View Poll Results: Friend Right Or Wrong?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right

    111 63.79%
  • Wrong

    63 36.21%
Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Friend says healing meter doesnt matter for disc priest

    Friend says healing meter doesn't matter for disc priest.

    I dont know whether its him being arrogant or if this is true.

    Long story short. Im in all 353/359 gear in firelands. Was on a boss fight. Only did 6.1% overhealing yet #1 in healing.

    I was mainly healing both tanks and myself if I took damage.

    But besides that, he said in general that disc healing doesnt matter on the meters. Yet I disagree see as how im generally a tank healer and dont heal the raid unless i have the mana to spare or time. Yet, the other classes are on raid heals and random heals on the tanks.

    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Mechagnome Silenteyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    531
    Healing meters mean nothing, All healers have different roles and will out-put different amount of healing, I mean just because a raid healer is top on healing done does not make him/her any better at healing than the guy who's job is to keep the MT up.

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Katt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Planet 9
    Posts
    683
    Wow . LMAO meters... If you live and don't die , the damn heal did their job..fk meters. So the answer would be NO meters doesn't matter on heals at all.

  4. #4
    Wouldnt healing meters be a nice way to train yourself on how to use mana efficiently and healing efficiently over time?

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 10:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    Wow . LMAO meters... If you live and don't die , the damn heal did their job..fk meters. So the answer would be NO meters doesn't matter on heals at all.
    Then thats like saying dps meters dont matter. If the boss dies, the dps did their job... even if its slow dps?

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral Shadoweye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In the box behind you
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Wouldnt healing meters be a nice way to train yourself on how to use mana efficiently and healing efficiently over time?

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 10:52 PM ----------



    Then thats like saying dps meters dont matter. If the boss dies, the dps did their job... even if its slow dps?
    No... because you dont need a meter to tell you that.... you learn that from experience.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

  6. #6
    I think the point you're friend is trying to make, is that disc "heals" with shields which doesn't show up on meters. If I may: Main Tank is at 100k health and takes a 20k damage hit. You then heal him for 20k and that shows up on the meters. As your friend plays, he put's a 20k damage shield on the tank, the tank get's hit and is reduced to 100k health with no more shield. Effectively, you both "healed" him the same amount, but the meters will say your friend was quite far behind on heals. Just game mechanics.

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Silenteyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    531
    Dps meters don't matter much either but they let you know who's slacking and who's carrying their weight. majority of dps have the same job on a boss, kill it. Healers don't have the same job

  8. #8
    Healers have different roles depending on the raid comp and if they're healing the raid or the MT, etc. Situations change, and just as DPS changes from fight to fight, so do healing meters. It can be fantastic one fight and no so good another. Never mind the fact that disc is more about mitigating damage with their abilities. Meters are not everything in this game.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I think the point you're friend is trying to make, is that disc "heals" with shields which doesn't show up on meters. If I may: Main Tank is at 100k health and takes a 20k damage hit. You then heal him for 20k and that shows up on the meters. As your friend plays, he put's a 20k damage shield on the tank, the tank get's hit and is reduced to 100k health with no more shield. Effectively, you both "healed" him the same amount, but the meters will say your friend was quite far behind on heals. Just game mechanics.
    Absorbs from disc do show up in recount, included in healing now.
    Meters are still a useful tool for looking at healing, but as long as there is not some great disparity between healers (ie: someone doing 20k, someone else doing 9k) it doesn't matter that much.

  10. #10
    Healing meters mean nothing, All healers have different roles and will out-put different amount of healing, I mean just because a raid healer is top on healing done does not make him/her any better at healing than the guy who's job is to keep the MT up.
    I'm a holy paladin and even on fights where there's a lot of raid healing I'm generally #1 or 2 even if my job is to heal the tanks. This is above traditional raid healers such as druid and holy priest as well.

  11. #11
    You cannot accurately measure healing like you can for DPS, because there is only so much healing to do, and it's random at that. Plus there's different roles, like Silenteyes said. A healer healing the top web on Beth will get more healing than someone who's healing raid on the bottom. etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

  12. #12
    High Overlord Infernae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgetown, Ontario
    Posts
    141
    I understand the point that most previous posts are making, that healing meters don't matter, and I agree wholeheartedly. Although, I think this is based on a Disc's absorbs. I'm not sure if you're the disc, and your friend thinks your healing is irrelevant on the meters for whatever reason, or if he's a disc, and thinks that sub par performance, according to meters, isn't actually the case. If this is what it is, it entirely depends on what addon you're using to track healing. The newest version of Recount does include all of a disc Priest's absorbs in the "Healing Done" meter, but I'm not sure if, for example, Skada does.

