Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I dint meant how fluent the combat mechanics are. Thats something I cant tell from vidoes but it looks quite fun.

What i was talking about are the animations. The characters look so stiff because they move like robots. Too smymetrical and perfect.
    There is almost no movement in torso or like people before said it looks like a wooden stick clipped to their back.
    Body takes no response from feet touching the ground while running (well "jogging").
    In many situations animations look too fluent and slow but undynamic and should be more abrupt and impulsive( stopping, sprinting,abilities...)

And the might not be many MMOs who do that better but i think wow does this way better (at least with some races: Orcs , Undead, nightelf) in this and is 7 years old.
    Last edited by mmocb8fcca6597; 2011-10-30 at 05:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps it's just me, but I can't remember the last time I saw an Orc skid to a stop, or put a foot down to brace himself and watch his torso go through the correct movement because of the physics of the movement. And I just don't seem to find running with a bent back to be any different than running while straight up. I also don't recall any steps ever sending reverberations through the body to show impact. But, those are just my thoughts.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Perhaps it's just me, but I can't remember the last time I saw an Orc skid to a stop, or put a foot down to brace himself and watch his torso go through the correct movement because of the physics of the movement. And I just don't seem to find running with a bent back to be any different than running while straight up. I also don't recall any steps ever sending reverberations through the body to show impact. But, those are just my thoughts.
    Indeed, I still play WoW at the moment I haven't ever noticed any of that either. Indeed, I don't remember my Orc shuddering or anything when hit by a gigantic fireball, or see him flinch when running through fire, etc. Remember almost all videos have people who keyboard turn, click abilities, and don't know hardly anything about the class they're playing OR they're trying to show off what a certain move does (and they still 99% of the time suffer from the 3 previous things as well). I've seen entire vids where it's just SI's lightening people to show off that aspect.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    You really just proved his point with that video. They literally do not react to getting hit by lasers and light sabers.
    No, but compare that to WoW, and then come back and say it's "stiff".

Hell, there aren't even that many games where getting hit, unless it's fatal, produces anything too obvious, apart from perhaps a generic animation.

Maybe in some FPS games, but I can't recall any game where I can, for instance, shoot someone in the knee and have them fall to the floor unable to walk, or shoot someone in the arm and have them drop their guns etc. It just doesn't happen in games often, much less MMOs at all.

I don't get this, people are so desperate to look for some reason to hate SWTOR (I don't understand why), that they are coming up with absolutely ludacris arguments and standards for it.

It's almost like people are intimidated and feel they need to defend something else - wow, perhaps.

There are a great deal more Animations in ToR, if you watch some videos, you'll see a Jedi deflecting lots of blaster hits while running, or lightsaber combat where everything they're doing has a unique animation. It's not like WoW where it's one of a handful of animations, it appears that every attack has a unique animation - I'm not talking about an animation and then some different coloured flashing lights, I'm talking about entirely unique - I can't say this for certain, but there are indeed an awful lot of animations in the game, the combat feels extremely engaging and fun because of this.
    Last edited by Raeli; 2011-10-30 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandel View Post
    I dint meant how fluent the combat mechanics are. Thats something I cant tell from vidoes but it looks quite fun.

What i was talking about are the animations. The characters look so stiff because they move like robots. Too smymetrical and perfect.
    There is almost no movement in torso or like people before said it looks like a wooden stick clipped to their back.
    Body takes no response from feet touching the ground while running (well "jogging").
    In many situations animations look too fluent and slow but undynamic and should be more abrupt and impulsive( stopping, sprinting,abilities...)

And the might not be many MMOs who do that better but i think wow does this way better (at least with some races: Orcs , Undead, nightelf) in this and is 7 years old.
    I guess there are 2 versions of WoW around since my version doesn't have that.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

Deleted
    I don't get this, people are so desperate to look for some reason to hate SWTOR (I don't understand why), that they are coming up with absolutely ludacris arguments and standards for it.

It's almost like people are intimidated and feel they need to defend something else - wow, perhaps.
    I actually want SWTOR to be good and thats why im making thoughts aubout it and what is to improve from my point of view. Btw i dont play WoW anymore.

What i meant with the Orc for example is that there is a lot of movement when he walks within the body and you can see he is walking over concrete rather skimming over the ground. Even better if you have the ponytail and see it moving also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, watch the way capes and clothing move in TOR. That's pretty.

Deleted
    Well, watch the way capes and clothing move in TOR. That's pretty.
    Yeah that is really awesome! Will every class be able to wear cloaks ? Seems to me only jedi and sith w. do.

