Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by biggischkris View Post
    wow i think you just made the world facepalm at ya
    I facepalmed so hard I have a splitting headache now - warlocks who complain about demonic portal are infuriating.

As for hunters I would like to change my answer to make further concessions then (based on watching top end hunter videos) - yes hunters take skill and yes there is a gradient of hunter skill. I have concluded that I have never encountered a skilled hunter in arenas (or rbgs) during this expansion however - which was tricking me into thinking that all hunters are bad - it's not true - it's just that all hunters I have encountered in a relevant time frame are bad.

Clearly there are very skilled hunters, but I stick to the following points as well - that the absence of truly high rated hunters in North America and the prevalence of feral cleaves (which I persist lack skill compared to just about any other comp at the same MMR) does indicate that the hunters who do reach even 2400-2600 ratings are doing so more by their being carried by ferals this season than by their skill being 80% of the skill of a top end hunter (if they were 80% of the rating for example). So perhaps it would make more sense to phrase my 'no difference between 1300-3k' comment like this - I see no significant difference in play between the hunters I face - between a hunter on a 1300 MMR team, and a hunter on a 2200+ MMR feral/hunter/x - they blow all their cooldowns and then if they haven't won they die, they don't kite my psychic screams like they should, they don't stutterstep when I am setting them up, they let me death out of scatter/traps when they shouldn't, and when my dk tries to kill them most of them use 50-75% of the tools at their disposal to keep me off them - when they should be using 90-100% of the tools available. The most significant differences I see between a 1300 MMR hunter and a 2200+ MMR hunter is gear and team composition: but not how they play their class (and for most of them they look Nothing like how top end hunter videos play the same class).

Edit: So maybe the best way to phrase this is, there is a Massive skill cap for Hunters - wherein 99% are playing Huntards (a distinct and separate class) and the top one percentile are playing Hunters (distinct from Huntards).

Edit 2: But in saying that, I'm not saying the skill cap for hunters is highest, but that the discrepancy in their gradient is perhaps widest - I'd still say while top end hunters take an impressive amount of skill, not More than a number of other classes and specs (rogues, priests, warlocks, resto shamans, etc).
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2011-11-04 at 09:36 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the biggest thing is that there isn't really much FORCING players to play better for 99% of the game. Some probably consider this okay, I find it slightly annoying. For virtually all of the game, Hunters can get away with backstepping and keyboard turning, so why should they learn better? It'll prevent them from reaching high ratings, but even if they really care about those, they could just play whichever class(es) happen to be overpowered that patch/season and faceroll to those ratings.

This applies to virtually every class, too. I really think the game could use some tutorial-like quests to teach players the basics of their class and then also perhaps teach them the beginnings of more advanced concepts.

The skill cap of a Hunter, while being pretty high, is limited at a certain point due to their abilities (which create said cap) being easily countered by skilled players. In other words, Hunters have a high skill cap only when playing against less experienced players and when facing experienced ones - their skill cap isn't very high. For example you scatter shot someone (preparing to land a freezing trap) and his partner instantly takes the trap on himself.

There can bee many similar situations and in order to be effective, they rely on being babysitted and on tons of setting up by their partners. It's the main reason we don't see a lot of hunters in the top. In order
    Last edited by Dewinter; 2011-11-04 at 11:21 AM.