Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Question ASRock 970 Extreme 3, Ram support

I'm building my first Computer and I'm buying the ASRock 970 Extreme 3, and I notice that on there website they have a
    Ram support list and i notice that Crucial Ballistix Sport 4gb is not listed as supported. Does that means I need to pick
    another brand? Or will they still work with the motherboard?

Thank you

If the timings and bandwidth are supported then it will almost certainly work... they probably just weren't tested and added to the list.
    Btw are you really building an am3+ computer?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I'm. It costs less than an intel build. I'm getting the Phenom II X4 955 BE, I mostly just play Rift and I might play STWOR!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    Yes, I'm. It costs less than an intel build. I'm getting the Phenom II X4 955 BE, I mostly just play Rift and I might play STWOR!
    Well then the i3 2100 will serve you better than that cpu.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    But isn't the i3 a dual core? and the Phenom is a Quadcore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter, the i3 2100 even with 2 cores and hyperthreading is still faster because each of those cores can do more than AMD's 4 combined.

Deleted
    It's hyperthreaded, which puts it in a quasi place. It can run four threads, but when it does it's not as effective as a true quad core.

But for gaming, and especially MMOs, it dominates alomst every single AMD CPU out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    It's hyperthreaded, which puts it in a quasi place. It can run four threads, but when it does it's not as effective as a true quad core.

But for gaming, and especially MMOs, it dominates alomst every single AMD CPU out right now.
    Plus since bulldozer was a major flop, going with a 1155 socket puts you on a much better upgrade path to ivy bridge in the future.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the input! I will reconsider going with intel then!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Plus since bulldozer was a major flop, going with a 1155 socket puts you on a much better upgrade path to ivy bridge in the future.
    I've got an i3 2100, gtx 560 ti system atm. I'll be looking at Ivy Bridge next year

Deleted
    Thanks for all the input! I will reconsider going with intel then!!!
    You will not regret it 1155 kicks ass.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    You will not regret it 1155 kicks ass.
    I will go with ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3! and i5 2500K!

I will go with ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3! and i5 2500K!
    Aha nice, way to shoot for the stars xD
    Should have you cruisin for several years.

Good choice on the 2500k, I have mine and got it to over clock to 4.5 with a simple $30 CPU cooler. Runs well and I shouldn't have to touch my system for quite some time. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.