Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think it's because ultimately the name Sith hearkens back to a long lost age of innocence for some people.

About five years old.

No front teeth. Cute little gap.

The lisp.

Say it with me now everyone. Sith. I canth theem to thay enything righth thooday.

Deleted
    I've never understood why some people try and claim that one faction in an MMORPG will have more immature players than the other. I for one have met brilliant and horrible players on both factions in WoW and the same applies to Aion, Rift and the various other MMORPG's I have tried over the years.

It all boils down to personal tastes. I'm going with the Empire simply because I prefer morally grey characters in my chosen forms of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    In RPGs I always tend to pick the "good" options too since I end up feeling guilty if I don't, or well, it depends - if I'm talking to a guy and he's an ass, I'm not going to care about being an ass back, and I don't usually do the options that involve giving away free credits to people, but you catch my drift - I don't generally just choose to kill people.
    It's weird, but I do that too. My first Dragon Age or Mass Effect play-throughs, for example, are as a good character. I consider that my "cannon" game, and when I go back and play as an evil dick, that's just for fun. When you're torching some little kid's parents in a video game, it can still make you feel a little bit shitty. I think, in the end, that's part of a fun. That choices like that, even in a game, when they can bring out an emotional response (like when Aeris died in FF7 lol) make it that much more awesome.

It also kind of puts you in another person's shoes for awhile. Imagine an evil guy IRL doing nasty things. I'm sure they're not totally free of conscience, so when they're doing something horrible for those last few dollars, they feel the same kind of guilt. Only magnified, obviously, as someone real is effected.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Deleted
    I believe that that especially more mature generations (30+) will tend more to the republic because of the way the empire was displayed in the original movies. The Empire became more appealing when the sith were being brought to a larger crowd (they were never mentioned in the first 3 movies). Reading about them in the books and being able to play them in the games (KotOR) drew a lot of people to the dark side but that was 20 years after the original movies.

I personally would rather play Obi Wan Kenobi than Darth Vader ... but my wife is playing sorcerer so i will end up with a sith warrior ... or bounty hunter.
    Last edited by mmoc250e078684; 2011-10-31 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus83 View Post
    I believe that that especially more mature generations (30+) will tend more to the republic because of the way the empire was displayed in the original movies. The Empire became more appealing when the sith were being brought to a larger crowd (they were never mentioned in the first 3 movies). Reading about them in the books and being able to play them in the games (KotOR) drew a lot of people to the dark side but that was 20 years after the original movies.
    I agree with this, I have had this opinion since before I got my CE.
    As a WoW player (horde) sometimes the silliness in trade chat is annoying.
    Can you imagine the trade chat with younger Sith players?..... I couldn't stand it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfram View Post
    I agree with this, I have had this opinion since before I got my CE.
    As a WoW player (horde) sometimes the silliness in trade chat is annoying.
    Can you imagine the trade chat with younger Sith players?..... I couldn't stand it.
    Kid will be in both faction, dont start with that bad argument. Most people that you think that are kids trolling in trade chat are for most more than 30 years old.

Deleted
    People like playing the bad guy I don't mind playing a bad guy but I generally pick good because everyone picks bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Most people that you think that are kids trolling in trade chat are for most more than 30 years old.
    Do you have anything more than claims to back this statement up? Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but it's a big claim to make without any proof.

Deleted
    to be honest, the way i understand is; they want to be the bad guys just to be able to call all light-side players childish, just like it's usualy with ally-horde choices

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    to be honest, the way i understand is; they want to be the bad guys just to be able to call all light-side players childish, just like it's usualy with ally-horde choices
    Those sort of people are just petty and exist everywhere though - more focused on insulting others to make themselves feel better rather than just enjoying the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Kid will be in both faction, dont start with that bad argument. Most people that you think that are kids trolling in trade chat are for most more than 30 years old.
    I agree there will be kids in both factions, and maybe my post could have suited you more if used the word immature instead of younger.
    it isn't the age of players that I am avoiding, more the " evil/self-serving roleplay" aspect of trade chat.

Yeah I should have written immature.

No offence to Sith players that aren't trolling jerks, as I'm sure a vast number are.

It is very simple why Sith is so popular. Sith are kind a like the "forbidden fruit" it tast the sweetest. Simply because they represents "evil" they are more attractive to alot of people. It's like they talk to our basic instincts. You will always have people, be it kids or adults that will role one cos it's the cool thing to do. And you will have the "heroes" roling Republic classes to save the universe.

I will be rolling one simply because I find the lore and everything about them attractive.
    Last edited by Belial; 2011-10-31 at 02:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't explain why I'm going Sith. When I saw the movies as a little boy of course I wanted to be a Jedi. Actually, I still do. A Jedi, not a Sith. Also, when I play RPGs, I'm always on the first walkthrough the lawful good hero who doesn't even take a reward when offered. On the second walkthrough I become this evil prick just to see the other side. I think it could be how Bioware portrayed Malgus. I just love that character to death and want to fight on the same side as him. So Sith will be my main.

But since I'm an altoholic and I will want to see all class stories, it sort of balances itself out. I'm 30, by the way. Far from a WoW kid.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    I'm just wondering, perhaps it's just a feeling, but there seems to be a favouring of the Sith for people's choices of characters. Other than the Bounty Hunter, which is without a doubt cooler than the Trooper counterpart, I don't see the appeal of them. So I'm curious, why do you want to be Sith instead of a part of the Republic?
    because Sith Inquisitor is beyond OP and there is no point playing any other class. Every con game showing the class is basically idiot proof faceroll. It is like people who rolled Defiant Kelari in Rift because the racial before release was beyond OP. It is the exact same thing and will lead to horrible balance issues.

Also get used to it now:
    Republic = Alliance
    Sith = Horde

Sorry just deal with the comparison until the WoW crowd quits after the first free month.

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because I can't play Bounty Hunter on jedi side.

Star wars is boring imo.

Then don't post in this forum. Infracted.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-31 at 02:54 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    because Sith Inquisitor is beyond OP and there is no point playing any other class. Every con game showing the class is basically idiot proof faceroll. It is like people who rolled Defiant Kelari in Rift because the racial before release was beyond OP. It is the exact same thing and will lead to horrible balance issues.
    The game is still in Beta - what makes you think they aren't working out balance kinks now before it is released?

On topic - ironically, my guild wanted to be Empire initially because we figured they would be the underdogs - which is how we roll =p
    Then the statistics started showing that Empire is going to outnumber Republic, so we did a 180 and now we're going republic since it looks like they will be the underdogs.

Honestly, when you think of the original Star Wars movie, who is the first character to come to mind? You know it's Darth Vader - maybe closely followed by Han Solo =p But seriously, Sith are iconic bad-asses. Last year, one of the video game websites did a battle royale where they took everyone's favorite bad guys from film and game and pitted them all against each other. Each round, you got to vote who would win. Vader won the whole shabang. Of course people want to play Sith!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollis View Post
    Honestly, when you think of the original Star Wars movie, who is the first character to come to mind? You know it's Darth Vader
    R2D2 first, and always.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I think of Luke or Yoda first. /shrug

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

What kind of Star Wars nerds are you guys?? (lol just teasing)

I was like 6 or 7 years old when Empire Strikes Back came out, and I remember being piss-in-my-pants scared every time Vader came on the screen. Then my older brother got this toy that looked like Vader's helmet, but it was a storage case, you could open it up and store minis in it - that thing always scared me too