread on this site, not just this thread)

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 06:58 AM ----------

For people that played in old beta builds, or watch old videos, yes, you will see clunky things. When I played it at PAX, I felt it was smooth as butter.

As said, the videos do the game no justice. It's one of those games that you need to put a little time on to start loving it.

Animations and stiff looking movement is in the eye of the beholder. To me personally, it's beautiful. To others, it's not. I look at other games that other people feel are superb in this department, and I see clunky things. I see WoW as disguising their poor animations by adding spins and flashing lights. Same with GW2. I've seen videos that show bad players hitting the same button 10 times. It makes it look boring and clunky. I see Tera in the same light. All the moves are over the top and just silly. Many people will whole heartedly disagree with those statements. That's because it's personal, like beauty.

You've yet to see "good" players play TOR. You've yet to see high level characters with more than a couple abilities so anything more than stand still and hit a boss. If you want to really compare what you are seeing to another game, compare it by level. All the low level TOR videos compared to other games at low level are not even comparable in my eyes. It's like night and day.

I can't understand the comments about not flinching when taking damage, yet in the same thought, comparing it to WoW's combat. I don't see their characters flinching either. I don't see that in many games actually. Or if they do, it's not realistic enough to matter. If they get hit in the side, they don't recoil the correct way for it. If they get knifed in the hamstring, they don't lurch and fall down. Etc etc. Don't put this game on a pedestal to complain at when the games you are comparing to are not doing the same things you are complaining about.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-30 at 02:02 PM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Xandel View Post
    Just today I started looking into SWTOR watching videos and stuff. I like the overall style of the graphics, but when it comes to combat it looks really clunky.

I'm not talking about the mechanics, but the looks of it. The animation for itself dont look that bad but they seem terribly clipped together. The bodies look very cramped and there is no response to taking damage at all.

If you see somone fast altering directions it looks very strange and there is no "in combat alertness stance" , and no dynamic at all. People are jogging around around like on a sunday morning and get shot by lasers as if it would be nothing.

I dont think i can get the right feeling of "Battle action" from the looks of the Videos. Combat looks sooooooo dull in this game, i dont get how they can mess this up so much.

For many this might only be cosmetically, but in my opinion animation is the key to the right feeling for your character (not so much the graphics), and so far what ive seen is very disappointing.
    Posts like these are times where I wish NDA went away, so I could talk about what's hiding behind it
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Has any MMO ever had combat that didn't look stiff on video?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Stop giving ancedotes of your beta experiences.
    Stop breaking the NDA.

(This is in regards to every thread on this site, not just this thread)

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 06:58 AM ----------

For people that played in old beta builds, or watch old videos, yes, you will see clunky things. When I played it at PAX, I felt it was smooth as butter.

As said, the videos do the game no justice. It's one of those games that you need to put a little time on to start loving it.

Animations and stiff looking movement is in the eye of the beholder. To me personally, it's beautiful. To others, it's not. I look at other games that other people feel are superb in this department, and I see clunky things. I see WoW as disguising their poor animations by adding spins and flashing lights. Same with GW2. I've seen videos that show bad players hitting the same button 10 times. It makes it look boring and clunky. I see Tera in the same light. All the moves are over the top and just silly. Many people will whole heartedly disagree with those statements. That's because it's personal, like beauty.

You've yet to see "good" players play TOR. You've yet to see high level characters with more than a couple abilities so anything more than stand still and hit a boss. If you want to really compare what you are seeing to another game, compare it by level. All the low level TOR videos compared to other games at low level are not even comparable in my eyes. It's like night and day.

I can't understand the comments about not flinching when taking damage, yet in the same thought, comparing it to WoW's combat. I don't see their characters flinching either. I don't see that in many games actually. Or if they do, it's not realistic enough to matter. If they get hit in the side, they don't recoil the correct way for it. If they get knifed in the hamstring, they don't lurch and fall down. Etc etc. Don't put this game on a pedestal to complain at when the games you are comparing to are not doing the same things you are complaining about.
    Had to quote the entire post since it was exactly what I wanted to say. Especially the bolded part. I honestly think half the threads started by people here are written with flamefests in mind. I mean come on, a logical, rational and an intelligent person would not start these threads complaining about "clunky, dull, undynamic" combat. You can't see the fluidity of the combat on a video. You just can't and I'm sure you damn well know that.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

Deleted
    As others have said, the 'stiff' combat videos are pretty dated. Naturally the NDA is in place so we cannot elaborate much, but rest assurred that gameplay is far from clunky.

