Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pure single player in D3?

I have a question, more to the beta-testers I think.

Some time ago there were words about Diablo III being online only. And then complete silence about this.

Is anything in current Diablo III Beta or in more recent news show any changes on this subject, any possibility to play this game in pure offline mode without Internet connection but with a licensed version of the game? I am against piracy so for me it is question "buy" or "not to buy", looking toward single player with 0 latency which I can play when my ISP has issues, and was big fan of Diablo 1,2 :P

You have to be online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm, well im not a beta tester sadly, looking forward to the game.
    I remember one of blizzard's saying diablo III will be both single and multiplayer, but you can't use certain things from single in multi... something like that.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Deleted
    I think it may work as Starcraft 2 does, that you have to log online once, after that you can play in offline mode.

It's still purely online-only, unfortunately.

If it's like D2 was then you can simply play single-player. I personally always liked multi-player Diablo because its fun killing demons with your friends and better access to high quality gear. =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Requires a permanent Internet connection to play solo.

Sad. Hopefully things will change closer or shortly after release.

Deleted
    From what I remember you can play single player but you need an active internet connection to be able to play. Obviously I'm not sure about this anymore because everyone barely remembers what Blizzard said, didn't understand what Blizzard tried to explain or just suck information out of their ass and see it as true.

Yes, you're free to play by yourself, and the in game content will support this with companions to take the place other players would.

However, you still have to connect to battle.net and remain so. This is largely for security purposes, they can make most of the data server side and therefore impossible to tamper with, since you will always be connected to the server while playing. They could add a single player only mode like existed in D1/2, I'm sure, but after a decade they finally realized that single player Diablo sucks, and the game is extremely based around the community. Therefore, they're attempting to persuade everyone to actually play with other people online.

If you really, really, REALLY want to play completely by yourself, I'm sure mod versions of D3 will eventually exist for download and play solo. Whether or not they are legal will be another story, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Whether or not they are legal will be another story, I guess.
    Has that ever stopped internet "technicians"? :P

Yes, you're free to play by yourself, and the in game content will support this with companions to take the place other players would.

However, you still have to connect to battle.net and remain so. This is largely for security purposes, they can make most of the data server side and therefore impossible to tamper with, since you will always be connected to the server while playing. They could add a single player only mode like existed in D1/2, I'm sure, but after a decade they finally realized that single player Diablo sucks, and the game is extremely based around the community. Therefore, they're attempting to persuade everyone to actually play with other people online.

If you really, really, REALLY want to play completely by yourself, I'm sure mod versions of D3 will eventually exist for download and play solo. Whether or not they are legal will be another story, I guess.
    Except that single player mode doesn't suck. It's the basis for mods. I wouldn't have had the fun (and insanely difficult) Eastern Sun mod in D2 if there were no single player mode.

This is why D3 is so unappealing to me with everything else in it having been made into a watered down WoW clone.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I understand it, it'll be just like Starcraft II, so no "pure" single player in that you won't be able to be offline and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    Except that single player mode doesn't suck. It's the basis for mods. I wouldn't have had the fun (and insanely difficult) Eastern Sun mod in D2 if there were no single player mode.

This is why D3 is so unappealing to me with everything else in it having been made into a watered down WoW clone.
    Mods will still exist, have faith.

I hope the single player campaign lasts longer than some more recent fps rpg type games like dragon age 2 and dungeon siege 3, I was disgusted how they both took 10 hours to complete, will be unhappy if D3 is the same, especially with Skyrim coming out this year which takes 100 hours to complete I think.

Yep, there is "pure" single player.

Because of the real money AH, they require always online to prevent hacked items.

Yadda Yadda people will hack it anyways, I know that, et cetera. They're still doing it this way despite that.

pure single player only in cracked version.
    i'm pretty sure razor will do it, since they release all the legendary games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you still need to be online to be playing singleplayer. But you can play through the game completely alone if you want to since, nobody can join you if you don't allow it. :p
    Last edited by Enjeh; 2011-11-02 at 11:24 AM.

Yep only online, if u could play offline you could bot gold all day and then log on and destroy the economy, by making everyone be online and making inferno very intuitive and difficult, bot simply will NOT be active enuf to make it thru inferno mode efficiently, thus eliminating boting so they can set there sights on maphacks and DUPERS.

Also just so everyone knows in diablo 2 there weren't really "china farmers" there were "china botters" so with the combination of no offline + difficult end game content we may actually maintain a legit community for a while.

They could add a single player only mode like existed in D1/2, I'm sure, but after a decade they finally realized that single player Diablo sucks, and the game is extremely based around the community. Therefore, they're attempting to persuade everyone to actually play with other people online.
    I never thought it sucked. I thought it was great! Being outside the online D2 community, I knew tons of people who played offline and very few battle.net folks. I'm still in disbelief that Blizzard came out and said in a magazine that I and others were "doing it wrong" by playing offline and single player. They made a fortune off of people playing their game wrong.
    I've largely lost the will to fight them on it, but I don't know if I've ever been more hopeful for a game to be hacked. Offline and a pause button, oh man