Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Shae View Post
    because it's not a real MMO with persistent world. All the game is istanced. I am not trolling I am waiting for GW2 too.
    Which is true for Guild Wars 1. GW2 however, has a full persistent world, it is an MMO.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Shae View Post
    because it's not a real MMO with persistent world. All the game is istanced. I am not trolling I am waiting for GW2 too.
    hahaha, thanks for that man. i really needed the laugh. just so you know saying you are waiting to play GW2 yet say things that are completely false about it's structure makes you seem like you are indeed trolling. whatever the case i enjoyed the laugh.
    Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!!!

    Guild Wars 2: Odeezee (Necromancer) || TERA: Odeezee (Archer-Ret) || SWTOR: Odeezee (Sith Inquisitor-Ret/Jedi Sage-Ret) || GW: Odeezee Fosho (Elementalist-Ret)
    Aion: Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret), ODZ (Spirit Master-Ret) || War
    : Odeezee (Sorcerer-Ret) || AoC: Odeezee (Demonologist-Ret) || WoW: Odeezee (Druid-Ret), Thaone (Mage-Ret)

  3. #23
    Herald of the Titans Pancaspe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    Does it count the millions who will quit wow for gw2?(relax, I'm trolling)
    No, only real numbers are counted.

  4. #24
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by creepygnome View Post
    ...But I bet Blizz isn't completely worried about them either. Most people will probably get GW2, play it, but still keep their WoW sub... SWTOR is the main MMO that's looking to actually steal WoW subs, because most people aren't willing to pay for 2 subs at the same time.
    I'm going to agree with you on this one a bit, but I remember quote, "GW2 can live with WoW, because ANet isn't trying to be competitive. However, can WoW live with GW2? That's the major question. We'll just have to wait and see." I can see that quote being the same for TOR. Can WoW live with both of these great MMOs being released? We'll just have to see. It all depends on how well they sell, and how motivated the dev teams are after release.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shae View Post
    because it's not a real MMO with persistent world. All the game is istanced. I am not trolling I am waiting for GW2 too.
    Persistant World: Confirmed by ANet
    Instanced: No, instancing is in the case that only you and your party are in the zone. Loading screens will have to be dealt with when going zone to zone, but you WILL see other players in the zone. This is in place because DEs would be lagged out if the zones were all connected.
    Not Trolling: "I don't mean to offend you, but you're ugly" <---similar to what you're saying.

    Do your research before posting, or at least ask questions rather than making ridiculous statements.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2011-10-31 at 06:49 PM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    Exactly. If WoW didn't have subscriptions from the start, it wouldn't even last a couple of years. Some people need to think first before going on and saying Blizzard is greedy for subscription fees. I can guarantee that the next Blizzard MMO coming out in a few years will not have a subscription fee, for the exact same reason Guild wars 2 doesn't, because server cost aren't so much as they used to be, so therefor there would be no need for a subscription fee unless it's 100% for new content every month or so.
    You realize GW1 came out if I recall correctly before WoW? Meaning your argument is invalid. You're saying Blizzard's next MMO will not have a sub fee same as GW2 but GW1 which is compared to WoW does not have a sub fee and still did just fine and even came out before WoW. I don't understand your argument.

  6. #26
    Mechagnome vilhelm1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Shae View Post
    because it's not a real MMO with persistent world. All the game is istanced. I am not trolling I am waiting for GW2 too.
    10/10 for trolling
    In that argument.. all of wow is instanced.. its instanced between eastern kingdoms and kaliamdor and northrend and outland so WoW isnt a real MMO? No MMO is a real MMO
    Its not instanced off they are different zones that you travel between, you travel along with other random people who are also in this persistent world if it was instanced you'd only see the people in your group

    EDIT: On topic i kind of agree with OP, Anet probably do make more then enough but for some reason i want them to have my money because of how good GW2 looks to me, i bought GW1 trilogy (separately because i had factions when it first came out nightfall a little later ect)
    Last edited by vilhelm1992; 2011-10-31 at 07:01 PM.

  7. #27
    Bloodsail Admiral Ishu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    You realize GW1 came out if I recall correctly before WoW? Meaning your argument is invalid. You're saying Blizzard's next MMO will not have a sub fee same as GW2 but GW1 which is compared to WoW does not have a sub fee and still did just fine and even came out before WoW. I don't understand your argument.
    No, GW1 came out about half a year after WoW I think. I was definitely playing WoW when GW1 came out, which is the main reason I didn't stick with GW1.

  8. #28
    Ugh, of course will GW2 be fine. How much do you think a game costs/designers earn? 100-200 million is more than enough money to start with. I think they even produced GW2 largely on money received from GW1 anyway. And with the expansions and microtransactions coming every now, the cost of salary/maintance etc will easily be covered (see video above), plus profits.

    Not all games have/need a subscription fee you know.

  9. #29
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277
    People doubting about subs and comparing this game to other MMO's making me sigh. Guild Wars 1 is running for 6 years now with a bare of 3 million players. GW2 will get 3 million players within a year in my optic (I could ofc. be wrong here). GW2 will provide expansion packs and a mini-transaction store. Everything will run smoothly =)

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  10. #30
    Something that people really must understand - servers that existed when WoW (and guild wars a bit later) launched are hopelessly outdated in terms of both performance and bandwidth available. At the same time, the NEEDS of these servers in terms of performance and bandwidth don't change in a meaningful way (and often go down as algorithms get better at load balancing).

    As a result, bandwidth and server maintenance costs are going DOWN all of the time. Perhaps WoW did indeed NEED monthly payments to stay above water. It most certainly would not need it now, and there are activision-blizzard earnings reports to back this up. Server costs there are not even accurately defined into categories like website, wow servers, etc. Instead it's just a small footnote that puts all of those into one lump sum - which is extremely small in comparison to, for example, development costs for new content.

    As a result, it is arguable that paying per content rather then per month would incentivize companies to produce both better service and better content more strongly then monthly payments, while remaining financially viable.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    -
    Page 1, post #7

  12. #32
    If Guild Wars 2 ends up being a mixture of the same gameplay elements of the original, plus the persistent, immersive, wide-open world we've come to know through WoW...

    Well, I think calling it a "success" will be a severe understatement. :P

  13. #33
    Herald of the Titans Eorayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,963
    Guild Wars II will have a persistent world. World of Warcraft has a persistent world. RIFT has a persistent world.

    Just because there are loading screens in between zones doesn't mean they're instanced. An instanced zone is where only you and your party are. In the persistent zones, not only you and your party are there. And World of Warcraft has invisible loading screens. The tiny lag spikes you get when you enter a new zone. Guild Wars II does this to reduce lag. Which we are all thankful for.

  14. #34
    Stood in the Fire Fernling306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    487
    I can't believe people still think GW2 will be fully instanced. It will have a bit more instancing than usual AAA mmos I have played when leveling up to 80 because your personal story is instanced, but besides that only dungeons will be instanced. I do expect to see a ton of sharding in the first few months after launch because of the player cap of 10 on regular DEs and 100 on the epic DE events.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shae View Post
    because it's not a real MMO with persistent world. All the game is istanced. I am not trolling I am waiting for GW2 too.
    looks like some people need to check the definition of MMO(RPG).
    oh and even if wow has a persistant outside world, it hardly ever feels "massively multiplayer" given how wow engine sucks so hard it's hardly playable at all once you reach a few hundreds players (or even before that?) in the same area.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Posted many many times before, but worth watching:

    It all comes down to greed, like he said it boils down to the players (us) still willing to pay the monthly fee, it's not NEEDED. I mean Blizzard is a business, if they can make extra money, why the hell not? Why not continue to charge a monthly fee? Greedy? Yes. Wrong? Not so much. What I love about ANet is they understand it's about the players not the money since they are players as well, they just "get it".

    I played GW1 for the longest time before WoW and I only lost interest after I did everything there is to do in the game which isn't too unlikely after 4 years of playing. ANet didn't have as big of a team because they started out with very very few people working in small offices/homes/apartments it's amazing what they managed to achieve with so little to begin with.

    It's unfortunate but they couldn't keep adding campaigns with the development of GW2. Still, GW1 proves the free to play can work. And with a bigger team, more revenue, better engine I can't wait to play the new guild wars it's going to be amazing

    Also.. jumping and freeroam ftw. GW has the greatest art team in the gaming industry imo and I've dreamt of exploring the beautiful scenery in GW1 and now in the upcoming prodigy we CAN! /fanboism

  17. #37
    The model already worked for GW 1. They just push out xpacs faster than most games, like DLC for alot of current console games. It covers the cost and nets a decent profit, while allowing them to push foward with the next xpac. Just look at how many the original GW has.

    Also, Micro transactions for costume gear. Saw it somewhere, not sure where.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    This is kind of off topic, but I wonder how Anet is actually doing with their sales on Guild wars 2. Hopefully they get a lot of money in return because this game looks very entertaining and polished compared, in my opinion, to all the other MMO's I've seen. Yes, including Star Wars.
    This is the problem i have with most people on these forums.
    People see things and judge too quickly without actually playing, or cant judge for themselves but would rather listen to critics...that are not always right..remember most critics speak about the game to there tastes even if they deny/try not too.

    Ive played it...its good but then again demos at conventions always are...as for the actual released game?? its in the same boat as all the others YES including star wars!

    Who knows what end game they have for this with no sub fees coming in, thats the big question....will it last?
    I am a bit dissapointed though that the main selling point for this game and many many many people on these forums have said it many times is the no sub fee's. Thats great but wouldnt you rather have some other major selling point than 'Im not playing shit swtor but ill play gw2 because its free to play' how many times have you seen or said that on these forums aye?
    Open world quests or whatever its called? sure its sounds and looks great but i did that in warhammer so its not really new is it.
    To the devs ,,, Give me more to go on so i can look forward to more than what i just mentioned above.
    Last edited by BatteredSausage; 2011-11-03 at 03:28 PM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Is that really enough to pay for the years they've spent on the game, as well as pay a large staff the big bucks? I kind of worry about it. Honestly, I would really have to commemorate the ANet team for being so laid back. Taking a pay cut for making a AAA grade MMO in comparison to a company like SoE or Blizzard Entertainment; who pay their employees HUGE bucks because of subscription based MMOs is amazing. The amount of dedication and passion for making video games really shows with these guys.
    Do keep in mind the total running costs of WoW can be covered with expansion sales alone. Do not think a subscription is needed to run WoW the way it is run today while paying huge bucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    However, then I got to thinking, "well, these guys don't work 12 hours a day, 8 days a week like other game company employees do. At most they work 10 hours and have weekends off." So does this make it possible that perhaps ANet employees care more about freedom to sit an relax every so often, rather than slave away like a raving Chris Metzen? I know if I had to work VERY LONG hours, then I would be demanding a large pay.
    It is completely the opposite. The ArenaNet guys have to keep working hard on content so that people would buy it. If WoW had no subscription, would people really have paid $45 for 2 recycled heroics ($45 is 3 months of subscription for the time 4.1 lasted)? I really doubt it. Would people have paid $180 for Icecrown Citadel?
    Last edited by Fraza; 2011-11-03 at 03:31 PM.

  20. #40
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by I was drunk last night View Post
    It all comes down to greed, like he said it boils down to the players (us) still willing to pay the monthly fee, it's not NEEDED. I mean Blizzard is a business, if they can make extra money, why the hell not? Why not continue to charge a monthly fee? Greedy? Yes. Wrong? Not so much. What I love about ANet is they understand it's about the players not the money since they are players as well, they just "get it".

    I played GW1 for the longest time before WoW and I only lost interest after I did everything there is to do in the game which isn't too unlikely after 4 years of playing. ANet didn't have as big of a team because they started out with very very few people working in small offices/homes/apartments it's amazing what they managed to achieve with so little to begin with.

    It's unfortunate but they couldn't keep adding campaigns with the development of GW2. Still, GW1 proves the free to play can work. And with a bigger team, more revenue, better engine I can't wait to play the new guild wars it's going to be amazing

    Also.. jumping and freeroam ftw. GW has the greatest art team in the gaming industry imo and I've dreamt of exploring the beautiful scenery in GW1 and now in the upcoming prodigy we CAN! /fanboism
    I'd like to point out on the bored part after 4 years. I agree, really I do. I got bored after 4 years as well, the basic things has been done and at this point, you could do the Zaishen quests etc. but you'll get bored real easy.

    Soo.. does this say something about no monthly fee? about ArenaNet? I'm quite sure it isn't. The reason why the development of GW1 went into hiatus is because of Guild Wars 1; Utopia. With the development with this game, they'd notice GW1 couldn't do what they want it to do.

    This way Utopia got cancelled and they made EotN. The story towards the new game. After 5 years the game is now becoming reality. It's more open, more flexible and way more dynamic than they thought when they started to build te game. I think we can enjoy this game for a LONG time.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •