Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    If you had them build it to get a 2 year warranty, it's really silly to avoid using it when you're having computer problems. Just sayin'
    Yeah. I know . It's just a big hassle for me to not have a computer for even a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Riyuke View Post
    Your RAM is not in the QVL of your mobo, and not entirely compatible ram can give all sorts of crazy stuff.
    Get compatible ram, give that a try =3
    Oh. Hmm. I never looked at that myself. That could be the problem there. I'll probably order some new memory when I get paid next week if that's the case.

my advice is check your ram and try to change it, i've had some issues with ram in the past involving game and OS freezes, changed the ram most of the times and problem solved, hope this helps. cheers

So I'm actually looking at ordering some new memory today, but there's some things I want to make sure before I do.

I ran Memtest86+ last night again, still no errors over 6-7 hours of testing, is it possible for memory to cause random freezes while playing games (Presumably under high load) even when coming up clean on Memtest?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarClubs View Post
    So I'm actually looking at ordering some new memory today, but there's some things I want to make sure before I do.

I ran Memtest86+ last night again, still no errors over 6-7 hours of testing, is it possible for memory to cause random freezes while playing games (Presumably under high load) even when coming up clean on Memtest?
    Purchasing new memory when you don't know for sure that's the problem while you have a two year warranty that will fix the problem is borderline retarded.

Get over the loss of the computer for x days and get a working computer. Your wallet will thank you
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Mobo: Asus M5A88-M EVO
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition
    every time i have seen this issue it has been Mobo: Asus/asrock and CPU: AMD i have the same issue i will try to change the mobo to a gigabyte in the next 2-3 days and
    post if its a fix

Quote Originally Posted by notaspy View Post
    Mobo: Asus M5A88-M EVO
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition
    every time i have seen this issue it has been Mobo: Asus/asrock and CPU: AMD i have the same issue i will try to change the mobo to a gigabyte in the next 2-3 days and
    post if its a fix
    no sorry after changing every component of my pc and using clean install still no fix

Hey, to the OP if you're still around, did you ever fix this problem? I have the same problem, random freezing in games, and I have the same CPU, mother board, and video card.

I've done a lot of similar troubleshooting: lowered memory speed (so CPU memory controller wouldn't be overclocked) setting specific memory timings by hand, updated bios, various stress tests (furmark, prime 95, intel burn test, memtest).

Even had it built the same way, by selecting a bunch of parts and had the store put it together. I've already taken it back once, they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Whatever the faulty component was for you, it's probably the same on mine.
    Last edited by Mat3; 2012-03-26 at 08:00 PM.

I've had similar problems on other pc's. One of the first things I do is unplug any unnecessary pci cards and check to see if that could be the cause. Once the wireless card was the problem, and purchasing a different brand fixed the issue. Also check to be sure your computer is running your memory at the proper voltage. After upgrading my brothers computer from 4 to 8 GB his computer was under volting his memory by .75 volts (Thats huge). Upping the voltage to the suggested 1.65 volts fixed the issue. He was experiencing random crashing and BSODS while under load too.

In my experience these kinds of issues are commonly memory related, and often because the motherboard didn't properly setup the memory to its respective timings/voltage. XMP is supposed to fix this issue, but I haven't had good luck with XMP settings.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2012-03-26 at 08:46 PM.

My system is pretty much bare bones. Just the video card, hard drive, and disc drive.

I've never had a BSOD. In my case, while playing games it will randomly lock up hard or sometimes shut down as if the plug had been yanked. Just like the OP, some games trigger it more than others. For example, through 44 hours of Deus Ex, I had one just lockup. But other games like Skryim, Witcher 2, SWTOR, froze or shut down far more frequently.

My RAM is Ripjaws 2 X 4GB, defaults are 1600Mhz, timings 9-9-9-24, 1.5V.

I've tried running them at 1333 (what the CPU officially supports) with default timings, 1333 with 8-8-8-24 timings (suggested on Ripjaws support forums), and also with a slight voltage bump (someone on another forum suggested 1.6v).. I tried 1.55v with the reduced speed. I still ran into problems.

I think it is probably the mobo, CPU or the PSU, as when I underclock the CPU (from 3.4 to 2.7 using the AMD Vision Control Center) the system seems stable.
    Last edited by Mat3; 2012-03-26 at 10:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Locking as a necro. If you have a problem, post a thread of your own. It's easier to troubleshoot if everyone has their own thread and it avoids 3 month necros.