Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    What you're saying is like saying: ''We only need 1 model of every kind of weapon so model and texture designers can spend their time working on other things.
    That's not what he's saying at all. The time spent to animate, design and skin mounts that look good on all races could be better spent designing new dungeons, races, professions, events, weapon skins, armor skins and zones.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    Let me say that there is a need for mounts if the game wants to be the best it can be, depth-wise.
    No, there is the desire for them. The original Guild Wars didn't have or need mounts. Dolyaks were used as pack animals. Games like Dragon Age didn't need or have mounts and were rather in depth (well, DA:O was). RuneScape doesn't have mounts and doesn't need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  2. #22
    For me, it would have been no major problem if they decide employ mounts into the game as long it is something new and unique but as people above me have already said so are there many reasons why they shouldn't be employ it, but who knows what Anet decide...

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    That's not what he's saying at all. The time spent to animate, design and skin mounts that look good on all races could be better spent designing new dungeons, races, professions, events, weapon skins, armor skins and zones.

    No, there is the desire for them. The original Guild Wars didn't have or need mounts. Dolyaks were used as pack animals. Games like Dragon Age didn't need or have mounts and were rather in depth (well, DA:O was). RuneScape doesn't have mounts and doesn't need them.
    This is the 2nd time you've replied to something I said and all I can think of asking you is: are you completely incapable of rational thought? I said mounts were needed if the game wants to be the best it can be.

    And as for your first comment, it's clear your opposed to the idea of mounts but who gets to decide whether resources should be spent on designing dungeons/races/profs like you say or mounts? I'm sure it's not your call.

  4. #24
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    I said mounts were needed if the game wants to be the best it can be.
    They don't need mounts to be the best they can be.

    Oh and, thanks for that rational thought jab.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    And as for your first comment, it's clear your opposed to the idea of mounts but who gets to decide whether resources should be spent on designing dungeons/races/profs like you say or mounts? I'm sure it's not your call.
    The playerbase actually plays a huge part in what the devs spend time developing. If the majority rule is that mounts aren't necessary or wanted, then they'll focus on other aspects of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    They don't need mounts to be the best they can be.

    Oh and, thanks for that rational thought jab.

    The playerbase actually plays a huge part in what the devs spend time developing. If the majority rule is that mounts aren't necessary or wanted, then they'll focus on other aspects of the game.
    Actually any mmo with mounts that move at say normal speed +1% is better than any mmo without mounts, so yes it does need mounts if it wants to be the best it can be. You sir are not the playerbase, you're a single player, get that straight in your head. I don't believe there is any poll where the majority voted against mounts. So keep the discussion based on facts, don't add your imagination to the mix.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    the only horses we've seen in the Guild Wars universe have been undead (Necrid Horsemen).
    Well the horse body had to come from somewhere to become undead so they must exist or did at one time at least. At mimimum they would have needed the form to copy even if they make the undead mounts out of something else. That said I'm with the devs on this subject. not at launch, afterwards well see if they would add to the game or be a detriment. I'm not particularly opposed to mounts as a cosmetic or RP prop but I dont want them as a speed boost. IF they are cosmetic you can persue them or not as you desire but if they give an advantage they become a requirement.

    Who is John Galt?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    I said mounts were needed if the game wants to be the best it can be.
    Let's check you on "rational though" with a simple question: Why? Why are mounts absolutely necessary for the game to live up to its full potential? What logical, rational reason can there be behind that though when the first game, a huge success in its own right, still does not have mounts?
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!

    The Light and How to Swing It

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    Let's check you on "rational though" with a simple question: Why? Why are mounts absolutely necessary for the game to live up to its full potential? What logical, rational reason can there be behind that though when the first game, a huge success in its own right, still does not have mounts?
    The first game is, even if it may have been a huge succes, not the best mmo out there to date (based on playerbase). Saying a game without object A, is better than the exact same game with object A does not make any sense. It will add depth for people who like to ride around in stuff as it gives a greater feeling of travel, depth for people who like to collect things etc. If only you too kept the discussion based on facts instead of jumping on the oppurtunity to turn it into a pissing contest.

    Edit; keep in mind that we are not talking pokemon pet battles like in wow here, we're just talking mounts, means of transport, not something rediculous like dance studio.
    Last edited by InciteTheHorde; 2011-10-30 at 07:33 PM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    I said mounts were needed if the game wants to be the best it can be.
    In your opinion, which doesn't necessarily match reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    but who gets to decide whether resources should be spent on designing dungeons/races/profs like you say or mounts? I'm sure it's not your call.
    He's not but you are?

    For those of you either not familiar with GW lore or choose to ignore it, I'll reemphasize here: Dolyak's are the only beasts which could be classified as a mount (though siege devourers and wurms are vehicles as well, they're not exactly general-purpose mounts), and are usually used as beasts of burden though are used as mounts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  10. #30
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    Actually any mmo with mounts that move at say normal speed +1% is better than any mmo without mounts, so yes it does need mounts if it wants to be the best it can be.
    "Better" is subjective. Adding mounts may appeal to the players that want them, however it may turn away players that don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    You sir are not the playerbase, you're a single player, get that straight in your head. I don't believe there is any poll where the majority voted against mounts. So keep the discussion based on facts, don't add your imagination to the mix.
    >Implying that I feel my opinion represents the playerbase as a whole
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  11. #31
    I love people who complain that others opinion's are wrong, but insist that their opinions are right

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  12. #32
    I'm hoping that they don't add mounts. They're really not needed, when we already have the waypoint travelling system.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    For those of you either not familiar with GW lore or choose to ignore it, I'll reemphasize here: Dolyak's are the only beasts which could be classified as a mount (though siege devourers and wurms are vehicles as well, they're not exactly general-purpose mounts), and are usually used as beasts of burden though are used as mounts.
    I did not specify the game needed magic flying carpets, Dolyak's will do just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    "Better" is subjective. Adding mounts may appeal to the players that want them, however it may turn away players that don't.
    What others have said to those complaining about fast travel: simply don't use them? When players can chose to not use mounts, but they are there for those that want to use them it makes a game better by definition of more people playing the game. Some people may be put off by there not being mounts, when those that don't like mounts can simply not use them. I wouldn't say it's subjective to say that more people playing a certain game testifies to the quality of that game.
    Last edited by InciteTheHorde; 2011-10-30 at 07:42 PM.

  14. #34
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    The first game is, even if it may have been a huge succes, not the best mmo out there to date (based on playerbase). Saying a game without object A, is better than the exact same game with object A does not make any sense. It will add depth for people who like to ride around in stuff as it gives a greater feeling of travel, depth for people who like to collect things etc. If only you too kept the discussion based on facts instead of jumping on the oppurtunity to turn it into a pissing contest.

    Edit; keep in mind that we are not talking pokemon pet battles like in wow here, we're just talking mounts, means of transport, not something rediculous like dance studio.
    >Implying WoW is a bigger success because they allowed mounts.
    >Implying WoW, AC, AoC, Rift, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, (and so on) are exactly the same as Guild Wars 1
    >Implying a MMO is better purely for the fact that it includes mounts. (Again, subjective).

    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Well the horse body had to come from somewhere to become undead so they must exist or did at one time at least. At mimimum they would have needed the form to copy even if they make the undead mounts out of something else. That said I'm with the devs on this subject. not at launch, afterwards well see if they would add to the game or be a detriment. I'm not particularly opposed to mounts as a cosmetic or RP prop but I dont want them as a speed boost. IF they are cosmetic you can persue them or not as you desire but if they give an advantage they become a requirement.
    For all we know, those undead horses could be franken-horses and that there never were live horses to begin with. They also could have been unique to Orr, which kinda got nuked...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    I did not specify the game needed magic flying carpets, Dolyak's will do just fine.
    Then you really don't grasp the ridiculousness of that idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    What others have said to those complaining about fast travel: simply don't use them?
    And if I don't even want to see people on mounts?
    Last edited by Blznsmri; 2011-10-30 at 07:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    >Implying WoW is a bigger success because they allowed mounts.
    >Implying WoW, AC, AoC, Rift, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, (and so on) are exactly the same as Guild Wars 1
    >Implying a MMO is better purely for the fact that it includes mounts. (Again, subjective).



    For all we know, those undead horses could be franken-horses and that there never were live horses to begin with. They also could have been unique to Orr, which kinda got nuked...



    Then you really don't grasp the ridiculousness of that idea...



    And if I don't even want to see people on mounts?
    Let's stick to what I'm actually saying and not to what you think I am implying.

    If you dont want to see people on mounts, go play a different game or deal with it? It's the same thing I'm asking you on having mounts in a game. We're talking facts here, give me one fact why mounts would make the game worse?

  16. #36
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    Let's stick to what I'm actually saying and not to what you think I am implying.
    What you're actually saying implies those things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    We're talking facts here, give me one fact why mounts would make the game worse?
    Burden of proof is on you, give us facts on why mounts would make the game better.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    Let's stick to what I'm actually saying and not to what you think I am implying.

    If you dont want to see people on mounts, go play a different game or deal with it? It's the same thing I'm asking you on having mounts in a game. We're talking facts here, give me one fact why mounts would make the game worse?
    Give one fact why mounts make the game better for starters?
    With regards to Dolyaks, (in lore) only dwarves use them as mounts, particularly the Stone Summit dwarves, elsewhere they're used as beasts of burden or farm animals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    What you're actually saying implies those things.



    Burden of proof is on you, give us facts on why mounts would make the game better.
    Because it's adding something that doesn't harm or alter the gameplay of the game? (mounts @ normal speeds so you don't feel forced to using them) Therefore more functionality in the game, more depth, more things for people to like, thus more players? Or does this all not make any sense to you?

    It would seem that you think there is no room for mounts in the lore, the lore is constantly being expanded, so I'm sure they can introduce a peacefull small nomad community that brings them mounts in return for other goods.

  19. #39
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    With regards to Dolyaks, (in lore) only dwarves use them as mounts, particularly the Stone Summit dwarves, elsewhere they're used as beasts of burden or farm animals.
    Only a select few dwarves rode them as well. (Monks and Mesmers)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Give one fact why mounts make the game better for starters?
    With regards to Dolyaks, (in lore) only dwarves use them as mounts, particularly the Stone Summit dwarves, elsewhere they're used as beasts of burden or farm animals.
    Better for starters: with mounts there is more to look forward to (for those that want to use them).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •