Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot - After the CTC cap (way after)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eaghead/simple

This is me I am way above the CTC cap, I have been eyeing up a couple of heroic DPS pieces thats are going for OS (mainly the chest with Mastery/Haste).

Using the dps chest rather than my tanking one, will give me the extra ilvl worth or stam/str + the extra haste, but still keep me CTC capped cause the pure mastery makes up for the lost stats.

Is it worth using dps peices for the pure mastery do you reckon?

Losing the 4-set for that is not advisable.

I am probably missing something, but 12% extra parry on random attack is pretty useless if ur CTC capped no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomhvk View Post
    I am probably missing something, but 12% extra parry on random attack is pretty useless if ur CTC capped no?
    The 4p bonus don't give you 12% parry on random attack, it gives you 12% parry after your DP expires. Parry/dodge is always better than mastery after you hit CTC cap because you dodge or parry whole attack instead blocking 30%-51% of it.

After you get your CTC cap you can either go:
    a) stam
    b) hit
    c) reforge or gem for more parry/dodge (still keeping CTC cap)

Deleted
    The 4 set is definatly worth it on certain fights like belaroc, and yes the parry pushes the block off the CTC table so overall you would take less damage but personally i don't like the 4 set that much apart from on heroic belaroc, other fights i'd find myself using DP as a short CD for small damage intake and usually the +parry made little damage becuase i used it for the small damage increase or ive glyphed it and the parry makes no difference due to magic damage etc.

I wouldnt advise going to the hit or expertise cap because lets face it we don't need more aggro and you can easily meet the dps check for tanking in heroic aly without it.

My advise would be this from my own way of gearing, reforge your mastery into dodge/parry but once you start getting to the 17-18% margins (i find i usually have higher parry) then i'd go into stamina due to the DR on dodge and parry start to get very quite high and i don't feel its worth it

avoidance, stam or threat what ever you want to choose. don't drop 4pc

Stamina is THE way to go imho.
    The extra parry and or dodge you will get from this TIER is NOT significant enough to be worth it over the huge amounts of extra health you can get now.

Start gemming pure stamina stones. You should be able to get 200k unbuffed in full HC gear. Which means you'll have about 30-40k MORE then a CTC capped person in 378 gear would be. I.E. My warrior is @ 98 unbuffed and buffed obv CTC capped. That's only because i'm gemming avoidance and the likes. I'm at 160k unbuffed HP now.
    Meaning any and all gear upgrades will focus on getting me more stamina (switching out gems such as on your shield, for full stamina. Replacing trinkets by stamina trinkets).

TL;DR:

Gem stamina, being able to take MORE damage while taking less = profit
    Going for Parry/Dodge will only get you what.. maybe an extra % on each. Not worth losing the stamina that allows you to take that extra 40k hit.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    14.75 Parry
    14.57 Dodge
    66.46 Block
    5%

= 100.78
    +
    2% roughly from raid buffs.

= 102.78 your not "way after it" your barely over it, and for some reason if you don't the Agi / Str buff you won't reach ctc cap unless you use a mastery elixir.

and 4pc is crap, 10% parry after DP goes off once your ctc cap is really useless, i'd rather get better pieces where i can get more mastery and ctc cap faster, and then start gemming stamina, there's no point going threat because 500% multiplier is /faceroll.

Stamina is the way to go while you try to get more dodge / parry, but keep the CTC cap ofc.

Deleted
    definately more on the parry/dodge side of things instead of geting more mastery jsut for more stamina, that will make you more spoungelike instead of take less damg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    definately more on the parry/dodge side of things instead of geting more mastery jsut for more stamina, that will make you more spoungelike instead of take less damg.
    The difference is kind of minimal, and whilst you might take a little more damage, healers are likely to not panic as much. You have to sacrafice a lot to push dodge/parry values up whilst keeping CTC cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden272 View Post
    = 102.78 your not "way after it" your barely over it, and for some reason if you don't the Agi / Str buff you won't reach ctc cap unless you use a mastery elixir.
    He's already using a stam trinket though, if he would go full mastery he'd be way over the cap.

After I reach the cap (1-2% shy) I'll go full stamina since I think this is the most useful.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    13.5% dodge/parry if i remember right or around there, once you pass this point both DR pretty effing hard... so as much as you wanna go yeah 18-20% dodge/parry or some crap 1 its really not possible and 2 your better off with more stamina, im sitting full 391's only need my cape from Ryo, Firestone on Trash neck and Rag shoulders and im done with gear i sit around 65 block 16 dodge / parry and like 190 ub

Deleted
    here's me and i get the cap (with elixirs) while having over 16% dodge and 16% parry (it's 250 rating for 1% at these levels)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lther/advanced.

plenty more to do if your using elixirs especially due to damg reduction of 90 resistance i recommend if your going into heroic.

note: i like the resistance so much i went for 20 fire on cloak instead of 250 armour, 250 armour out of 41k just seemed not worth much but 20 fire res seemed worth it more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    here's me and i get the cap (with elixirs) while having over 16% dodge and 16% parry (it's 250 rating for 1% at these levels)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lther/advanced.

plenty more to do if your using elixirs especially due to damg reduction of 90 resistance i recommend if your going into heroic.

note: i like the resistance so much i went for 20 fire on cloak instead of 250 armour, 250 armour out of 41k just seemed not worth much but 20 fire res seemed worth it more.
    You do have a fairly low health pool to manage with your avoidance levels. Not to say it's bad, you'll likely take less damage than I do, but with ~210k hp buffed, it seems a lot less spiky now, especially since I speak to my healers basically every raid about how easy it is to heal me.

As for the cloak enchant, they're roughly the same in terms of damage reduction. Really depends on the fight, but remember that you have fairly well tailored cooldowns for magic damage, and you rely almost solely on gear for physical damage (in most cases at least, not to mention un-resistable magic damage on some fights)

10+ Year Old Account
    prot 4-piece is a joke, in my opinion. Anyone who thinks it's worth having 4pc probably doesn't realize how much parry/dodge is affected by diminishing returns in this expansion.

after capping CTC you could try to increase dodge/parry, and then probably expertise (which is more helpful than hit rating), but dodge/parry begin to benefit from rating increase very little beyond 16-17% or so.

but haste is a horrible secondary stat for ret paladins, so I can only imagine it's an even more terrible stat for prot paladins. if you did pick up a dps piece, I would make sure it had expertise/mastery or hit/mastery so that you could get closer to caps.

the cheaper and quicker way to drop some secondary stats would be to completely gem stamina, or stam/expertise. Having a bigger health pool directly increases your attack power.
    "Let's eat Grandpa!"
    "Let's eat, Grandpa!
    PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Higg View Post
    prot 4-piece is a joke, in my opinion. Anyone who thinks it's worth having 4pc probably doesn't realize how much parry/dodge is affected by diminishing returns in this expansion.
    How does a straight 12% increase to parry equate to a joke in any situation?
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    How does a straight 12% increase to parry equate to a joke in any situation?
    Parry has horrible diminishing returns, and it only last 10 seconds. The prot 4pc isn't worth deliberately pursuing over a piece of gear with better stats. It's difficult to compare since the 12% parry comes after using Divine Protection, but the DR effect for parry is outrageous. In other words, that 12% parry increase isn't 12% in reality.

If I had this ability as a Use on a trinket, I would almost ignore it. I would probably just use it every once in a while as "something I can push that helps a little".

EDIT: Not to mention that Divine Protection is a stronger damage reduction in every Firelands situation (except Decimation Blade on Baleroc heroic), so if you use Divine Protection, the high-damage event is most likely finished by the time DP expires. so then the 12% parry is up during "regular tanking time" which shouldn't be a stress on healers at all.

And speaking of Baleroc heroic, if your healers can't heal you up to full after getting hit, that means that either your DPS is failing at torments or the healers are failing at getting stacks. Either way, it's not a tank issue.
    Last edited by Higg; 2011-11-02 at 09:35 PM.
    "Let's eat Grandpa!"
    "Let's eat, Grandpa!
    PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Higg View Post
    Parry has horrible diminishing returns, and it only last 10 seconds. The prot 4pc isn't worth deliberately pursuing over a piece of gear with better stats. It's difficult to compare since the 12% parry comes after using Divine Protection, but the DR effect for parry is outrageous. In other words, that 12% parry increase isn't 12% in reality.
    That 12% parry is 12% parry because flat percentages are unaffected by DR.

You can btw look at the four set like a 2% static parry increase, if divine protection is used on CD.