Deleted

Couple questions

I've been watching quite some videos on gw2 and all I'm seeing is the person that is actually showing off the demo (someone from the dev team I assume) playing the game, while someone else commentates on what he/she is doing. The person playing then continues to get his ass wooped, hardly dodging anything (famed mechanic?) and when dodging 50% of the time still getting hit, ending up in the downed-state looking to be revived. Does the combat actually work or is it just awkward and annoying (like it would seem to me in the videos).

Another thing I've noticed is that they're saying ''We will now use this ability'' and you don't really see that ability happen or the effects of it. Like the video of the thief shooting through the fire wall, you don't see flaming bullets nor do you see something like +12 damage from fire wall. Is this just because the game isn't done yet or have they not thought things through? Does anyone have a video of for example someone showing off all the abilities on a training dummy or something alike?

My final question concerns Pvp: are there 2 factions that you choose from at the start of the game and will you run into people randomly in questing areas from another faction that you will need to fight if they decide to attack you or is pvp only something you do when you queue up for it?

Thnx in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    Like the video of the thief shooting through the fire wall, you don't see flaming bullets nor do you see something like +12 damage from fire wall.
    IIRC, the bullets travelling through fire means that they will also carry the burning condition (think debuff).

My final question concerns Pvp: are there 2 factions that you choose from at the start of the game and will you run into people randomly in questing areas from another faction that you will need to fight if they decide to attack you or is pvp only something you do when you queue up for it?
    ArenaNet's philosophy is that you should never be unhappy to see another person in the world. The game is designed to be as co-operative as possible, so there is no kill stealing or mob tagging, when you mine a node you only mine it for yourself, and there is one faction so people can't gank you then corpse camp you for hours.

GW2 however does have world vs world vs world PVP, which puts 3 servers against each other in a 2 week long 24/7 battle. Think old AV on crazy.

Deleted
    Can you link the video please? I have the feeling you're talking about the very early video of one of the first plays of the starter human area? In that there were a lot of things missing that were added later.

Deleted
    Another thing I've noticed is that they're saying ''We will now use this ability'' and you don't really see that ability happen or the effects of it. Like the video of the thief shooting through the fire wall, you don't see flaming bullets nor do you see something like +12 damage from fire wall. Is this just because the game isn't done yet or have they not thought things through? Does anyone have a video of for example someone showing off all the abilities on a training dummy or something alike?
    The reason you don't see the bullets catch fire is because not all cross profession combos are in game yet, so even though you can do things, the effects haven't been added yet.

Deleted
    Like the video of the thief shooting through the fire wall, you don't see flaming bullets nor do you see something like +12 damage from fire wall.
    Maybe the effect for the firewall shoot-through wasn't in the game at that time, also you can't even see the bullets flying in the air anyway.

There are no factions, the pvp is about server vs server (I think), and no, you can't get ganked by random players during questing or whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    IIRC, the bullets travelling through fire means that they will also carry the burning condition (think debuff).

ArenaNet's philosophy is that you should never be unhappy to see another person in the world. The game is designed to be as co-operative as possible, so there is no kill stealing or mob tagging, when you mine a node you only mine it for yourself, and there is one faction so people can't gank you then corpse camp you for hours.

GW2 however does have world vs world vs world PVP, which puts 3 servers against each other in a 2 week long 24/7 battle. Think old AV on crazy.
    That sounds awesome, I'm curious to see how it will work out of there not being any involuntary pvp. Sure getting ganked isn't any fun, but running into another player from an opposing faction every now and then adds a bit of excitement (to me it is like coming across a very powerfull boss when you know you will lose from that player, making you do all sorts of sneaking around untill they pass).

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Can you link the video please? I have the feeling you're talking about the very early video of one of the first plays of the starter human area? In that there were a lot of things missing that were added later.
    One that shows my concern really clearly is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipnfzAz8Ak (starting at the thief part ~18.00), but it is also the videos of the high level dynamic events that I see them running around unsure of what they are actually doing, focus seems to be more on jumping into some cannon around the edges and again I'm not able to say: ''omg this and that ability looks awesome'' because I'm unsure wether or not they're even doing anything aside from seeing their abilities go on cooldown.

If anyone could link a video clearly showing abilities, when they are used and their effects it would be much appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    The person that is playing in that video is really really bad hehe, that is why they backpedal, never kite and don't dodge. Combat is extremely flashy right now, which I think hinders my view of seeing flaming bullets/arrows, if I remember correctly they did mention they would tone that down because of people not liking it though.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-healkDctCw

This video I hadn't seen does show some cool abilities from the guardian and its effects are being explained too, but not alot of damage avoiding going on yet. Then again it is totalhalibut playing...

Keep in mind that most of the gameplay videos out there are of people who never played the game before, not to mention the fact that they had to be standing while playing. Also the keyboards at the expos left something to be desired according to TB. Nevertheless, there are a few videos of more skilled participants wich show some nice dodging and positioning. Take this one for example: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRlFViMpewI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL (about 2:15 in)

If you want some gameplay videos with a bit more skillful play I recommend checking out the rest of the videos on that channel.

Remember that 90% of the videos out there are players just touching the game for the very first time, do not expect any of them to have a clue whats going on. Even ones with developer commentary are not necessarily showing game-play by an experienced player. That and conditions at the demos are hardly ideal. Unfamilliar keyboards and mice, normaly standing instead of siting, earspliting noise to distract you. Look for the developer PVP matches if you want to see more skilled gameplay.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been watching quite some videos on gw2 and all I'm seeing is the person that is actually showing off the demo (someone from the dev team I assume) playing the game, while someone else commentates on what he/she is doing. The person playing then continues to get his ass wooped, hardly dodging anything (famed mechanic?) and when dodging 50% of the time still getting hit, ending up in the downed-state looking to be revived. Does the combat actually work or is it just awkward and annoying (like it would seem to me in the videos).
    http://youtu.be/IyspIAWqacA?hd=1
    http://youtu.be/pnwPcgm7-Iw?hd=1
    http://youtu.be/DEMTZYsy6go?hd=1
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist