Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42

    Alright MMO-C, I need your opinion

    Alright, I have an issue and I want you all's opinion on this.
    Some backstory: I just turned 13, I am a honor roll student, and me and me dad have a pretty good relationship.
    At my house the main computer is pretty good, although I'm usually the only one who ever uses it. My dad uses it twice a month at most. My mom and brother both have laptops.
    Also, there has been a download blocker on the computer scince we got it, and I have been fine with it.

    Now onto the new stuff: My dad just today turned on a norton feature, blocking some sites, and being annoying on others. I see no reason for him to have done this, No website I have been to has negatively impacted me, and my parents are somewhat overprotective, I find them annoying, probably because I'm at "that age". I'm planning to present my opinion in an educated way when my dad Gets home tomorrow. Sorry if this was somewhat rant-like, I'm tired and a bit angry.

    Now, to the question. Do you think my dad is being reasonable or not?

    Also, before some of you just say "Suck it up,that's nothing" just look at it logically and present a constructive opinion

  2. #2
    I've never had any blocked TV channels, child security things for the internet, ect.

    If you can't trust your own child, you shouldn't let them on the internet or watch TV in the first place.

    And really, hiding the truth can only be bad. Especially from someone your age. I can understand under the age of 9 or 10, but seriously. You're a teenager. They need to realize this.

  3. #3
    The constructive opinion is to realize that while you are a person, you're still a child, and the responsibility for your care lies on your parents' shoulders. I hate to say it, but you should use this as a means to:

    a)prove to them that you're trustworthy by accepting the blocking
    b)remember that you live in their house and must accept their rules

    You've got your whole life ahead of you, no need to make a big deal out of something that will seem so insignificant and meaningless in 10 years.

    As someone who used to be a 13 year old boy, I empathize with you though, if you know what I mean, haha.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    2,573
    You seem somewhat mature for a thirteen year old. So I would go with this:

    I'm planning to present my opinion in an educated way when my dad Gets home tomorrow.
    Hopefully it works out for you.

  5. #5
    love how u spin that about "no site ive been too have negatively impact me", well played boy. on topic - if the whole house has computers, time to get ur own, with no restrictions(not like u cant remove them even if they put any).

    its understandable if ur parents are a little more protective - kids start doing shit these days way too early.

    also - negotiations go BOTH ways - use that in your "speech" that I am sure you are prepping, props up for not going the rebellion/idiots way.

  6. #6
    High Overlord EpicLombax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Crazy California
    Posts
    140
    Even if you take away the "protective parent" part, you still have to consider the computer protection part.

    If you can pay for a virus removal service then go ahead and use that in your argument; otherwise, that will be the kicker.
    Can you afford to be wrong?

  7. #7
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42
    Wow, quick replies
    @Larynx
    those were actaly some points I was going to use In my presentation of sorts to my dad.
    @BuffaloSoldier
    I think I can make it, those types of thoughts don't cross my mind
    @Chonogo
    I can see your logic in that, it's more of the idea that as I get older, I should get more rights/privilidges , not less
    @Khaza-R
    Thank you

  8. #8
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,339
    Cleaned up some posts as they are not appropriate for the forum. Please check the guidelines about what is and isn't appropriate if you haven't already.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Cleaned up some posts as they are not appropriate for the forum. Please check the guidelines about what is and isn't appropriate if you haven't already.
    Sorry, dear Fuzzzie.

  10. #10
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42
    @klaps
    Wish I could, I have more than enough money for it but my parents would say no
    @EpicLombax
    We have norton
    @Aemos
    It's more of my dad, don't know why but Tom prow night I'm going to talk with my parents and hopefully get those restrictions lessened or hopefully removed

  11. #11
    You could always just pick up hacking and getting around blocks.

    That's a useful skill in this day and age.

  12. #12
    The Patient banans's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Norden
    Posts
    295
    Talk and be resonable, don't yell, get angry or anything like that. Talk with a calm voice and be mature, I think that's the best thing you can do. And how much experience does your parents have with the internet? If they don't realy know what it is they might be setting up blocks that don't realy help at all, if they do however know a bit about the internet and actualy set up blocks to protect you, then try and ask them why they are doing that. The only way to get rid of the blocks is to be mature (or remove it like I did when I was 13.) But if your parents refuse to remove the blocks, then don't make a big deal about it. Just my 2 copper.

  13. #13
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    You could always just pick up hacking and getting around blocks.

    That's a useful skill in this day and age.
    Thats easy, I have command prompt. I could even change my dad's password. But I want to avoid that until there is no other possible way

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpalidan View Post
    Thats easy, I have command prompt. I could even change my dad's password. But I want to avoid that until there is no other possible way
    A wise course of action.


  15. #15
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by banans View Post
    Talk and be resonable, don't yell, get angry or anything like that. Talk with a calm voice and be mature, I think that's the best thing you can do. And how much experience does your parents have with the internet? If they don't realy know what it is they might be setting up blocks that don't realy help at all, if they do however know a bit about the internet and actualy set up blocks to protect you, then try and ask them why they are doing that. The only way to get rid of the blocks is to be mature (or remove it like I did when I was 13.) But if your parents refuse to remove the blocks, then don't make a big deal about it. Just my 2 copper.
    Both my parents have some Internet experience, not much though. And the blocks are kind of unreasonable.
    And when presenting my argument I plan to be calm and mature as much as I can

  16. #16
    I believe your father is being reasonable since it doesn't seem like it's preventing you from doing what you were already doing.

    Best you can do is show them you respect their decision and live with it. If it starts to mess with harmless stuff then you should talk about it. It may suck for now but they're just doing what they think is best for you, in a way it shows they care about you.

  17. #17
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    548
    Before getting into lessening or removing of restrictions, try to construct your argument based on facts. Ask them exactly what they want to block, and show them that you have no interest in them. Asking them to remove/lessen restrictions up front will only prove that you need an access to those restricted content, which will work against you. But then, if you don't need access to those content, those restrictions won't ever affect you. So there's the dilemma.

    You could argue that you're self-disciplined and mature enough that there's no need for content blocker, and the fact that you're being restricted (as opposed to the restricted content itself) hurts your self-esteem (which I think is what you're feeling right now). This may be a bit difficult, but if your parents are cool, you may end up being successful.

    The middle ground would be to ask them to remove restriction for particular content that you need (with valid reasons, for school/whatever).

  18. #18
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    I believe your father is being reasonable since it doesn't seem like it's preventing you from doing what you were already doing.

    Best you can do is show them you respect their decision and live with it. If it starts to mess with harmless stuff then you should talk about it. It may suck for now but they're just doing what they think is best for you, in a way it shows they care about you.
    there are some semi-harmless sites that it blocks. I'd be fine with it if it blocked very mature sites Id never use. And they have the right idea for protecting me,because the care very much, but they are acting like they don't trust me, and the talk I will have with them tomorrow will hopefully straighten things up

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpalidan View Post
    there are some semi-harmless sites that it blocks. I'd be fine with it if it blocked very mature sites Id never use. And they have the right idea for protecting me,because the care very much, but they are acting like they don't trust me, and the talk I will have with them tomorrow will hopefully straighten things up
    Sometimes parents do act irrationally in regards to trust. Believe it or not, you're entering a pretty screwed up part of your life. Try to keep an open mind if/when you have a discussion with them. Otherwise it may spiral out of control and end up being worse for all of you.

  20. #20
    you need to be honest with your old man, just say "dad, im at the age were i need to look at some porn now and then, and this norton blocker crap is really messing up my day" - he will understand

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •