Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    6/7 25 man HC. I don't use DBM, but I do use DXE. Whilst it's not needed for anything exactly (barring Molten Seeds), it just improves your play in a pile of subtle ways. Knowing when something is coming is infinitely better than just getting a boss emote when it actually happens.

Deleted
    Guild is 7/7H, personally I'm, 6/7H, and I use it.

6/7hc , 5 hours per week , and yes i do use DBM

6/7H and I use DXE

Deleted
    Well all the people that are not useing timers are probably pretty "casual" compared to the people like me who are pretty hardcore, as i personaly raid lead i NEED to have an addon i use many such as DBM, DXE and big wigs all at the same time for bosses that are new and buggy such as RAG HC the first few weeks timers were so off.

People that dont use timers are just lucky that their raid leader is calling everything out on vent cuz otherwise they would die on half of the encounters.

Oh yeah 7/7HC
    Last edited by mmoc93dfe559b5; 2011-10-30 at 11:36 AM.

Our guild runs two groups, one is 7/7N, the other 1/7H. I have a character in each group and I do not use DBM. I've tried out DBM a few times, but I find it much more distracting than helpful.
    Last edited by Xendai; 2011-10-30 at 11:38 AM.

Should probably have written that I meant any sort of addon which helps you notice things in a raid environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezagred View Post
    Well, do you? I don't and I have 6/7 on heroic. I don't find it a neccesity to actually clear the content.
    It's not to sound elitist or brag, especially since we haven't killed heroic Ragnaros yet, I am merely curious as to what other people have.

(DBM=Deadly Boss Mods in case someone doesn't know)
    This just means you're relying on the rest of your raid members to verbally call out when important things are about to happen. So in other words, you're hindering your guild.

Try running your 6/7H with your entire raid not using any bossmods, and see how much of a "neccesity" it is then.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I use Bigwigs. But only because i tend to call out alot of stuff during raids, so the timers are needed

Deleted
    I don't use DBM, im 6/7hc.
    Our raiders suddenly left as soon as we hit raggy hc (we've only had 1 hour testing on him for wha? several months?) So We've had no time to progress sadly.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 01:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zodkin View Post
    Well all the people that are not useing timers are probably pretty "casual" compared to the people like me who are pretty hardcore, as i personaly raid lead i NEED to have an addon i use many such as DBM, DXE and big wigs all at the same time for bosses that are new and buggy such as RAG HC the first few weeks timers were so off.

People that dont use timers are just lucky that their raid leader is calling everything out on vent cuz otherwise they would die on half of the encounters.

Oh yeah 7/7HC
    Encounters such as?

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    This just means you're relying on the rest of your raid members to verbally call out when important things are about to happen. So in other words, you're hindering your guild.

Try running your 6/7H with your entire raid not using any bossmods, and see how much of a "neccesity" it is then.
    I should have added that I am the raid leader and I am the person talking the most.

6/7 HC 25man on two chars, and i use bigwigs.

I just like the convience of DBM or BigWigs or whatever boss timer you choose to use. Yea, i get used to and react second nature to every thing a boss throws at me after a few attempts, but its like that extra layer of protection! btw, casual guild that also transferred recently and 7/7 5/7 pre-nerf

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 12:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vaztes View Post
    I don't use DBM, im 6/7hc.
    Our raiders suddenly left as soon as we hit raggy hc (we've only had 1 hour testing on him for wha? several months?) So We've had no time to progress sadly.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 01:09 PM ----------

Encounters such as?
    And also, calling out on vent? vent lags too much for say... a rag seed call or anything that needs to be responded to in a decent time frame!

I'm just a 1/7H scrub (HM Rhyo 6% last night ) but I love my DBM. I used to use BigWigs but I didn't like the fact it didn't have the as big "in your face" type warnings like the big "NASTY SPELL - INTERRUPT NOW" or the "Run away, little girl" thing, it just kind of flashes on your screen and makes a "ding" noise that made it hard to know what was coming (although probably designed that way to make you more aware to watch for it rather than wait for a warning). For example the last time I used BigWigs was early in Cata, like first month, when T11 was progression and on Ascendant Council it wouldn't really warn you to interrupt Feludius, it would just have a countdown (and it counts down a ton of things) and then pop/flash something like "Feludius - Ice Lance!" in not-that-big text that was difficult to see on the screen, leading to many missed interrupts. DBM, on the other hand, screams in big letters right in the middle of your screen with a loud noise "Ice Lance - Interrupt Now!" making it blatantly obvious when you should do it.

Just from noticing a few things most high-end guilds seem to use BigWigs over DBM but I'm not sure if this is because for a while BigWigs was supposed to be little bit more accurate, or if they prefer how it looks or don't like having an add-on tell them specifics. I've thought about going back to BigWigs, but I'll miss the better warnings.

It might not be a huge problem for a single person to omit from their UIs, but I don't think you'll see any group get to 6/7 heroic where no one in the group uses it or another timer mod.

It was said earlier but I'll say it again, raiding without DBM or some sort of timers is just making raiding unnecessarily harder on yourself.

The exception to this rule is if you use DBM as a crutch. I've seen some raiders who depend so heavily on DBM or their timer mod that they lose out on their DPS/healing/tanking effectiveness and if timers are off they can't react in time.

For me, DBM is an assist that I could do without, but I use it anyway because it helps, no second way around it.

Deleted
    7/7 heroic, Everything pre nerf, Using Bigwigs as my raid mod

Quote Originally Posted by immoralsoul View Post
    And also, calling out on vent? vent lags too much for say... a rag seed call or anything that needs to be responded to in a decent time frame!
    A good and experienced raid leader will know how much his voice-chat lags and take this into account.
    Mumble on the other hand, has almost no lag whatsoever, or so I've heard. Only ever used vent and TS myself (I don't consider skype to be voice chat, more like gurgling/swallowing sound chat).

Quote Originally Posted by Wezagred View Post
    I should have added that I am the raid leader and I am the person talking the most.
    There still must be someone calling things out for you. Either that, or you're SEVERELY gimping your raid for things such as Ryolith stomps, adrenaline stacks on Domo, enrage timers, engulfing flame / seed drops / phase change timing / meteor drops / hammer drops for rag (wont even touch how you're simply never going to kill H Rag without it).

As a raid leader, you should be ashamed that you're making 9 or 24 other people's lives more stressful by not taking 2 minutes to install an addon. Go ahead and tell them you don't use a bossmod and see how many of them are OK with it.

If you have this philosophy with addons:

How do you distribute loot? Keep it on a piece of paper and do DKP/EPGP/whatever by hand? Do you use loot council and not keep a history of it?

How do you check for raid buffs / food / flasks? Manually click each raid frame and waste 5 minutes of everyone's time before a pull?

How do you analyze wipes, dps, and overall performance? Just take everyone's word for it? Do you manually scroll through the combat log to see what happened?

I feel sorry for your raiders.
    Last edited by glo; 2011-10-30 at 12:52 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    1/7H and I use it but I never watch the bars. I mostly use the sound for important things.