What key bindings do you use?

Okay so lately I'm playing my Priest more than I usually do. Even thinking of re-rolling for the expansion! But time and time again I become unhappy with my key bindings. They tend to be the same, and I'm left with some abilities that could be better placed for ease of use.

Currently mine look like this:

There's a few others, on the right side bars such as Shift + F for mount, and Shift + D for rocket boots. Cloak enchant, and Gloves remain unbound. It's these plus the image above I want to change with the aim of making my healing more efficient in that sense.

So what do you guys and girls use? A screenshot would be nice to see, I like to see a visual representation of such things, for some reason. I'm not a huge fan of Control modifiers either (I do use ALT and Shift), but if you can list some convincing combinations, that could be what I need to change my habits.

I can't help you directly since my Priest is Holy rather than Disc but I can show you my setup with some explanation:

-I don't really like alt or control buttons, they feel awkward to me so I just stick to a variety of buttons with shift modifiers. I've rebound 7 through = with Shift-1 through Shift 6.
    -I never played shooters so by the time I wanted to rebind my turn keys I was too used to Q and E as strafe; you can pretend my A and D buttons are simply those.
    -I use scrolling down and the second bar for less essential abilities, so that's what the third line is (got in the habit years ago with my first character).
    -Levitate is on my bars twice because I'm trying to get used to it in Shift-1 (an awkward spot for my large hands) but after a fatal fall where I tried to click where I used to have it I decided I'd leave it in both places until I adjusted.
    -The triple Chastises are F1 (de-Chakra and disorient something), 6 (Serenity), and Shift-6 (Sanctuary). I couldn't seem to convince a macro to work smoothly with all forms of Chakra so I used some spare keybinds.
    -I'm the enchanter for myself, my brothers, and their friends in game. So yes, I do have Disenchant bound because it's what I spend the first 5 minutes of every day doing.

Anyway, don't know if that helps in any way.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2011-11-02 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I can't help you directly since my Priest is Holy rather than Disc but I can show you my setup with some explanation:

-I use scrolling down and the second bar for less essential abilities, so that's what the third line is (got in the habit years ago with my first character).
    Do you mean using the mouse wheel to select another bar? If so, that's something I had considered trying, so that bit specifically is quite useful. Do you have all the bars visible all the time if that's the case though? Seen some people use just 1 visible bar with mouse wheel to move between other bars, keeping the same key binds but essentially moving bars between them. The problem I have here though is that I'm too used to using the mouse wheel for zoom in/out by now so that'd be an adjustment I would have to make.

Noticed as well that you have CoH over on 0 - is that something you're just used to, or is there another binding in play there? I've never really used any Shift + x, z, c (those keys in that area) type of bindings .. that'd be something else for me to experiment with as well That does help quite a bit though, so don't worry about that :-P

Yeah, only one bar is visible at a time. So the top rows you see are what my bars normally look like, then I just hold shift and mousewheel scroll to replace it with the bar I pasted onto the bottom of the picture. My experience is that those scroll keys work best for: a) Abilities you're "changing mode" to use (like the last phase of Chimaeron where I just stop healing), b) You know you're going to have to use at least a second in advance. If you try to use the scroll-buttons it can get really awkward if you move too quickly. It also helps incredibly to make sure you've got a "clicky" mouse wheel; I cannot stand the really smooth mouse wheels because it's actually very easy to scroll right past the bar you want.

And as for the key bindings: 7 = Shift-1, 8 = Shift-2...etc. So 0 is Shift-4 for me, but because 0 is also bound there the UI shows that (since I know what I'm hitting I've never felt the need to correct that).
    Last edited by Neichus; 2011-11-02 at 05:24 AM.

Deleted
    A screenshot would be useless because I use bindpads in combination with bartender for my bindings and some spells are hidden god knows where (my UI got messy but it works fine and I'm lazy.. ^^).

(some are ~ inverted when I dps)
    1: Smite / Shift+1:Holy fire / Ctrl+1: SW: D (for some reason, I'm not that comfortable using 1 on important things)
    2: PoH / Shift+2: VT
    3: BH / Shift+3: SW:P
    4: FH / Shift+4: DP
    5: DH / Dispersion
    Q: Heal / MB
    E: GH / MF
    (I use A and D to strafe)
    R: Chakra / MS
    F: AA
    X: SF / shift+x: HoH
    (I have Inner focus macroed to FH/GH and PoH for laziness purpose)

I don't use/like modifiers much and pretty much everything else is on my mouse (PW:S, PW:B, penance/CoH, Holy words, PI, PS, GS, fade (<3 fade), dispell, mass dispell, Healthstone, trinkets, LoF, levitate, PoM, renew, etc).
    Also, pretty much all those spells are mouseover macros. Couldn't do without now that I'm used to it.
    I don't pvp much so things like fear/shackle etc are a little farther away (6,t,g...)
    I click potions, shame on me ^^
    Hope this helps

Edit: I wouldn't like having fade, BH and LoF on modifier keys. Also, I don't see PoH? And I don't use my wand at all (maybe I could to punt on Rag I guess) so I'd suggest to have something more useful on shift+5 (which is easy to do with my hands at least).
    Last edited by mmoc4a1158ae20; 2011-11-02 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinn View Post

Edit: I wouldn't like having fade, BH and LoF on modifier keys. Also, I don't see PoH? And I don't use my wand at all (maybe I could to punt on Rag I guess) so I'd suggest to have something more useful on shift+5 (which is easy to do with my hands at least).
    PoH was on the side bar unbound *cough* that I was clicking, but only today, as I had moved a few bits around. As for Shift+5 - not sure what to put there really. Perhaps PoH? Will have to try that one out, and see how it feels. I feel more at home with Holy than Discipline, and on my Holy set-up it's somewhere else anyway, so it would only be for Discipline that I would put it on Shift+5.

Leap of Faith I use alongside Clique - in combat right-clicking pulls the target to me. I don't use a left click function in-combat setting with Clique, although I've thought about finding something such as Renew (using a rapid renew spec at the moment) I would first want to make sure there'd be no reason I would need to actually target someone. (out of combat left/right click with Clique is the usual select unit and unit menu respectively)

---------- Post added 2011-11-02 at 06:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Yeah, only one bar is visible at a time. So the top rows you see are what my bars normally look like, then I just hold shift and mousewheel scroll to replace it with the bar I pasted onto the bottom of the picture. My experience is that those scroll keys work best for: a) Abilities you're "changing mode" to use (like the last phase of Chimaeron where I just stop healing), b) You know you're going to have to use at least a second in advance. If you try to use the scroll-buttons it can get really awkward if you move too quickly. It also helps incredibly to make sure you've got a "clicky" mouse wheel; I cannot stand the really smooth mouse wheels because it's actually very easy to scroll right past the bar you want.

And as for the key bindings: 7 = Shift-1, 8 = Shift-2...etc. So 0 is Shift-4 for me, but because 0 is also bound there the UI shows that (since I know what I'm hitting I've never felt the need to correct that).
    Yeah, my mouse is a "clicky" wheel It's mostly out of habit that I have everything on a bar visible, like where you've pasted your second bar at the bottom to illustrate it, I would normally have those like this:

http://weezel.co.uk/img/11-2011/Worl...2_06.35.56.jpg

The thing to bear in mind here is that I have only really begun to play this char in the last day or so with an regularity. So if things seem odd, that's why :-D Pretty much the entire right side bar I would be able to shift to a second bar that I would scroll through like how you do. This I think I'll do later on, and just get used to it (6.40am - must sleeeeep).

15+ Year Old Account
    I could never get used to using 1,2,3,4 etc.. I moved WASD buttons to EFDS and use

R: CoH/Penance
    T: Sanctuary/Serenity
    Y: GS/PS
    G: FH
    H: PoM
    B: Heal
    V: Renew
    C: Gheal
    X: BH
    Z: PoH
    A: Chakra/PW:B
    W: Dispel Magic
    Q: LoF
    <: Fade
    I feel I reach them much more easily - my fingers are already resting at those buttons. Ofc I use mouseover macros and move with a combination of mouse and keys to strafe. I have my DPS spells at 1,2,3,4,5,6. Maybe it is cause my hands are pretty small (girl). I also have a couple of spells tied to my mouse buttons (PW:S+MD). Some spells I bind for fights when I need them, like Holy Nova and replace them with spells I know I won't have to use.

I don't have a use yet for Shift+? spellbinds. LW/Fiend/Hymns I can easily click and get away with that since I plan them ahead and they are not Oh Shit buttons (yet);P
    Last edited by nobodysbaby; 2011-11-02 at 11:14 AM.

Deleted
    I use something I've dubbed "dual macros". Macros that let me cast a helpful or harmful spell, depending on the enemy. Effectively letting me stack all my DPS spells onto my healing spells and saving some key-space =)

Outside the mousebutton spells, I don't use mouseover macros. I do, however, use self-cast buttons via alt. Since Lifegrip doesn't have a self-cast, I mixed Fade into that one, so you can't see that one on my bars.

Holy:

Disc:

Dual macro examples:

#show [harm]Shadow Word: Pain; Renew
    /cast [mod:alt,@player]Renew;[harm]Shadow Word: Pain;Renew

/cast [@mouseover,help][help]Renew;[harm]Shadow Word: Pain

15+ Year Old Account

I have a Razer Naga @ the weird numbers.

I use Blizzard raid frames + Clique mostly.
    Last edited by Ultima; 2011-11-02 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the bindings I use. I don't really like CTRL binds ;/ and the bars on the left are hidden

Hope you all like my paint skills!

Pretty simple, just Numbers and Alt+Numbers. Razer Naga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Considered getting one of those mice, hehe.

So far I have done this:
    http://weezel.co.uk/img/11-2011/Scre...2_16.19.32.jpg

Second bar looks like:

ignoring the right side bars, I have Holy Word: Chastise just on it's own at the bottom - so that when I'm using sanctuary, I just press the button and I can put it where needed. I've created a Clique setting for in-combat only, that casts Holy Word: Serenity on the target. I still have Leap of Faith on right click (combat only). My only problem/concern is that when I have sanctuary up, left clicking someone in Grid will do nothing as Serenity won't be active (and I can't work out how to have the Clique setting co-exist with being able to target the player at the same time). That said, I can't think of a reason yet that I would want to manually target someone for via clicking them in Grid.

e: It's crude, but my Clique macro for Serenity not being active but me still wanting to target them now just has /target [@mouseover] at the start of it. Dunno why I didn't think of that to begin with.

---------- Post added 2011-11-02 at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dicebar View Post

Dual macro examples:

/cast [mod:alt,@player]Renew;[harm]Shadow Word: Pain;Renew

/cast [@mouseover,help][help]Renew;[harm]Shadow Word: Pain
    hmm, I might mess around with these, thankyou!
    Last edited by Wozarib; 2011-11-02 at 04:45 PM.

Discipline:

Shadow:

Clique for both specs:

All those bars are hidden. I use another set of 4 bars (I use 9 bar in total) to set the layout like I want and switch specs easily without messing around.
    Last edited by FieryBull; 2011-11-02 at 05:43 PM.

Deleted
    1: mind sear
    2: mind blast
    3: holy fire
    4: swp
    5: dp
    6: flask (alchemy)
    7-9: mana pot
    V: inner focus
    T: healthstone
    E: Smite
    R: SWD
    Q: Dispel
    < and z: PI self
    C: Holy nova
    F: Fear
    X: Fade
    B: Inner fire
    Alt-E: Shackle target
    Shift-1: Mind spike
    Shift-Y: Fearward self
    Shift-C: Wand
    Shift-Q: drink
    Shift-½: HoH
    Shift-T: PW:B
    Shift-E: Conc pot
    Shift-F: Mana burn
    Ctrl-C: Ground mount
    Ctrl-X: Flying mount
    Ctrl-V: Inner will
    Ctrl-G: Hearthstone
    Ctrl-B: mind control
    Ctrl-T: Desperate prayer (if i got it specced)
    Ctrl-F: Mass Dispel
    Ctrl-Q: Human Racial
    Ctrl-R: Shadowfiend
    Ctrl-½: DH
    Ctrl-Alt-E: Levitate self
    Ctrl-Alt-Q: Cancel aura levitate
    Ctrl-Alt-1: Fortitude self
    Ctrl-Alt-2: Shadow res
    Ctrl-Alt 3: Mass res
    Ctrl-alt 4: Mass summon

Mouseover clicks:
    Left mouse: Flash heal
    Middle button: Renew
    Right button: Penance
    Scroll up: Dispel
    Scroll down: Cure disease
    Button 4: PWS
    Button 5: PoM
    Ctrl-Left button: Pain sub
    Ctrl-Middle button: Leap of faith
    Ctrl-Right button: Greater heal
    Ctrl-button4+5: Heal
    Alt-Right button: PI target
    Alt-Middle button: Fear ward target
    Shift-left button: Binding heal
    Shift-Right button: PoH
    Shift-middle button: Levitate target
    Shift-button4+5: Select target

Little under 60 binds in total.

Needless to say I'm hooked on ctrl/shift modifiers deep into my core.

Not over raid frames:
    Middle Mouse = Lightwell
    Mouse 5 = Holy Word
    Mouse 4 = Auto run

Over raid frames:
    Left click = Target
    Right click = Renew
    shft+leftclick = PoH
    shft+rightclick = CoH
    ctrl+rightclick = PoM
    alt+rightclick = Dispel
    alt+leftclick = Abolish disease

Mouse 5 = Flash Heal
    shft+ mouse 5 = Greater Heal
    ctrl+ mouse 5 = Binding Heal

Middle mouse = Guardian Spirit
    shift+middlemouse= Leap of Faith

With my holy spec, the DPS stuff is keyed in 1-6 keys
    And the rest are buttons I mouse click if I need to (Divine Hymn, Desperate Prayer, Mass Dispel, Hymn of Hope, Shadow Fiend, pots, HS, etc..)

For Shadow:

Over raid frames:
    right click = Mysery

Not over raid frames:

1- SWP
    2- VT
    3- DP
    4- MB
    middle mouse: flay

^Alysrazor ended up pwning my binds as shadow, I usually hate using number keys T.T (my fingers dont bend that way comfortably)

Deleted
    (disc)

Move with ESDF

Mouse 5 - PW: Shield

1 - Mass dispell
    2 - Greater heal + IF
    3 - Flash heal + IF
    shift 3 - Binding heal + IF
    4 - Holy nova
    5 - Renew
    6 - Dispell
    7 - Cure disease
    8 - Shackle

Q - Shadowmeld (hehe :P)
    W - Prayer of Healing + IF
    shift w - Divine Hymn
    A - Archangel

R - Smite / HF
    T - SWP / DP
    Y - Penance
    G - Psychic scream
    H - Leap of faith

X - Mind sear
    C - Levitate
    V - Fade

F1 - Shadowfiend
    F2 - Prayer of Mending
    F3 - Power Infusion
    F4 - Pain suppression
    F5 - PW: Barrier
    F6 - Desperate prayer

Think that's it
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2011-11-02 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted
    Not playing Holy atm, so here's my disc key-bindings:

F1: Power Infusion (macro'ed to use on myself)
    F2: PoH (macroed to use IF)
    F3: +480 Int (Engineering)
    F4: Inner Focus

`: Heal
    1: Flash Heal (macroed for using IF)
    2: Renew
    3: PoM
    4: Penance
    5: Power Word: Barrier
    6: (usually a "Use" trinket, changes depending on fight and spec)

Q: Cure Disease
    E: Dispell Magic
    R: Greater Heal (macroed to use IF)
    T: Mass-Disspell
    F: Power Word: Shield
    X: Binding Heal

Numpad +: Smite (macroed for focus target)
    Numpad 3: Holy Fire (ditto)
    Numpad 0: Pain Suppression
    Numpad ./Del: Desperate Prayer

Mouse button 5: Leap of Faith (life grip)

Quote Originally Posted by Vorend View Post
    Discipline:

Shadow:

Clique for both specs:

All those bars are hidden. I use another set of 4 bars (I use 9 bar in total) to set the layout like I want and switch specs easily without messing around.
    damn thats alot of clique

So far im adjusting to this new playstyle well, thanks so far everyone lots of bindings above, thanks you guys - gona see if i can make use of some of them as well

I could not even think about using clique for DPS. I have been shadow for all of T12 and these are my binidngs with a Razer Naga

N1 = Vampiric Touch
    N2 = Shadow Word Pain
    N3 = Mind Blast
    N4 = Devouring Plague
    N5 = Mind Flay
    N6 = Shadow Word Death
    N7 = Power Word Shield on myself
    N8 = Mind Spike
    N9 = Leap of Faith mouseover macro
    N10 = Mind Sear
    N11 = Mount Macro
    N12 = Dispersion

1 = Prospect macro (Yes I use it in raids, what else should I do between p3 and p4 heroic rag?)
    2 = Fade
    3 = Shadow Fiend
    4 = Volcanic Potion
    5 = Psychic Scream
    6 = Archangel
    7 = Healthstone
    Shift + 1 = Targeting macro that i change per fight

Anything else is not bound or is not useful in combat.