Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What do you think, will there be mounts eventually?

I was asked how I can be interested in this game since I'm known to be quite the Mount lover in WoW and other games where they are available. I simply stated that GW2 promises to be so good that mounts won't be needed as a source of joy/activity, whilst in WoW I often just login to farm a mount or look at those I have already since I ain't doing anything else.

However, this raised a question...do you believe there will one day be mounts in GW2? Not flying of course (I honestly hope they'll never add flying at least) but just some ordinary racial mounts, or profession mounts? Considering how amazing the game looks, I believe they could create some wicked mounts for those enjoying that aspect to have. I would rather ride a mount between points, than fast travel.

I'd just want to add that I would NOT want to see:

Rare mounts
    Achievement mounts

Just some fitting racial mounts and one Profession mount to work towards if you'd like.

Rare mounts and achievement mounts only cause e-peening and frustration since YOU might want to work for an achi mount, but nobody else does/can.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2011-10-30 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never say never, but it's not planned at the moment.

There was a quote I remember reading that they were thinking about whether to put them in after release or not. I honestly don't think mounts will be needed with the numerous waypoints that are going to be available.

I'd have to play the game and explore the world before I could form an opinion on this, but I do like that they don't have them right now.

Don't they have it set up so you run faster when you sheath your weapons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mounts would be interesting to see, especially since they will have more realistic animations compared to WoW, but as Mif said, they dont have any intention of implementing them yet. Pretty sure GW1 didnt have any either, so its anyone's guess.

Personally though, Mounts (especially flying ones) detract from the exploration aspect of an MMO, they just make the world smaller because you can traverse distances that much faster.

Plus, they are trying to reward players for exploration. And giving them mounts to go twice their normal speed would kinda make that a bit less of a challenge than I assume they want it to be.

Will sure be cool as hell to travel the world not even looking for anything in particular. Then to come back and say "I saw it all"
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd hope so, and I can't see why they wouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'd have to play the game and explore the world before I could form an opinion on this, but I do like that they don't have them right now.

Don't they have it set up so you run faster when you sheath your weapons?
    Slightly faster.
    It's not running wild or plainsrunning, more a boot speed enchant in wow terms.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I love my mounts in WoW, I kind of hope there aren't any in GW2, what with the waypoint system for long-distance travel and all.

But it would make sense to have simple ground mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    /mount collector in WoW

I don't want mounts. They don't fit in Guild Wars 2, there aren't enough domestic animals and the only horses we've seen in the Guild Wars universe have been undead (Necrid Horsemen). That leaves all the races of Guild Wars 2 with Dolyaks. It would be stupid. Plus, if you want to get somewhere faster, use a waypoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Plagous View Post
    There was a quote I remember reading that they were thinking about whether to put them in after release or not. I honestly don't think mounts will be needed with the numerous waypoints that are going to be available.
    '

Needed? No. Wanted? Yes >-<. If I have the choice between fast travel with waypoint, or ride a nice mount where I want to go, I pick the second option..for example in Red Dead Redemption where there's only horses, but they're incredibly realistic and nice, I never use waypoint travels.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in feeling that at least SOME mounts give flavour and fun to the game on another level. They could do really cool things with this if they jumped it I believed.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    /mount collector in WoW

I don't want mounts. They don't fit in Guild Wars 2, there aren't enough domestic animals and the only horses we've seen in the Guild Wars universe have been undead (Necrid Horsemen). That leaves all the races of Guild Wars 2 with Dolyaks. It would be stupid. Plus, if you want to get somewhere faster, use a waypoint.
    Hmm, it's not about traveling fast, it's about fun for those that enjoy that sort of thing.

And GW2 is said to be very different from GW1, they've added a practically new race, changed professions etc etc..so I don't see why it would be unbelievable that during the years that have passed, they also started domesticating animals.

Mounts without a speed bonus would be nice. Would kind of fit with the "cosmetic rewards" system they seem to be aiming for.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Hmm, it's not about traveling fast, it's about fun for those that enjoy that sort of thing.

And GW2 is said to be very different from GW1, they've added a practically new race, changed professions etc etc..so I don't see why it would be unbelievable that during the years that have passed, they also started domesticating animals.
    Note the first part of my post (the /mount collector part)

I'm not saying that they can't domesticate animals, I'm saying there aren't any animals (aside from Dolyaks) to domesticate that can be used as mounts.

Deleted
    Silly people saying ''they're not needed'' and ''they ruin exploring etc''. It's not about the speed you travel at. I'd be happy if the added mounts that travel at +5% of normal, just because it adds some depth to the game if you can collect mounts and ride around on ''an animal''. To me it seems weird crossing this HUGE field on foot. People pretty much never did so, unless you go back to caveman times, but anything past that it's horses, cows, mules etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    People pretty much never did so, unless you go back to caveman times, but anything past that it's horses, cows, mules etc.
    Unless they, you know, didn't have horses/ elephants to ride. That can't be a reason why they'd do that at all.

I just remembered though, Cantha did have Kirin, which were horse-like, but most of them were sacred animals/ corrupted and would be too taboo to try and domesticate into a mount.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Unless they, you know, didn't have horses/ elephants to ride. That can't be a reason why they'd do that at all.

I just remembered though, Cantha did have Kirin, which were horse-like, but most of them were sacred animals/ corrupted and would be too taboo to try and domesticate into a mount.
    The point I was really trying to make is that in a world where intelligence is high enough to have guns/bows/magic etc. It would seem off if people were stupified when thinking of ways to travel faster. Now I'm sure there's plenty of animals in gw2 that ''could'' be ridden.

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt it, going on the fact that the game has a waypoint travel system... Mounts don't really fit in well with Guild Wars, there's not really a need for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    Now I'm sure there's plenty of animals in gw2 that ''could'' be ridden.
    Really, there aren't. The only domesticated animals in the entire Guild Wars universe that can be used as a mount are Dolyaks.

The Wurms in Nightfall don't count because of movement restrictions and the fact they were vehicles, not just something you hopped on.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't think there is a need for mounts since there are already way-points. Explore the area on foot, then you'll be able to port there. There wasn't a need for mounts in GW1, so there shouldn't be a need for them in GW2. Additionally, since all zones are instanced, having a mount would be quite useless. It's an unneeded cosmetic addition to GW2 that will only waste Model Designers and Texture Developers time when they could be working on other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Additionally, since all zones are instanced, having a mount would be quite useless.
    Instancing implies that the zone only has you, the player, and your group in it at one time. Guild Wars 2 is open world with loading screens between zones, similar to how Eastern Plaguelands is separate from Ghostlands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    No, I don't think there is a need for mounts since there are already way-points. Explore the area on foot, then you'll be able to port there. There wasn't a need for mounts in GW1, so there shouldn't be a need for them in GW2. Additionally, since all zones are instanced, having a mount would be quite useless. It's an unneeded cosmetic addition to GW2 that will only waste Model Designers and Texture Developers time when they could be working on other things.
    What you're saying is like saying: ''We only need 1 model of every kind of weapon so model and texture designers can spend their time working on other things.
    Let me say that there is a need for mounts if the game wants to be the best it can be, depth-wise.