Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    It is, however, a valid concern. Combat will be an incredibly important part of the game. Right now, to my mind, combat isn't looking that impressive. Even on some of the newer videos.

However, when you get down to it, you can't really judge that well from videos and even Warcrafts combat system can look a little stiff when viewed through a video. Ultimately, this is something that can only really be judged through playing the game.

EJL
    Exactly this.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

I don't understand why everyone has to compare this game to WoW. It's not wow. It's fucking star wars. Play the game for what it's worth and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    ''The combat feels like Wow witch is realy good.The only thing Blizzard did right was combat and how smooth it looks.''

That's the statement that I replied to that you decided to quote, surely even the biggest TOR fan on the planet can see that's utter bollocks.
    The second half of the quote has nothing to do with TOR, it could be the opinion of any MMO fan, I personally don't think its true either. The first half of the quote is spot on, it does feel like WoW and that is a very good thing.

All the people saying bullshit like "TOR pwns WoW" blah blah just make the rest of us true fans look bad.

I played WoW since beta, still do sometimes to raid with friends, it is a great game that i have great memories in. WoW has brought many changes to the genre, some for the better and some for the worse IMO. I personally do not like the direction the game is going and am a huge fan of Star Wars and BW rpg's so the change is natural for me.

TOR is far from perfect and once the NDA drops I will give my official review. However it is an extremely good game, and as far as sci-fi MMOs go, it will probably be the benchmark in the themepark category. What they do with it post release will be the key to its success longtime. That and listening to the beta feedback of the sensible players.

Quote Originally Posted by pmgbro View Post
    I don't understand why everyone has to compare this game to WoW. It's not wow. It's fucking star wars. Play the game for what it's worth and enjoy it.
    Its an MMO with a combat system that - when you get down to it - appears to bevery similar to that in use by WoW.

Love it or loathe it, combat will be a very important aspect of the game. Bioware have to get more than the mechanics right....the system has to "feel" right as well. WoWs combat system isn't perfect. But it still feels better than the combat system used by its competitors....even when they are very similar in many respects. And what makes or breaks the system is often the little things.

SWTOR is definitely going to be worth checking out. As I said....the videos I've seen have been...IMO...less than impressive but I would say that about WoWs combat videos as well. The feel of the system cannot be demonstrated through video only but the concern that the stiffness seen in some of the combats demos - even some of the new combat demos - will detract from the game is a very valid concern.

It sometimes doesn't take much to make or break a system and we have numerous examples where small "flaws" or poor mechanics in combat can really take the joy out of a game. Even in WoW.

In short - the concern here is a very valid one, but one that cannot be expunged without playing the game. The videos simply aren't impressive enough.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Mod Note: Some people are coming awfully close to trolling. Cut it out. That goes for everyone. Even if you are defending the game. DO. NOT. TROLL.
    I think this thread has been over discussed already, it could need a lock.
    The same terrible arguments by a new guy came back 3 times and was demolished 3 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    It's one of those things that you might not notice at first, but once you do, it's distractingly obvious. Like this:

The horror!
    thats his hand.. You can count 4 fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post

All the people saying bullshit like "TOR pwns WoW" blah blah just make the rest of us true fans look bad.
    So I'm not a true fan if I think "TOR pwns WoW"? Hmm I didn't know you were the one who wrote the dictionary entry of what a true fan is.

People arn't allowed to hate WoW and like something else? Do I not truely like pizza because I hate WoW? Just because you don't hate WoW doesn't mean that nobody can no matter how much you want it to be.

Anyways, more on topic. I was fooled into thinking the combat looked a little stiff when I watched some videos/interviews. After looking a little further my fears were diminished when I realized that the specific ones I was judging the combat on were actually from 2009/2010. I soon started to see more updated combat and it has certainly improved to the point wher it looks fine.

I'm not gonna say they are the best combat graphics I have ever seen in a virtual reality but they are certainly the best I have seen from an MMORPG.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    thats his hand.. You can count 4 fingers.

Who ever said it wasn't his hand? The point of the image is that once you see the weirdness, illusion or not, it's very hard to look at it the same way again.

Jeez, some people love to suck the fun out of everything.

Back on topic, I think Talen has got it spot on, it's a possible concern, but without playing the game you won't know for sure if it'll bother you. I've played it and it does bother me a little (not enough to stop me playing it though), but I'm well aware not everyone will feel the same way.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-11-07 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    Your probably watching the 2 year old videos that everyone sees then comments on. Please watch this video and tell me combat is "Stiff"
    http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/voidstar-warzone
    Combat looks stiff....

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Rofl, posts like this are hilarious.

Some of these TOR fans blow my mind.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 12:15 PM ----------

Even that doesn't sell the game for me, not to mention parts of it are clearly cinematics.
    Thank you for your contribution. From a whole series of very valuable contributions.

The stupid shortsighted TOR fans cherish your wisdom that shines like a ray of hope upon our denial and ignorance, washing away both like the summer rain washes away dark thoughts.

We hope you will continue to come to these sub-forums to express your deeply intellectual and meaningful insights, that are in no way repetitive or pointless.

We also highly value your personal approach to leading a discussion, which is entirely devoid of ad hominem attacks, veiled insults and arrogance.

It is truly a breath of fresh air to see such remarkable posters on our boards. Your presence here enriches both the conversation itself and the community in general.

Once again, thank you so very much.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-07 at 08:33 PM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    Combat looks stiff....
    Hallelujah, my friend! YOU deserve the post of a lifetime award on these forums. The sharp wit, cutting edge thought process, and last but not least, the amount of constructive logic that went into your post is just astounding. I wish I could be like you but no, I must be content with my brain functions which are below par compared to you, Mr. Mastermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    Hallelujah, my friend! YOU deserve the post of a lifetime award on these forums. The sharp wit, cutting edge thought process, and last but not least, the amount of constructive logic that went into your post is just astounding. I wish I could be like you but no, I must be content with my brain functions which are below par compared to you, Mr. Mastermind.
    I think you and I had a simultaneous urge to make ironic posts =)
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    I think you and I had a simultaneous urge to make ironic posts =)
    Yeah, it's so hard to control oneself with the obvious trolls running amok.

Looks pretty boring tbh, but I cant fully judge cause the video doesent actually show gameplay. Are there any real vids of actual gameplay?

Quote Originally Posted by cleveland4life View Post
    Looks pretty boring tbh, but I cant fully judge cause the video doesent actually show gameplay. Are there any real vids of actual gameplay?
    A semi-decent video featuring some gameplay at a convetion was posted a few pages ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4-0aurF-9k

Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    A semi-decent video featuring some gameplay at a convetion was posted a few pages ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4-0aurF-9k
    So...its WoW with clunkier combat,but shinier coat of paint? Thats all that vid showed me / :

Can't even wait a whole page, after my little note, without some one trolling. Closed.