Thread: Dead Space

Dead Space

I just noticed the Dead Space pack on steam for $13.59 and was curious how great of a game it is. Anyone have any reasons why or why not to pick up this game.

Great game. Doesn't take too long to beat but it's really fun and exciting especially if you are one that gets scared when things pop out of nowhere and scream etc. I would definitely recommend this game.

I played the game briefly at a friend's house. I can say the first 15 minutes of it was very exciting and scary. I didn't see it past that point, I had to go home early but it looked like quite a thriller.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are definitely must-buys. I really enjoyed playing through them both (although I didn't beat Dead Space 2 because I'm easily scared by things and I ended up fearquitting at one point). Being scared was part of the fun for me, and it'll definitely get you going if you're into those kinds of games. I'd recommend as well!

It is not exactly thrilling, because it usually uses cheap scares. Some damn good ones though. It is by definition, a survival horror game, and if you play Dead Space 2 in max difficulty, the spare ammo you can find off enemies and lying around is so low that you kinda feel you are screwed with firing each shot. It really pushes you to aim better.

And the aiming system is phenomenal. You can't spray and pray and watch monsters fall. You have to be more precise, and disect the limbs for quick kills. A monster with his head off still has 4 limbs he can use to chase and maim you down. There are some simple puzzles here and there, and the story is awesome.

For 13 bucks, you can really get more than your moneys worth. Second game is better in my opinion, as they manage to portray a more neurotic and on the edge protagonist. Exploration is rewarded with spare ammo and upgrade parts, so you kinda want to go everywhere. However, you will be ambushed more often than not, so exploration feels risky at the same time.

Voice acting, graphics are all off the charts, and no HUD system is very well integrated into the game. (Your armor shows you what you need to know, on more convenient locations compared to a regular HUD)

Buy it. You won't regret it. If anything, it is a supreme action game with great shooting mechanics. Though do not expect Amnesia type thrills. (If you have played that) Only downside I can say is that.

---------- Post added 2011-11-01 at 04:55 AM ----------

Adding to that, if you finish the games, do look for the animes and other media they put out for dead space. It really builds up on the lore, and the anime at least was good enough to not bore me. (I usually dislike animes. Heh, who am I kidding, I hate them with passion.)

The "Ring Around the Rosie" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" rhymes performed in trailers and the anime are more creepy than they should be allowed to. They are children's rhymes for fuck sake, and yet I can't stop listening to Dead Space versions of them.
    Last edited by Scorage; 2011-11-01 at 04:56 AM.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

Sweet thanks for all the quick responses, I have been looking for a good game that will give me some of those oh shit moments when thing pop out of no where. It will bring me back to when I first played Resident Evil 1 & 2 when I was a kid.

Oh and one more thing, my friend bought both games a few months ago. He was all excited and pumped up for them, and he even hooked his 42 inch TV so he can get the most out of it.

However, while "things popping out" is not much of a valid scare for some...

He was scared shitless. Guess it was just his cup of tea. He couldn't play more than a few hours, he still regrets not being able to play while he is still unable to muster the courage to play it.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

First was a fun game, but I had three big problems with it.

1. Loose controls. I don't know if this was intended or not. If it was intended to improve the "horror" aspect by conveying your character being inexperienced in combat, than it kinda works, but in all honesty it just feels like loose controls due to it being a console port.

2. What horror? Really, there wasn't really anything in that game that I found even remotely frightening. The opening scene where you run away from the necromorph, unarmed, is probably the only time my blood really got pumping. Other than that, I felt that the "scares" were WAY too predictable ("Is there a vent? Yes? Cool, something is probably going to jump out." and tons of audio cues).

3. The last boss...this is just an issue I have with bosses in games in general. I HATE it when bosses have giant, "SHOOT ME HERE" lights. I miss the days of trial and error, you shoot until you see blood (or some reasonable facsimile) or you notice some visual cue that the boss is being hurt. Now we get bosses with giant glowing bits that are BEGGING to be shot. It just feels really anticlimactic.

As a third person shooter, it's good. I love and applaud the method of killing enemies by dismembering them rather than just shooting them in the head, it made gameplay more interesting. But as a horror game, meh : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are fantastic games, and are the only games with which I can claim to have completed all the XboX acheivements for. That said, the final bosses on both games are pretty fucking poor, thats honestly the biggest take away from the game for me. That aside, its a must get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Dead Space is an unbelievable game. Dead Space 2 is even better on Hardcore mode. Very challenging and it forces you to really pay attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always hated Dead Space series, judging by the gameplay videos I watched. But I bought the Dead Space pack this weekend ($16 dolars for Dead Space + Dead Space 2), and it is worth it! The game is very cool, good scares, good action, good customization system. I really liked it, and as some people said, it is a must have.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its an ok game, not that scary just small startles.