Thread: High temp 2600k

10+ Year Old Account

High temp 2600k

I just bought a new system but I've got a problem with the cpu. I overclocked to 4ghz with the stock heat sink and 4 fans on the case, but during BF3 temps are going all the way to 90 and hovering around 75. Is the stock heatsink just that shitty or are these temps indicators of something being wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in no way experienced, but the stock heatsink is shit. Why would you even overclock with it?

Sure a small overclock is fine, but I'm not so sure 4Ghz is small for a stock heatsink.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Phase 1: Buy CPU (bare if you can)
    Phase 2: Open CPU box and throw away stock heatsink (errr recycle...)
    Phase 3: Purchase and install inexpensive overclock rated heatsink ($30+ model is sufficient) = www.newegg.com
    Phase 4: Overclock and profit

Yeah the stock cooler is usually that bad!
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Did you turn up the voltage at all to hit that 4GHz? or did you just bump up the multiplier? What temperatures do you get while running at stock clock speeds?

The stock heatsink isn't anything spectacular, but 4Ghz is a minor overclock (assuming you didn't crank up the voltages) and if you're hitting temperatures that high you're probably running pretty hot at stock speeds anyways, in which case most likely you'll need to replace the thermal compound and re-seat the heatsink (or get an aftermarket one)

10+ Year Old Account
    I just bumped the multiplier because it was a lock clock so the stock voltage handles it fine. I just reset it all and am running on the power-saving mode of the asus ez mode OC uefi. The stock settings are running around 60 and maxing at 70.

i use a special thermo-electric heatsink, and can fully safely keep my cpu at 5.8ghz while keeping it under 40 degrees.

with absolute stock cooling you should be able to take it to 4.5ghz and never run into an issue. i believe the cpu starts getting overheated at 70-80c and criticals at 90c

I'd go with the option "I left my voltage on Auto". Your mobo might be raising it too high under load, thus generating extra heat.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^5.8GHz? Yeah, right, prove it.

OP: Get yourself a Corsair A70 heatsink (note: Not H70, the air one) and save yourself more headaches. It comes with 2 fans and is a good heatsink, especially for the sales that sites like newegg have had for it lately. $30 is killer.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    ^5.8GHz? Yeah, right, prove it.
    google thermo-electric plating. need to get custom made cooling blocks that keep components at sub zero temps. gotta be real careful with it though because if you dont insulate it properly it will build up a really thick layer of frost in a matter of minutes.

edit:
    did some googleing myself and it seems theres a company that started mass producing this system
    http://www.digitalstormonline.com/cryo-tec.asp

cheers

Deleted
    feel free to post a CPU-Z of ur 5,8 GHz just to prove it, but that cooling seems pretty amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put a hyper 520 on it and now it barely breaks 40 during BF3. Shitty stock intel coolers ftl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drtrann View Post
    google thermo-electric plating. need to get custom made cooling blocks that keep components at sub zero temps. gotta be real careful with it though because if you dont insulate it properly it will build up a really thick layer of frost in a matter of minutes.

edit:
    did some googleing myself and it seems theres a company that started mass producing this system
    http://www.digitalstormonline.com/cryo-tec.asp

cheers
    I said prove it, as in, CPU-Z link. Get on that!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention SB has a Cold bug :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be honest, drtrann never said if he has specifically a SB CPU or not. ;P

I'd more likely believe he OC'd a 990x to 5.8GHz, anyways.
    "A flower.