  13. #13
    Meters are a poor measure of performance due to lack of context, and in varying class/spec mechanics.
    Tank vs Raid healing, aoe healing mechanics and their reliance on proximity or not of other members.
    Too many factors make simple comparisons between different classes and even different specs (holy vs discipline) impossible to do on something as simple as throughput numbers.

    Some meters will offer a degree of analysis, such as the proportion of the throughput from various abilities which can be a useful tool when used correctly.
    Unfortunatly too many will focus solely on the numbers and take them as being meaningful when they are not.

    If you need to ask if you need a meter, then you do not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    You cannot accurately measure healing like you can for DPS, because there is only so much healing to do, and it's random at that. Plus there's different roles, like Silenteyes said. A healer healing the top web on Beth will get more healing than someone who's healing raid on the bottom. etc. etc.
    DPS meters are just as useless based on numbers alone.
    Again context in role, ranged/vs melee and caster vs physical damage when taking into account class mechanics which may interrrupt one but not the other.
    Buffs which benefit some members but not others.

    DPS meters should be a personal tool to show the effect of changes, primarly changes to rotation / talents / glyphs etc when on a dummy, but not as a measure of performance.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2011-10-31 at 03:03 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Wouldnt healing meters be a nice way to train yourself on how to use mana efficiently and healing efficiently over time?

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 10:52 PM ----------



    Then thats like saying dps meters dont matter. If the boss dies, the dps did their job... even if its slow dps?
    no it doesnt, dps have one job, dps their asses off healer's heal according to the damage beeing taken, and if healers have roles then they are healing diffrent situation thus numbers reflect that.

  15. #15
    Healing meters are very situational.

    Take heroic rhyolith for example.

    Some weeks our healers pull 6-9k hps on the fight and heal it easily. Other weeks they're 15k+ and dps are falling over from standing in crap.

    Odds are, if healers are healing higher than average, than the raid is likely taking higher than average damage. It's all relative.

  16. #16
    Absorb shields do show up on the meters.

    and yes, meters matter...though you have to know how to read them. A glance at who's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in HPS & overhealing doesn't mean much without healing assignment context and class design.

    That said, if one player is constantly under performing, the meters will show that. I find I wipe more with a 2nd healer that is incapable of pushing more then 9k HPS. I find I wipe less when all healers are capable of pushing 13k+

    edit* There are some fights where the meters are tailor made for disc priests since their absorb shields can never overheal and will always snipe the first damage. If you are using recount, check to see that you have the option checked to add absorbs to the heals done.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2011-10-31 at 03:07 AM.

  17. #17
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,726
    Meters are pretty meaningless, logs on the otherhand...

    If you go into logs and see that the tank went 5 seconds without a single heal but the main healer is top, there is a problem.

    If you go into logs and see that a healer is pumping out the absolute maximum hps possible(guardian spirit/greater heal spamming/renew up/etc) but the tank still died, but your resto druid still beat him because of aoe healing then its not his fault.

    Or if you see that a healer is has 40% over healing and is not a resto druid, that is a problem.

    Again this all varies from boss to boss, a healer might just be low on healing because there is nothing to heal(alysrazor if your raid is smart)

  18. #18
    healing meters don't mean a thing. as long as you do your job and keep everyone alive. it's not a dps race. if you're popping heals you have no buisness to and wasting your mana...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I think the point you're friend is trying to make, is that disc "heals" with shields which doesn't show up on meters. If I may: Main Tank is at 100k health and takes a 20k damage hit. You then heal him for 20k and that shows up on the meters. As your friend plays, he put's a 20k damage shield on the tank, the tank get's hit and is reduced to 100k health with no more shield. Effectively, you both "healed" him the same amount, but the meters will say your friend was quite far behind on heals. Just game mechanics.
    That is the old behavior, I know that both Recount and Skada now can show if you want, absorbed damage as heals.

  20. #20
    recording healing done is not a competition to see who can ninja the most heals or to compare tank healing to raid healing or class to class. It does give a buzz to be #1... but if a healer doesnt do his other jobs because it makes for smaller numbers then he is useless to the raid. Things like world of logs are great for looking at your team's spell choices and learning the patterns of damage, maybe your team mates are letting you down but recount wont tell you that(exception of death log), and if you dont wipe i dont see the problem.

    There is only soo much healing to be done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •