Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you define a Disc. Priest? (lore speculation)

What do you think differentiates a discipline priest from a holy priest in wow? I feel it should be more than just one uses bubbles or not. My theory on what a Disc. priest should be is almost like a balance druid. To have the discipline to use both the light and the shadow without favoring either. Being able to dps or heal and be a bridge between holy and shadow. I feel as now they turned it into bubbles-r-us in game at the moment. But thats just how i feel, i wanna here your voices!

Discipline started out in concept as a Monk class, alpha vanilla, and while that never actually came to fruition in cloth, a lot of the core concepts still hold true.

One has to reach out to the Light, growing stronger through their connection to those around them. Discipline is about self-improvement: Mental Acuity, sheer will power. You focus your mind to the point you don't use the Light, but your own soul (or your target's) to keep them fighting. The Light, and the Forgotten Shadow? These are afterthoughts that help you do what you must. But the first step always comes from you.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    They are Mental.

I always figured that holypriests were the "european monk" style of healer, while the discipline priest was the "buddhist monk" style of healer.
    Then holypriests got chakra and monk became a real class. I must admit I am slightly confused now.

But regardless, priests are mentalists. Think Granny Weatherwax of discworld. Priest magic involves suggestions, convincing and converting. I'm not even sure it's real magic - it's all headology. And that makes it the strongest magic in the world. Anyone with access to a little bit of sulphur and charcoal can make a fireball. But to convince the enemy at the gate to work for you, that takes a miracle. Or a priest.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Deleted
    European Monks really didnt do anything special other than meditate and pray and live in solidatiry and brew beer.
    Im not religious so i could talk crap ofc, but thats what i thought they do

Holy priests are more Priests than monks imo, priests declare the holy words to the people monks just lives in solidarity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say that discipline priests are trained for combat, where holy priests are trained to heal.

Melee priest!!!

j/k

But the first priest i ever met in game was in a scholo run WAY back in the dark ages of wow... and he was spec'd disc, and I'll never forget the first thing he said to me was "I am a melee priest"

I died to fire meleeing Illidan to level my mace skill. I don't think prople were very happy with me at that point

The disc priest is the one acting on morals while the holy priest is acting on compassion. (Which is not to say disc priests have no compassion and holy priests no morals ^^)

Deleted
    Disc priest always felt more like a monk type to me. A mystic defending his allies and defeating his foes with sheer willpower and focus.

Speaking in purely lore terms:

The Holy Priest is one that is attuned to the Holy Light, and draws strength from it. They use faith in the Light in order to fuel their spells. For example, the Holy Priest's talents are named things like "Divine Fury", "Desperate Prayer", "Divine Touch", "Holy Concentration". They all refer to the presence of an outside higher power that the Holy Priest is invoking in order to heal the wounded.

The Discipline Priest, on the other hand, is someone who is strong internally through rigid, you guessed it, discipline. They use their own power as fuel instead of faith in the Light, gaining great mental fortitude. Discipline priests get talents/skills such as "Mental Agility", "Strength of Soul", and "Penance", all part of a penitent, disciplined lifestyle. The reason that Discipline tends to favor the use of shields is because it is the closest "physical" demonstration of their mental prowess (i.e. they can't be dominated because their focus and willpower is too strong).

Discipline doesn't walk a fine line between the Holy Light and the Shadow (as much as you might want to believe) because to the Discipline Priest, there is already little to no use of the Holy Light. They simply manifest their will power and go from there.

----

These are the current incarnations of the talent trees, at least. As someone else stated, Discipline itself began as a "melee" priest tree, often taken for pvp because it had a lot of survivability talents. It wasn't much of a healing tree by any stretch of the imagination, nor did it have much in the way enhancements to your damage (although it did have enhancements to Smite's damage). It was just kind of there, with a bunch of filler talents that couldn't really exist in other trees and Divine Spirit to be taken so that Priests had to use 300 candles a night to buff their raid. =)

Dasuria.
    Interesting, what would you think of a Disc Draenei priest then? :P

Lorewise a disc priest is a priest confused about how much spirit he needs and what to stack: if haste mastery, haste crit or mastery crit!

Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I died to fire meleeing Illidan to level my mace skill. I don't think prople were very happy with me at that point
    Haha excellent!...but why? x)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasuria View Post
    Speaking in purely lore terms:

The Holy Priest is one that is attuned to the Holy Light, and draws strength from it. They use faith in the Light in order to fuel their spells. For example, the Holy Priest's talents are named things like "Divine Fury", "Desperate Prayer", "Divine Touch", "Holy Concentration". They all refer to the presence of an outside higher power that the Holy Priest is invoking in order to heal the wounded.

The Discipline Priest, on the other hand, is someone who is strong internally through rigid, you guessed it, discipline. They use their own power as fuel instead of faith in the Light, gaining great mental fortitude. Discipline priests get talents/skills such as "Mental Agility", "Strength of Soul", and "Penance", all part of a penitent, disciplined lifestyle. The reason that Discipline tends to favor the use of shields is because it is the closest "physical" demonstration of their mental prowess (i.e. they can't be dominated because their focus and willpower is too strong).

Discipline doesn't walk a fine line between the Holy Light and the Shadow (as much as you might want to believe) because to the Discipline Priest, there is already little to no use of the Holy Light. They simply manifest their will power and go from there.

----

These are the current incarnations of the talent trees, at least. As someone else stated, Discipline itself began as a "melee" priest tree, often taken for pvp because it had a lot of survivability talents. It wasn't much of a healing tree by any stretch of the imagination, nor did it have much in the way enhancements to your damage (although it did have enhancements to Smite's damage). It was just kind of there, with a bunch of filler talents that couldn't really exist in other trees and Divine Spirit to be taken so that Priests had to use 300 candles a night to buff their raid. =)
    One has to reach out to the Light, growing stronger through their connection to those around them. Discipline is about self-improvement: Mental Acuity, sheer will power. You focus your mind to the point you don't use the Light, but your own soul (or your target's) to keep them fighting. The Light, and the Forgotten Shadow? These are afterthoughts that help you do what you must. But the first step always comes from you.
    *Insert sparkly gasp drooling picture here*
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Executz View Post
    Haha excellent!...but why? x)
    My melee skill wasn't maxed, despite almost a solid two years of using Light's Justice as my healing weapon. (Badge mace in 2.4 was my Spellsurge weapon, and the staff from Kara had +Spirit for clearcasting procs + Earring).

I felt why the heck not? I mean, it's not like things can get parry hasted from the back (though I did melee Archimonde while standing on our bear tank )

Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    My melee skill wasn't maxed, despite almost a solid two years of using Light's Justice as my healing weapon. (Badge mace in 2.4 was my Spellsurge weapon, and the staff from Kara had +Spirit for clearcasting procs + Earring).

I felt why the heck not? I mean, it's not like things can get parry hasted from the back (though I did melee Archimonde while standing on our bear tank )
    Man that brings back memories I remember our healers squabbling over Light's Justice...I had not found healing yet at the time and was still on my original toon which was an Ud mage. I also remember one of our priests at the time getting the achievement "who ordered a knuckle sammich" mid raid which raised a few eyebrows..:-)

I used to get annoyed with our now Gm holy pala who used to always like pulling and meleeing mobs and I always thought it was for show until I started playing one myself and understood that that was how part of his regen worked....
    Last edited by PromiscuousPenguin; 2011-11-10 at 03:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Achievements didn't exist until 2.4, slack!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Achievements didn't exist until 2.4, slack!
    The 3.0 pre Wrath patch, actually. Didn't stop me from having maxed wand (Judgement of Wisdom returns) or staff (bored on trash, "oh gods guys, my staff just crit for 700!" over vent was always good for a chuckle).

Unarmed took boxing duels with Gamon, after Mind Control kiting him to Tanaris, and tossing a Renew on him whenever your fist hits of 5 damage got him low on health.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-11-11 at 12:35 AM.

Disc priests are battle clerics. Whereas holy priests are spiritual leaders and medics.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.