Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Xami View Post
    Before getting into lessening or removing of restrictions, try to construct your argument based on facts. Ask them exactly what they want to block, and show them that you have no interest in them. Asking them to remove/lessen restrictions up front will only prove that you need an access to those restricted content, which will work against you. But then, if you don't need access to those content, those restrictions won't ever affect you. So there's the dilemma.

    You could argue that you're self-disciplined and mature enough that there's no need for content blocker, and the fact that you're being restricted (as opposed to the restricted content itself) hurts your self-esteem (which I think is what you're feeling right now). This may be a bit difficult, but if your parents are cool, you may end up being successful.

    The middle ground would be to ask them to remove restriction for particular content that you need (with valid reasons, for school/whatever).
    Wisely said. I defiantly will agree on some sites that i would never use and my parents deem too mature should be blocked. And yes the fact that they don't trust me hurts me very much on the inside.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    you need to be honest with your old man, just say "dad, im at the age were i need to look at some porn now and then, and this norton blocker crap is really messing up my day" - he will understand
    ^^lol no but seriously i was under internet arrest until like 12 and then got my own computer for schoolwork and play wow whenever i wanted ask for your own computer for christmas/bday ^_^

  3. #23
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    you need to be honest with your old man, just say "dad, im at the age were i need to look at some porn now and then, and this norton blocker crap is really messing up my day" - he will understand
    Except i would never do that

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpalidan View Post
    Alright, I have an issue and I want you all's opinion on this.
    Some backstory: ... My dad just today turned on a norton feature, blocking some sites, and being annoying on others. I see no reason for him to have done this,..

    Now, to the question. Do you think my dad is being reasonable or not?
    The first questions which come to mind are:

    1. Why did he turn that feature on? Did he know it would cause issues on sites you have already been viewing, or did he just assume it would only affect "bad" sites?

    If he knew what he was doing, you are going to have a harder time getting him to reverse course than if it wasn't intentional.

    2. What does "...blocking some sites, and being annoying on others." mean... exactly?

    The virus checker where I work frequently flags pages on Digital Photography Review [www.dpreview.com] as having "critical threat" URL-links in some of the ads, and is always throwing-up warning messages that those URLs are being blocked... That kind of annoying? And, what sites are being blocked?
    I take some solace in the fact that even though my snarky reply to someone's condescending rhetorical question earned me a 1-week ban, my post was not deleted. I was rather proud of that bit of snark, and I am glad it lives on.

  5. #25
    Blademaster Felpalidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East coast
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysmic Skyris View Post
    ^^lol no but seriously i was under internet arrest until like 12 and then got my own computer for schoolwork and could go to porn and play wow whenever i wanted ask for your own computer for christmas/bday ^_^
    Well next year I could come up with "I need it for programming" which I actaly kinda do- I'm planning to be a programmer when I'm an adult. And to be honest what I'd ask for is permission to buy it. Ive saved up about $1000

    @yseraboy it blocks some programming sites, and deviantart, which I only use to talk with my friends because I barley see them at school
    And by annoying, I mean most times I open up any page Nortan pops up and says " content from X has been blocked due to ..." trust me, it gets very old very fast
    And I haven't gotten to talk to him about it yet
    Last edited by Felpalidan; 2011-11-02 at 03:55 AM.

  6. #26
    That really sucks man, and your doing yourself a favor by not being interested in internet porn. I recently read a report from a study that it de-sensitizes you to a point if you do it enough when you see the real thing its not as big of a deal.
    Personally, i hate porn, find it degrading to the women and after viewing it once like all males do i decided never again.
    Age:16

    Edit: lol and on topic, yeah i didn't have quite a strict blockage by my parents since my dad is pretty computer savvy and they trusted me. But, whever i did get interent shutdown at a certain time i just kept quiet for a little bit then brought up good arguments later and got the internet shutdown disabled.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

  7. #27
    Dreadlord rektlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpalidan View Post
    Except i would never do that
    it's the only way. unless he was a massive turbonerd when he was younger he would understand the need for pr0nz
    this game sucks

  8. #28
    Keep in mind it's possible that it's blocking more than he even intended. Just letting him know the hindrance it's causing and he may just say "oh my bad"

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    it's the only way. unless he was a massive turbonerd when he was younger he would understand the need for pr0nz
    Do you think everybody in the world is like you or something?

    Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

  10. #30
    Nope, he's not. But you're not gonna win him over by telling him that straight up. You gotta be crafty about this business!

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Yseraboy View Post
    Why did he turn that feature on? Did he know it would cause issues on sites you have already been viewing, or did he just assume it would only affect "bad" sites?

    If he knew what he was doing, you are going to have a harder time getting him to reverse course than if it wasn't intentional.
    This is very much where I would start to base an argument from.

    If he knew exactly what he was doing, you're going to have to actually show him or explain in depth the annoyance of the program. You should consider working with him to set up protection that is fair to both of you.

    If he just loaded it up and let it go about on its default setting, the argument should be less technical. Explain the preset settings are being overly reactive and provoking a lot of false alarms.

    Compile a list of a few sites that display this annoyance that are also neutral in content and show him these. Nothing helps an argument like a real example right in front of you.

  12. #32
    Field Marshal Syantaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cornfield
    Posts
    96
    I wouldn't say that he is being unreasonable, there is some pretty crazy stuff on the internet. Just talk to him and figure out what he is worried about. Maybe then you two can come to some sort of compromise.

  13. #33
    If it was me I'd probably just turn it off, but the better solution is to talk to your father.

  14. #34
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpalidan View Post
    Except i would never do that
    You say that now but wait till hormones hit and you be looking porn like it was going out of fashion. Just curious is your brother older than you? chances are they caught him looking up some good stuff.

  15. #35
    So, what happened?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •