Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Vagina is actually the closest thing to the supreme evil:

    it enslaves us;

    it drives us insane;

    it drains your wallet:

    yet, we never get enough of that!

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Vagina is actually the closest thing to the supreme evil:

    it enslaves us;

    it drives us insane;

    it drains your wallet:

    yet, we never get enough of that!
    I don't really care to continue beyond this point, this is the most valid point you can come up with in life.

    /thread

  3. #43
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Which is silly considering how many times the Prime Evils have referred to each other as "brothers". Clearly they identify with a gender.
    Because of a male-dominated society, "he" is the common pronoun used when referring to things that are even supposed to lack gender.

    Honestly, it really shouldn't matter if the demon is a he, or a she, or both. Provided it supplies sufficient plot and fits it's role well, it's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Only the board of directors has no say in how Diablo looks, nor is it even notably relevant for 'profit calculating.'

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Q: Is Diablo a girl?

    The cover art for the event booklet made Diablo look anything but the usual muscular, bulky monster we've seen in his more animal incarnations in the previous games. While nothing was confirmed on why Diablo looked so distinctly female, with the sleekness of the abdomen and the wide hips, they did acknowledge that it was done. So it was on purpose. Maybe there's something to the popular Leah-possession lore speculation prevalent in our lore discussion forum.
    That's a paraphrased answer in the Open Q&A at Blizzcon.

    Here is some more from Julian Love, lead technical artist for the game:

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    GF: Diablo is being depicted in a drastically different art style than in D2; less hulking, more slender. Care to comment?

    We had a lot of talk early on about how we should bring Diablo back, what we should aim for in the art style perspective. A lot of monsters are re-treated when brought back from game to game. One of the discussions centered around him being the Lord of Terror, and whether we needed him to be massive in order to equate terror. In the end, the feeling was that wasn’t necessarily the way to convey terror. That’s when we started exploring lots of different takes on Diablo, dozens and dozens and dozens of different concepts, including one where he was half-snake…

    GF: You’ve been using the pronoun “he.” Is Diablo definitely male?

    You know, demons don’t really have a gender.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. Are you trying to show me that Blizzards stance on how things should be, according to their own constantly shifting ideals and visions, can change? Because that's a given fact. The evils, in whatever lore you might face, are genderless. They do, however, have a prefered physical manifestation. In Angel Sanctuary, Belial is female, although he/she herself contests this by saying that he/she is genderless and simply chose a form he/she likes. In the middleages, temptation was female, other forms of evils, or angels, were strictly male.

    In Diablo, Diablo himself has always chosen a male form. If we assume that they are genderless, than it should be their mindset that dictates what they look like. I don't think I can buy the "CUT III, today I'd like to explore my more feminine side". Diablo III, regardless of how they explain it, is a continuation of the series. Physical appearances aren't like dresses. Especially not when it's more like extreme make-over.

    Edit:
    Which doesn't mean I won't play it or won't enjoy it. There simply is no real reason behind this change of appearances and is definitely not required or wanted by the fans.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-11-07 at 06:24 PM.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. Are you trying to show me that Blizzards stance on how things should be, according to their own constantly shifting ideals and visions, can change? Because that's a given fact. The evils, in whatever lore you might face, are genderless. They do, however, have a prefered physical manifestation. In Angel Sanctuary, Belial is female, although he/she herself contests this by saying that he/she is genderless and simply chose a form he/she likes. In the middleages, temptation was female, other forms of evils, or angels, were strictly male.

    In Diablo, Diablo himself has always chosen a male form. If we assume that they are genderless, than it should be their mindset that dictates what they look like. I don't think I can buy the "CUT III, today I'd like to explore my more feminine side". Diablo III, regardless of how they explain it, is a continuation of the series. Physical appearances aren't like dresses. Especially not when it's more like extreme make-over.
    I'm just saying there's probably a better lore-based and art-based reason for the change than 'lol guys like boobs, this will get us MOAR MONEY', like some suggested.

    To be honest, I think remaking the same character 3 times in a row would've just been boring for them.

    Also, their physical appearance in sanctuary isn't very definite.... seemingly. Perhaps, if Leah is indeed who was possessed (plausible if not exactly 'confirmed'), she, with her heritage, hasn't let Diablo be in complete control and is influencing his mind and thus his physical form?

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post

    Also, their physical appearance in sanctuary isn't very definite.... seemingly. Perhaps, if Leah is indeed who was possessed (plausible if not exactly 'confirmed'), she, with her heritage, hasn't let Diablo be in complete control and is influencing his mind and thus his physical form?
    I do indeed think it's more of a design choice than a lore choice. Which is actually exactly why I oppose this change. If Leah, presumably, has that much influence on his mind, how does the world suddenly become hell? "Oh hey, let's only keep the genes that control handgestures, make-up and physical appearance". Sure. Ok Blizzard, we buy it. The game, that is, not Diablo's new feminist side.

  7. #47
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    In Diablo, Diablo himself has always chosen a male form. If we assume that they are genderless, than it should be their mindset that dictates what they look like. I don't think I can buy the "CUT III, today I'd like to explore my more feminine side". Diablo III, regardless of how they explain it, is a continuation of the series. Physical appearances aren't like dresses. Especially not when it's more like extreme make-over.
    If an evil, immortal being CAN take on any form, I'm not sure why you're dead set on the idea that they NEVER will. I would imagine even the most evil of immortal beings gets bored with their appearance from time to time. If we go by the "Leah is posessed" theory, Diablo could maintain a slightly feminine form simply because it makes the player/other heroes who want to save Leah think that she's still in there. I mean we've all seen shows where the evil being allows a little bit of the person they've possessed to "slip through" in order to goad the hero onward.

    Somewhat tropey? Sure, but just because it's tropey doesn't mean it can't be well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If an evil, immortal being CAN take on any form, I'm not sure why you're dead set on the idea that they NEVER will. I would imagine even the most evil of immortal beings gets bored with their appearance from time to time. If we go by the "Leah is posessed" theory, Diablo could maintain a slightly feminine form simply because it makes the player/other heroes who want to save Leah think that she's still in there. I mean we've all seen shows where the evil being allows a little bit of the person they've possessed to "slip through" in order to goad the hero onward.

    Somewhat tropey? Sure, but just because it's tropey doesn't mean it can't be well done.
    I'm not entirely dead set on a single form. Going from male to female, I find that odd. In the least. If a demon wants to look like a big pile of meat with enormous spikes, why? Their own image is a form of ego. Ego is self, self is psychological and if it's psychological, it would be odd to go from a male to a female form, when the ego has clearly passed itself as male in the previous lore.

    All of that said, I can see many, many B-movie ways out of this. Which is exactly why they're B-Movies. The script never makes sense.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-11-07 at 07:01 PM.

  9. #49
    The Lightbringer shadowkras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,011
    I dont know all of you. But nothing reminds me more of "Lord of Terror" than some feminine figures.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

    www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

  10. #50
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I'm not entirely dead set on a single form. Going from male to female, I find that odd. In the least. If a demon wants to look like a big pile of meat with enormous spikes, why? Their own image is a form of ego. Ego is self, self is psychological and if it's psychological, it would be odd to go from a male to a female form, when the ego has clearly passed itself as male in the previous lore.
    I think you're ascribing far too much humanity to a demonic entity. If you were immortal, incredibly evil, and had the power to appear however you looked, while you may have a preferred form or a "default" form, your goal would be to inspire as much fear/hate/terror in your enemies as possible, if that is more readily accomplished with a suggestively female form, you do that.

    All of that said, I can see many, many B-movie ways out of this. Which is exactly why they're B-Movies. The script never makes sense.
    True, but they tend to be cult hits all the same. :-p
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I think you're ascribing far too much humanity to a demonic entity. If you were immortal, incredibly evil, and had the power to appear however you looked, while you may have a preferred form or a "default" form, your goal would be to inspire as much fear/hate/terror in your enemies as possible, if that is more readily accomplished with a suggestively female form, you do that.

    True, but they tend to be cult hits all the same. :-p
    Without trying to go too deep into this.

    Originally, Lucifer, was called Lucifel and he was one of the Arch-Angels. One of the closest to God. When God created man and started to love them more than his earlier creation; the angels, Lucifel and a great many other angels felt wronged (emotion) and turned against God.

    This is summarized, but is essentially the background story for the existence of demons. Belial supposedly had the greatest part in turning Lucifel against God, especially in the psychological department. She(it) twisted and turned the words of God and wrecked havoc in the hearts of many angels.

    When Lucifels band of angels eventually physically opposed God, God cast them into hell. Hence, demons only exist because they have emotion and are very human in nature.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-11-07 at 07:31 PM.

  12. #52
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Without trying to go too deep into this.

    Originally, Lucifer, was called Lucifel and he was one of the Arch-Angels. One of the closest to God. When God created man and started to love them more than his earlier creation; the angels, Lucifel and a great many other angels felt wronged (emotion) and turned against God.

    This is summarized, but is essentially the background story for the existence of demons. Belial supposedly had the greatest part in turning Lucifel against God, especially in the psychological department. She(it) twisted and turned the words of God and wrecked havoc in the hearts of many angels.

    When Lucifels band of angels eventually physically opposed God, God cast them into hell. Hence, demons only exist because they have emotion and are very human in nature.
    I understand this, but I'm saying you're looking at it in the wrong way. It's not that evil entities lack emotion, they're like Sith, they revel in it. I'm saying they lack the same self-perception of a "male" and "female" dichotomy that humans do because they were never explicitly one or the other, and never had to be. It is humans who perceived them as "male" or "female" even though the angels themselves have often expressly stated that they are neither and could choose to appear as either. In fact if we're going Biblicaly, many angels and demons lack a humanoid form at all, 600 wings and all that with a great eye floating above their head, or 4-heads, each of a different wild beast.

    While angels and demons have humanoid emotions, they lack the gender roles and structures of humanity, and only take on appropriately gendered forms in order to better be understood or to better take advantage of humanity. Their appearance is an extension of their desires and how others wish to perceive them more than how they perceive themselves. Again, while they may have some "default" form, it is generally a genderless, inhuman shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I understand this, but I'm saying you're looking at it in the wrong way. It's not that evil entities lack emotion, they're like Sith, they revel in it. I'm saying they lack the same self-perception of a "male" and "female" dichotomy that humans do because they were never explicitly one or the other, and never had to be. It is humans who perceived them as "male" or "female" even though the angels themselves have often expressly stated that they are neither and could choose to appear as either. In fact if we're going Biblicaly, many angels and demons lack a humanoid form at all, 600 wings and all that with a great eye floating above their head, or 4-heads, each of a different wild beast.

    While angels and demons have humanoid emotions, they lack the gender roles and structures of humanity, and only take on appropriately gendered forms in order to better be understood or to better take advantage of humanity. Their appearance is an extension of their desires and how others wish to perceive them more than how they perceive themselves. Again, while they may have some "default" form, it is generally a genderless, inhuman shape.
    Shrug, no point in discussing it any further I fear, since it'll come down to opinions in the end. Possession of some kind would make sense if you look at the near-human form, which in itself doesn't conflict with the jealousy towards human beings. And there are no actual boobs, just ..manplates..of some form..

    I just can't imagine this form containing a voice or roar of great volume. I'd imagine a more leopard like form of movement in this shape and more rogue like features. To me, Diablo is a powerhouse. Let's hope at least that part didn't change.

  14. #54
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I just can't imagine this form containing a voice or roar of great volume. I'd imagine a more leopard like form of movement in this shape and more rogue like features. To me, Diablo is a powerhouse. Let's hope at least that part didn't change.
    Demonic power is supernatural. I'm sure Diablo could stealth and lift a truck at the same time in any form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by cooespooh View Post
    Well, okay, but I don't think they'd put a lesser evil in a wallpaper like that with two iconic characters from their other two games. It wouldn't be Thrall, Kerrigan and Who's-That-Guy in a group together... it'd be three that symbolize the franchises.
    Could be the new "end boss" along with Tyreal
    Quote Originally Posted by Makamoka View Post
    You not gamer, you go play your boring "Real life" with crappy graphics'n stuff! You cant even do Quests, dungeons and BGs in "IRL" :s
    "The ship of failure floats on a sea of excuses."

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Demonic power is supernatural. I'm sure Diablo could stealth and lift a truck at the same time in any form.
    Ye, but I'd prefer to stay away from anime-esque little girls that oneshot criminals :P

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkson View Post
    At Blizzcon, Kevin Martens (Lead content designer on D3) stated that Diablo is not constrained by our human gender stereotypes, and may take multiple forms. We have never actually seen the true form of Diablo.
    Isn't that convenient!

    God I hate how Blizzard just shoots lore out of their ass sometimes to try and match up stuff they draw/make.

  18. #58
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Ye, but I'd prefer to stay away from anime-esque little girls that oneshot criminals :P
    True, but I don't think we're going that route anyway. Though we may simply see a different variety of powers(I'm sure demons have lots of them) in this Diablo than others. Nothing wrong with a little variety, fighting The Hulk all the time can get dull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    Isn't that convenient!

    God I hate how Blizzard just shoots lore out of their ass sometimes to try and match up stuff they draw/make.
    That was pretty much what I was saying yeah The lore gets turned around to support their art, instead of visa versa. I disagree with the process, disagree with the reasoning. But alas, we can't really help it anymore. Perhaps this is why BETA doesn't go past lvl 13

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Ye, but I'd prefer to stay away from anime-esque little girls that oneshot criminals :P
    Not gonna lie, Diablo's supposedly 'feminine' new form still looks like he/she could beat the snot out of me.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 03:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    Isn't that convenient!

    God I hate how Blizzard just shoots lore out of their ass sometimes to try and match up stuff they draw/make.
    Their bodies in Sanctuary have been non-concrete manifestations since D2, with the soulstones. Diablo didn't have a body in Sanctuary until he took over the hero from D1/Leoric's son.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •