Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Dragon soul: Your protective services is no longer needed.

Every guild currently have at least 2 main spec tanks because that have been the model thus far during this and previous expansion.
    The new tier, even though it's still on the PTR, provide us with a majority of solo-tank encounters, which means guilds with two tanks will basically drop from 100% attendance to 50% bench status.
    It frightens me that it'll result in me burning out on the bench and loose dedication since I would have a hard time keeping up with our DPS, not because of skill - but because of a gear gap created by I obviously having to pass on every upgrade and thus will not be brought instead of a full time main-spec DPS.
    It's gonna be a race against time for our guild to reach hardmodes where i once again will not just be dead weight.

How are you fellow tank; handling this issue, and is it really an issue?

I'm worried as well, I really just wanna know exactly how many single tank encounters there are? I'm currently not on PTR, and I've tried to watch a lot of PTR videos, but I cant tell.

I'm currently an officer, so I'm not worried about being "benched", I'm just worried for my off-tank, I know he's just like me in the sense that tanking is in his heart!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a dk,... so im gearing my dps
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Madness is supposedly 2 tank recommended, but good looks mione.

How do you handle Majordomo, Ryolith, Magmaw, or Atramedes? The answer will be the same for one tank fights in Dragon Soul. It really isn't a DS problem, it's a Cataclysm problem. Hell, even Baleroc is one-tankable.

That said, it IS a problem. Normal modes definately should not require ever-changing raid compositions just because they couldn't figure out something for a second tank to do.

Deleted
    We clearly have one core-tank (paladin) and one tank, who gear up into dps gear (druid, because the most of his kitty dps gear is dropping only for him)

why don't they just allways make all the fights based around 2 tanks?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of one tank encounters already in Cata.. when that happens i go Dps. since the other tanks in our raid group don't have a viable off spec.
    Though i have to say that many one tank encounters means that unless the dps have something interesting to do.. i'm gonna be bored. really don't like dpsing.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is kinda scary for me too. I am one of only two main-spec tanks in our 25 man raid team. The rest of our "tanks" only tank on trash or the rare times one of us is not available, and don't get to roll on tank loot except as offspec.

I don't like the idea of being DPS through most of the fights. That's not what I enjoy (in fact, I despise being DPS so much that I have never leveled a single pure dps class to end-game). I really hope that Blizzard adds some kind of mechanic for a second tank through these encounters.

That said, it IS a problem. Normal modes definately should not require ever-changing raid compositions just because they couldn't figure out something for a second tank to do.
    same thing goes for healers in firelands, 3 healers for ragna and 4 for major : d

Any tank that hasn't collected *any* dps gear by this point in the tier cycle really doesn't have a right to whine about being benched at some point on single tank fights. normal modes are tuned to be a joke as-is, so if your guild actually likes you as a player and isn't full of incompetent people, you'll likely be able to slide on in as your terrible ret/fury/whatever spec and fill up your loot bucket.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

one of the reasons i quit tanking after 5+ years was because blizzards design for every fight for tanks was either

A: MAKE IT A 1 TANK FIGHT SO ITS REALLY FUN FOR THE OFF TANK LOL

B: MAKE A STACKING DEBUFF THAT TANKS HAVE TO REMEMBER TO COUNT TO 5 TO TAUNT, WOW SO ENGAGING AND FUN LOL

C: MAKE ONE TANK TAUNT TO TAKE THE HATEFUL STRIKE EVERY 3 MINUTES LOL SO FUN

D: BOSS IS TANKED BY 1 TANK, OTHER TANK JUST JERKS OFF TILL THAT ONE ADD COMES OUT LOL SO FUN

feels like blizzard really doesnt know how to make fun fights for tanks anymore, thats why im playing my lock in raids now until they figure out how to make something fun for a tank again.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    The problem is solved if you can gear up your tank spec and a dps/healer spec, therefore you will not need to be benched, provided you can do good dps and have the gear with it.

This is why I always get annoyed at tanks or healers that have a healer/tank offspec. Having a DPS offspec is a hundred million times more useful and viable, swapping around extra heals or tanks is a massive pain.

That said: 10man encounters should only ever require 1 tank, with a rare 2 tank exception. It's 2 Tanks for 10 players for 10man and 2-3 tanks per 25 players for 25man. That's silly.

Most guilds i know personally that are capable of pushing into hardmodes run multiple raids. No problem to gear up your second tank if you do this. Problem is the feeling of being in the B-Team though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    Morchok is a 2-tank fight in both Normal and Heroic, but it can be 1-tanked on Normal if you outgear it enough. no real point in doing that other than stress your healers and force cooldowns though..
    Yor'sahj is a 1-tank fight in both Normal and Heroic.
    Zon'ozz is a 1-tank fight in Normal, idk about Heroic.
    Hagara is a 1-tank fight in both Normal and Heroic.
    Ultraxion is a 2-tank fight in both Normal and Heroic.
    Gunship 2.0 is a 2-tank fight in both Normal and Heroic.
    Spine of Deathwing can be a 1 or 2-tank fight depending on your strategy.

Idk about madness of deathwing, never had the opportunity to test it. All of that is on 10-man. I personally think it's cool because I'm quite bored of every single boss having a stacking random debuff they put on the tank, it's kinda boring after a while.
    This pretty much. Although Blizzard have been saying that they want to make atleast the Heroic encounters 2 tank fights.

Like they could make Hagara a 2 tank fight easily; where Focused Assault stuns the current target so he'll get wtfowned unless a taunt switch happens in a different direction. But they would have to increase her enrage timer, because currently it is quite tight on heroic.

Standard strat for Heroic Spine will most likely derive to 2 tanks.

Zon'ozz I believe is a 2 tank fight on Heroic.

Yor'sahj can be a 2 tank fight on Heroic depending on the strategy.

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    one of the reasons i quit tanking after 5+ years was because blizzards design for every fight for tanks was either

A: MAKE IT A 1 TANK FIGHT SO ITS REALLY FUN FOR THE OFF TANK LOL

B: MAKE A STACKING DEBUFF THAT TANKS HAVE TO REMEMBER TO COUNT TO 5 TO TAUNT, WOW SO ENGAGING AND FUN LOL

C: MAKE ONE TANK TAUNT TO TAKE THE HATEFUL STRIKE EVERY 3 MINUTES LOL SO FUN

D: BOSS IS TANKED BY 1 TANK, OTHER TANK JUST JERKS OFF TILL THAT ONE ADD COMES OUT LOL SO FUN

feels like blizzard really doesnt know how to make fun fights for tanks anymore, thats why im playing my lock in raids now until they figure out how to make something fun for a tank again.
    Outside of the caps, I agree with this point. Tanking really isn't all that fun anymore. On fights that it is fun/challenge it is usually only a challenge for 1 tank. What this does mean is you can carry a shitty tank through content thought, or make a good dps your offtank on encounters.

IMO the FL encounters by design are pretty terrible in the tank department, outside of Aly there isn't another fight where there is any challenge as a tank, and even on that fight it is minimal and 3/7 fights can be solo tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post

BOSS IS TANKED BY 1 TANK, OTHER TANK JUST JERKS OFF TILL THAT ONE ADD COMES OUT LOL SO FUN
    New signature right there.

No issues or concerns as I have collected a very viable OS (DPS) set, and so has the other Tank ... all in all bring on more 1 Tank fights as I prefer to Tank more than DPS and vice a verca for the other MT in our guild

TBH, as mentioned above, its silly easy to gear up an OS these days that there is no reason why you shouldnt have gear for it ...

Deleted
    this is for 10 or 25? i thought only 10 man testing had been finished so far so is it possibly to assume those 1 tank fights will be 2 tank in 25?