Thread: New PC woes :-(

Deleted

Please Help, I Built a fail PC.

So ..... I decided to build my first computer, wish i hadn't started. Now for the Problem.
    When i turn it on i hear the fans starting up , the lights and display screen on the case turn on , then after 3-5 seconds it turns off.

It consists of

CASE : NZXT Gaurdian 921
    MOBO : Asus M4N98TD EVO, NF 980a SLI, S AM3, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 1066/1333/2000(OC), SATA 3Gb/s RAID, ATX
    GRAPHICS : 1GB MSI GTX 550 Ti OC, 40nm, 4300MHz GDDR5, GPU 950MHz, Shader 1900MHz, 192 Cores, DL DVI-I/ mHDMI
    RAM :8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-10600 (1333), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V
    HD :2TB Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4EG, SATA 3Gb/s, 5400rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9ms, NCQ
    CPU :AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, S AM3, 3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, 125W, Retail

Thanks in advance for any help, Much appreciated.
    Last edited by mmoc8fdcd2e007; 2011-11-02 at 06:30 AM.

Deleted
    This looks like a simple case of a loose stand-off where your motherboard is fitted to your case. Take your motherboard out and sit it on a cardboard box/wooden table and connect only RAM, Monitor and then power it with your PSU and try booting it to see if it works or not. Now if that worked then you need to check all your stand-off's in your case are screwed in completely and evenly and in the right place. There will be a map on the side panel identifying what stand-off's to use depending on size of board sore do them all. Now just take your time and re fit your motherboard by screwing it firmly but not too firm or you will break a stand-off, I use this method.

1 6 4

7 5 8

3 9 2

This is just to give you a rough idea your mother board might only use 8 screws so dont take it too literally. One last thing by the way, Make sure you are using the right screws they will be slightly shorter than normal with a slightly bigger head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Triple-check all connections are properly done and your RAM is firmly locked in. You'll also want to make sure you have a keyboard plugged in ^_^ some mobo's refuse to boot without a keyboard.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    sorry for the late reply, had a couple of busy days at work .
    tried the cardboard test and the same happens , re-seated and checked all wires and components ....same happens .
    the Motherboard light stays on when the psu is plugged in , if i turn the pc on the case/CPU fan etc start up and then it just stops after 2-3 seconds . :-(
    Thanks for the suggestions , just a pity they didn't work.

Deleted
    Before you RMA the motherboard ect try resetting the cmos by taking the battery out for around 15 seconds and then try again if that does not work then just send the parts back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LJGibbs View Post
    sorry for the late reply, had a couple of busy days at work .
    tried the cardboard test and the same happens , re-seated and checked all wires and components ....same happens .
    the Motherboard light stays on when the psu is plugged in , if i turn the pc on the case/CPU fan etc start up and then it just stops after 2-3 seconds . :-(
    Thanks for the suggestions , just a pity they didn't work.
    Have you tried it with nothing but the CPU in?

Motherboard + CPU + power switch headers. Turn it on and see what happens. If the same thing happens then you know its either your PSU, Motherboard or CPU.
    Now, try another PSU. If it happens with another PSU, then you know the PSU is safe.

Now you have a choice of 2 components - send them both back to their manufacturers and get them tested/RMAed.