It looks that way in all honesty because players are not good. I am a 2200-2300 rated arena player in wow. So i have the basics of mmo combat down pretty well. There is no autoattack in the game, you are literally supposed to be spamming abilities, each class has a resource that runs out eventually, but they have an "Autoattack" in a sense( an ability that dosent cost anything that dosent have a cooldown)-- that you are supposed to spam while waiting for your resource to come back . If you are doing that and playing properly, not only are you doing more dps, but it makes the games combat look much more smooth, the awkward looking gaps in between attacks are much smaller and less noticeable.

honestly though i think some of the animations should be sped up but thats just my opinion.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-30 at 03:57 PM.

I suppose I'd challenge anyone who thinks SW:ToR looks stiff to find an MMO on the market that looks better in terms of combat grahpics. (GW:2 Barred. Their graphics are intensely amazing.)

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I agree with the OP. Especially ranged combat animation looks very dull to me. It might be better ingame, but from the videos i've been watching,
    the lack of response to incoming attacks,
    the fact that characters walk like they have a wooden plank strapped to their backs
    and so on, looks rather silly at times.
    I think things will start to look better when you have more abilities at your disposal. I gotta agree ranged does look a bit dull when first starting out. It looks more interesting around level 14 and probably before that though when you have several more abilities to use. The below videos look good in my opinion as far as range is concerned when you have many abilities.

http://youtu.be/luKynXnf378
    http://youtu.be/k1i_bxfXUSw

I mean this is all opinion though you might still think it looks bad while I think it looks rather good.
    Last edited by Smitzelplix; 2011-10-30 at 04:17 PM.

there is only one thing stiff right now...

That is SWTOR overall - I am not a fan!

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-30 at 04:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been super sketchy about this game and pretty indifferent, but I just watched the Bounty Hunter vs. Jedi video and to be honest, I'm very impressed by it. I've seen the older videos with the Warhammer-esque clunky gameplay and just though "Well this game sucks." However, I think I'm going to give this game a go. Thanks for throwing that link out there, CrimsonKing.

On a side note; I'm still going to play WoW as I love my shadowpriest, but I will admit that this game is really good looking and it looks pretty damn fun. It's a shame that I'll have to pay more than one monthly subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Taldred View Post
    As others have said, the 'stiff' combat videos are pretty dated. Naturally the NDA is in place so we cannot elaborate much, but rest assurred that gameplay is far from clunky.
    Plenty of recent videos to watch without having to break the NDA

Quote Originally Posted by Taldred View Post
    As others have said, the 'stiff' combat videos are pretty dated.
    The one I linked in my post isn't even a week old...

I think people are missing one of the biggest reasons why MMO's don't have reactive animations for combat:

Latency.

In a perfect world, everyone would be running 30 ms Latency, and you could program a game to have reactive animations. But it would look beyond ugly to have those animations queue at the wrong time. That's why animations are almost always front loaded into attacks and movement - as those take the highest latency priority, while receiving damage takes a lower priority.

As to the movement, that's a personal opinion for most people. I think it looks great and quite natural.

Deleted
    i wish they add more "soft movement" when standing still, walking, etc.. Like swaying, shrugging, waving your arms, stuff like that. Anything to make the toons not look like the guards at buckingham palace.

(maybe its like this in the finished game, i wouldnt know. im not critizicing, im just voicing my wishes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    Your probably watching the 2 year old videos that everyone sees then comments on. Please watch this video and tell me combat is "Stiff"
    http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/voidstar-warzone
    You really just proved his point with that video. They literally do not react to getting hit by lasers and light sabers.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15