Question eSports - Where does one begin?

Hello there! I have a couple questions in regards to eSports that I'm having trouble finding answers for. I have always loved watching WoW arena tournament streams when MLG used to have it and have recently become interested in Starcraft II ever since Blizzcon this year.

If one was looking to get into competitive gaming, where do you start? I've seen MLGs website and there Game Battles but there's only 1 tournament right now out of all of their games. Also, are there any popular eSport websites with news and info on upcoming tournaments and stuff? I would really like to become part of the community and support esports by going to events and whatnot but for me, it seems information is so fragmented that it's hard to follow anything.

I guess to help with the question about where can I start playing competitively, I only really play LoL and WoW and have begun learning Starcraft II. I'm pretty terrible at black ops and fps in general but I haven't played enough to get used to it.

Any help would be appreciated! =D

15+ Year Old Account
    You need to be picked up by a team. Which generally means you need to be good, and join in a lot of tournaments(Winning helps) to get your name out there(Speaking of SC2).

Quote Originally Posted by Offme View Post
    Hello there! I have a couple questions in regards to eSports that I'm having trouble finding answers for. I have always loved watching WoW arena tournament streams when MLG used to have it and have recently become interested in Starcraft II ever since Blizzcon this year.

If one was looking to get into competitive gaming, where do you start? I've seen MLGs website and there Game Battles but there's only 1 tournament right now out of all of their games. Also, are there any popular eSport websites with news and info on upcoming tournaments and stuff? I would really like to become part of the community and support esports by going to events and whatnot but for me, it seems information is so fragmented that it's hard to follow anything.

I guess to help with the question about where can I start playing competitively, I only really play LoL and WoW and have begun learning Starcraft II. I'm pretty terrible at black ops and fps in general but I haven't played enough to get used to it.

Any help would be appreciated! =D
    www.teamliquid.net for all your SC2 needs.
    www.gosugamers.net for other needs (not sure what's there as I never use it but pretty sure they cover more games than just starcraft).

Starcraft is a pretty nice esport to follow, entertaining tournaments, a much better community than CoD/dota/LoL etc.
    (Not saying there's no retards, there always are, especially if you ladder in lower leagues but it's on a smaller scale than other games.)

You might also find Live on Three interesting, over at www.onemoregame.tv , it's a show about esports in general and the hosts are some of the most knowledgeable people in esports.
    Last edited by Ighox; 2011-11-01 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    www.teamliquid.net for all your SC2 needs.
    www.gosugamers.net for other needs (not sure what's there as I never use it but pretty sure they cover more games than just starcraft).

Starcraft is a pretty nice esport to follow, entertaining tournaments, a much better community than CoD/dota/LoL etc.
    (Not saying there's no retards, there always are, especially if you ladder in lower leagues but it's on a smaller scale than other games.)

You might also find Live on Three interesting, over at www.onemoregame.tv , it's a show about esports in general and the hosts are some of the most knowledgeable people in esports.
    Awesome! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it =D