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels like a lot of people genuinely want to find flaws in TOR, judging it by a standard they don't hold other games to.

(not necessarily you, OP)

From what I've seen, TOR is definitely a step up from WoW's body animations. The parry animations are better, lightsaber users deflect some attacks while moving, the punch-style animations (like BH's and Trooper's hit with the butt of the gun) are much more realistic than the physical hits in WoW (stuff like Rogues' kick etc which are quite frankly barely noticeable).

When people are intent to find fault with something, they always will. I've already hear complaints that the game sucks because there aren't individual dances for every race like WoW...

After that, I kind of realized arguing with people who have a hidden agenda of defending some other game by trashing this one is useless.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's often overlooked (and hard to notice before you actually play it) are the subtle things. Watching the wrist movements not seen in other games, or the ankle pivots, or the way re neck and head move with the actions, the clothing, the parries and dodges, the finger movement, the blinking eyes, the hair movement, and other things I can't think of atm, all stand out.

sooooo

the way the trooper runs in the troopper pvp video is stiff. the shoulders move as she runs, i see slight bobing of body while she runs,

the combat is clunky, she moves into a stance when she fires her rifle, she recoils when she lobs a grenade from rifle, she turns side to side while she sprays blaster bolts all over the empire,

combat not fluid hhmmmm well she went from firing her blaster to firing a greneade to setting up a volley all with great fluidity i didnt see 1ce where it stopped did a attack stopped did next attack stopped then set up the volley.

Patch data protected by NDA.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-31 at 01:25 PM.
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

People need to also remember that videos that are officially shown are usually played by noobs or devs/friends & family that don't really actually play the game as extensively as the avg player would

when you see player videos, you will notice that combat looks much more smooth
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    What's often overlooked (and hard to notice before you actually play it) are the subtle things. Watching the wrist movements not seen in other games, or the ankle pivots, or the way re neck and head move with the actions, the clothing, the parries and dodges, the finger movement, the blinking eyes, the hair movement, and other things I can't think of atm, all stand out.
    The individual animations in TOR are great. But in combat (and running) there is just something...off. Perhaps it is the lack of a reaction while getting hit. Compare that to a game like Vindictus where you "feel" every hit. Even in AoC you can see the blood spatter when you get hit, it seems a lot more viceral. Perhaps you don't need that level in TOR but some static combat animations might be nice to put in. I think the biggest culprit of what I'm talking about is when you see a ranged fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think so many people say this because of the videos Bioware puts out. The character progression videos and the other class videos just look plain awful. That is what makes the game look clunky and slow. Actual game footage looks pretty darn good from what I have seen in videos in the past. If you take the actual walkthrough type videos and put them side by side with the character progression videos it looks like two different games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenik View Post
    NDA snip
    This intrigues me.

Shame I'll be able to see it firsthand only in ~1.5 months from now. Feels like an eternity.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-31 at 01:25 PM.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilobyte View Post
    i wish they add more "soft movement" when standing still, walking, etc.. Like swaying, shrugging, waving your arms, stuff like that. Anything to make the toons not look like the guards at buckingham palace.

(maybe its like this in the finished game, i wouldnt know. im not critizicing, im just voicing my wishes.)
    The thing is, these are pretty much the equivalent of the royal guard. These are the most disciplined fighters in the galaxy. They stand up straight because that is how to be at your best. These are not slouches. They are focused, fighting machines.

That said, I do not feel that my character needs to limber-up in front of me.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    They literally do not react to getting hit by lasers and light sabers.
    I would call parrying and reflecting lasers quite a bit reactive.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 05:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I think so many people say this because of the videos Bioware puts out. The character progression videos and the other class videos just look plain awful. That is what makes the game look clunky and slow. Actual game footage looks pretty darn good from what I have seen in videos in the past. If you take the actual walkthrough type videos and put them side by side with the character progression videos it looks like two different games.
    I have no freaking idea who is running their promotional department, but they are doing a really shitty job imo. You pretty much have to go off their site to find videos of solid gameplay. I could have done better myself, seriously.
    Last edited by Roose; 2011-10-30 at 10:14 PM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I have no freaking idea who is running their promotional department, but they are doing a really shitty job imo. You pretty much have to go off their site to find videos of solid gameplay. I could have done better myself, seriously.
    Reminds me of the player communication skills of the Blizzard team.

Is this a syndrome of big gaming companies or smth?

i never really was interested in TOR, but that bounty hunter vid on the first page got something stiff >.>
    "you don't realize what a complete idiot you are"
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Ignited lightsabres isn't combat ready? They're not nightlamps.
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght