Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I think his point is that almost all of the Jedi in the movies employ many different techniques and abilities and that movies don't translate perfectly into gameplay.

It's a valid point for the casual customer. "I WANNA DO THIS EXACTLY LIKE THE MOVIE", etc. I agree that those type of expectations are just stupid and unreasonable though. It's a fun universe, but you aren't going to ever exactly recreate a movie in a game (nor are they trying to).

Anyway...

I know it sounds trivial, and maybe it is. I never brought it up before in regards to the other MMOs I stopped playing.

However, when I saw this topic, I realized that other people out there felt the same way... that when they played other MMOs, things just didn't feel "right". I feel exactly the same. It is hard to describe (and I'm not the most talented person when it comes to descriptions already).
    While I can agree and see where you are coming from the problem here is that no one has really played pvp in the end level environment yet. There is no basis for the way they feel. Yes I can understand looking at the videos people have seen people get that impression but I am pretty sure top level that will not be the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think his point is that almost all of the Jedi in the movies employ many different techniques and abilities and that movies don't translate perfectly into gameplay.
    I wasn't really trying to make a counter-point there, just a lame joke-like interjection =)

It's a valid point for the casual customer.
    I think the person you are describing here should be called something other than a "casual customer", more like a juvenile impossible-to-please idiot.

Because this sentiment right here:
    "I WANNA DO THIS EXACTLY LIKE THE MOVIE"
    is monumentally moronic, and a person thinking that is likely to never enjoy a lot of games, not only TOR.

On the topic of good/bad promo trailers, I recently dug up this one, and I think it's one of the better ones:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsxdM...layer_embedded

Especially towards the end.

Things like the moment where the Sentinel does a reverse-stab is an example of the animations I find very visually pleasing in TOR.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-04 at 11:11 AM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    I have one thing to ask for.

Why the hell are some Jedi and Sith classes basically "Mages" with their lightsabre having no real function as they sit and cast force fireballs.

Thats an extremely retarded thing and something Jedi and Sith were NEVER about even in KoToR

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post

Why the hell are some Jedi and Sith classes basically "Mages" with their lightsabre having no real function as they sit and cast force fireballs.

Thats an extremely retarded thing and something Jedi and Sith were NEVER about even in KoToR
    Well...probably similar to why they are using the holy trinity gameplay. It is what it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well...probably similar to why they are using the holy trinity gameplay. It is what it is.
    You mean more along the lines of "we are unimaginative so we go with what everyone else did."

It's a stupid concept and it drags down the game as a whole for the sake of bad gameplay.

You mean more along the lines of "we are unimaginative so we go with what everyone else did."

It's a stupid concept and it drags down the game as a whole for the sake of bad gameplay.
    Well I don't like it either as it doesn't seem very Star Wars like. But I'm going to play the game for other reasons than the combat mechanics.

Deleted
    Well I don't like it either as it doesn't seem very Star Wars like. But I'm going to play the game for other reasons than the combat mechanics.
    I pity you then, because thats like playing World of Warcraft for the storylines too.

I pity you then, because thats like playing World of Warcraft for the storylines too.
    Meh, I have always enjoyed BioWare games. But they have never had stellar combat in any game that I can remember. About the best I can recall was Mass Effect 2 and that one was subpar for an FPS (or TPS, whatever).

Deleted
    Meh, I have always enjoyed BioWare games. But they have never had stellar combat in any game that I can remember. About the best I can recall was Mass Effect 2 and that one was subpar for an FPS (or TPS, whatever).
    Bioware have always had the good ability of macro-storytelling. They can create settings, scenes and things like that with great detail and amazing work, the mass effect universe is a good example of it as well as all the settings in TOR universe.

Where they have always fallen down, is their character development, where the actual writing for the character is either bland and generic (karth/kaiden, who are pretty much the same person but one is magic). The Only characters I have ever seen Bioware create well are those that are left blank, or those whos voice acting gave them alot of personality ( wrex and Garrus ). One of the main selling points they are trying to put out is the "characters" interaction on the same level as Mass effect. it feels like they are focusing on a weakness without going with the strengths of what an MMO can bring, like large planet side battles and fleet boarding actions.

I really really wish I was willing to break the NDA to tell you how wrong you are, but I'm not, so I'll just say "it's really not looking like that," and leave it there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the combat in ToR, to my eyes, isn't too bad. However, when you put it along side of WoW, it's not too great. Along side GW2, it looks horrendous in comparison, speaking in terms of animations and transitions.

Despite that, I just don't care. I preordered one game, and I'll do the same for the other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    I really really wish I was willing to break the NDA to tell you how wrong you are, but I'm not, so I'll just say "it's really not looking like that," and leave it there.
    Thats an exceptionally good thing to hear at the least, the previous shots of the sith Inquisitor showed mainly lightning flashing around and a few force shokes or whatever from ranged.

It's strange but to me I would never want any sith or jedi to be ranged at whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The funny thing is though, just by stating this - you already are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    The funny thing is though, just by stating this - you already are.
    NDA's are against leaking specifics mostly, saying "They don't play like ## archtype" isn't against an NDA.

Deleted

I've got zero inside knowledge here, but I don't actually think that's a problem. Looking at purely game public domain information the only "mage like" classes are the Consular and the Inquisitor, and of those only *one* of two Advanced Classes seems to be ranged focused (Assassin and Shadow both look like they use lightsabers in close combat) and it seems likely that even the Sage and Sorcerer will be able to a more melee-focused role.

So what we've got here is one Jedi and one Sith advanced class, which (maybe, because we don't actually know much at all for sure) has the *option* to take a purely ranged playstyle. And to be honest if standing at the back and spamming Force Lightning is good enough for Emperor Palpatine, it's good enough for me.

Melee animations are ok.

Caster animations however.. *I'm swinging my hand from left to right for every spell I have* gets freaking dull. I hope they touch up on it. It doesn't have to be like Goku's x10 Kamehameha or anything, but I'd like them to 'get into it' a bit. Do a twist, show that their actually conjuring force around them. Sort of like how the "Hope" cinematic ended and Malgus got pwned. It seemed like she was really getting into it.

I mean if they can make melee animations look flashy I'm sure they could work something out with casters.

NDA's are against leaking specifics mostly, saying "They don't play like ## archtype" isn't against an NDA.
    Their intent, sure, but the specifics state that you aren't allowed to give opinions, and that the only thing you are allowed to state is that there is a beta and that you are in it, stating that you know someone else's opinion is wrong as a result of being in beta, as such, is breaking NDA. If it's anything to do with Beta and it's not "I am in the beta." or "Yes, there is a beta." then it's probably broken the NDA.

Sure, most such posts contain no information at all, and I don't think anyone would pursue someone for saying such a thing, but I was just correcting him by saying that what he said already broke NDA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost every ability of every class can be used while moving. Only 1 of the 4 classes on each side use cover, and only 1 or 2 specs of the 5 actually rely on it.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account

If you look at some of the videos they are using the lightsabers to block blaster fire, so the casters/healers use them defensively I'd assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Have to ask people that are on Beta, and I know its against NDA, so not asking for specifics, but do ranged classes with weapons actually move during combat, or do they mainly just stay static.
    Only reason I am asking, is I can vaguely remember something being talked about the ranged classes using cover and being very active, ot just the stand and press a button repeatedly, but watching that video, they just stood there firing their gun, and it looked a bit silly to say the least. Yes, yes, I know WoW does it, but WoW is a 7 year old game, this is brand new and meant to be cutting edge and a WoW killer, but it seems they have just nabbed the exact same combat type with a couple of changes.

All in all, I am very underwhelmed by watching that and a few other videos, and think Blizzard don't really have much to worry about :S
    You can see in various offical videos of ranged classes firing while running, doing a variety of moves, there appears to be grenade throwing, and shooting at the very least while on the move. Does that mean all attacks can be cast on the move - I don't know, however, it certainly seems like *some* can be.