Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I was wondering if you guys would add a sticky. Thanks!
    Yeah I was slackin

Another great blog post yesterday!

Edit: ooops I linked the JP version
    Last edited by aikoyamamato; 2013-02-25 at 08:09 PM.

Yeah I watched the live letter in that blog, and even though I don't understand any Japanese, I found Yoshi P's voice to be so calming and it increased my man crush on him even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxonn View Post
    Yeah I watched the live letter in that blog, and even though I don't understand any Japanese, I found Yoshi P's voice to be so calming and it increased my man crush on him even more.
    I totally love the guy!
    The JP twitter, blog etc gets more information a lot of the time. You could probably understand enough through Google Translate if you want. I'm totally waiting for the day Google invents software that can "listen to" and translate audio. It will happen, mark my words.

I totally love the guy!
    The JP twitter, blog etc gets more information a lot of the time. You could probably understand enough through Google Translate if you want. I'm totally waiting for the day Google invents software that can "listen to" and translate audio. It will happen, mark my words.
    google glass will only help make that a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    google glass will only help make that a reality.
    Except google translate sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I didn't say it would be good, just that it would help make it a reality. Just like steam on linux won't make it a gaming OS, but it will help.

I totally love the guy!
    I didn't mind about not understanding tbh, I had a googledoc with someone translating as it went on, even though it was laggy, it was mainly for the gameplay and concept art (I do want that bear armor they showed, even if I hate pvp I will grind that shit as long as it doesn't have "slavage"esque droprate/mythic cost).

I didn't mind about not understanding tbh, I had a googledoc with someone translating as it went on, even though it was laggy, it was mainly for the gameplay and concept art (I do want that bear armor they showed, even if I hate pvp I will grind that shit as long as it doesn't have "slavage"esque droprate/mythic cost).
    Salvage pretty much wrecked FFXI for me, so hopefully it'll have more realistic drop rates. I just got fed up of endless runs for nothing or the same 1/3 items I needed just to put 1 piece of gear together. I think I've got 1 piece for every part of the Usukane set still in my mog storage. Never found any of the other pieces. And some of the things that you had to do to get certain mobs to pop and the randomness of item dropping mobs popping... it was just insane. Dynamis I liked, Sky farming I liked, Limbus I liked, Sea farming I liked, doing ENMs over and over I liked... but Salvage... it was just demoralizing.
    The Tower: To some, it symbolizes failure, ruin and catastrophe.
    To others, the Tower represents the paradigms constructed by the ego, the sum total of all schema that the mind constructs to understand the universe. The querent may be holding on to false ideas or pretenses; a new approach to thinking about the problem is needed. It may be time for the querent to re-examine belief structures, ideologies, and paradigms they hold to.

Google translate is fantastic for Asian languages. Now, you'll have some of those stick-up-the-ass elitists who will tell you "It doesn't give you the true emotion of the language! The intricate subtleties can't be conveyed in English!" or that sort of nonsense. Would you want to use google translate to read Korean poetry? Probably not. But it serves it's purpose perfectly: Taking a sentence, and telling you what it says.

Now, Middle Eastern languages on the other hand... oh god... I've seen some nightmares come out of Google translate when working with Turkish...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Google translate is fantastic for Asian languages. Now, you'll have some of those stick-up-the-ass elitists who will tell you "It doesn't give you the true emotion of the language! The intricate subtleties can't be conveyed in English!" or that sort of nonsense. Would you want to use google translate to read Korean poetry? Probably not. But it serves it's purpose perfectly: Taking a sentence, and telling you what it says.

Now, Middle Eastern languages on the other hand... oh god... I've seen some nightmares come out of Google translate when working with Turkish...
    The assumption is that it was written 'properly', which odds are, it isn't. It's not just taking the direct translation that bothers me, because it's not that, but it's when it completely fails to translate directly at all.

My hardcore WoW fanboy friend who is in the closed beta told me that the game is and I quote "Fucking awesome" and that is coming from someone who bashes on every MMO game that isn't WoW.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2013-02-26 at 12:18 PM.

The assumption is that it was written 'properly', which odds are, it isn't. It's not just taking the direct translation that bothers me, because it's not that, but it's when it completely fails to translate directly at all.
    It also fails to translate words into the correct context if its a synonym.

It also fails to translate words into the correct context if its a synonym.
    In all fairness, I believe that would require sentience to perform accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    In all fairness, I believe that would require sentience to perform accurately.
    Even sentience doesn't necessarily help :P. Localization (as opposed to translation) is not easy, even for people bilingual in both languages.

I gotta admit, Square continues to impress me with their sheer tenacity regarding this title.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Even sentience doesn't necessarily help :P. Localization (as opposed to translation) is not easy, even for people bilingual in both languages.

I gotta admit, Square continues to impress me with their sheer tenacity regarding this title.
    agreed on all points. Though I do have to say that for the lack of emotion in it, the FFXI built in "translated" options worked quite well... until you have ass hat friends like I do that would do "please assist" "circle" "jerkin".....

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    The localization is great! We've only got bits and pieces but they have some really good translators and even better writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    agreed on all points. Though I do have to say that for the lack of emotion in it, the FFXI built in "translated" options worked quite well... until you have ass hat friends like I do that would do "please assist" "circle" "jerkin".....
    But what is funny with most of that is it doesn't translate into JP like it does into English. So it is mainly just annoying the English speakers.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > PoE.HC > Wushu v
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    that is, if they decide to port it or not, 360 version would be out before the "new generation" gets anything
    The 360 won't be getting FFXIV. Microsoft allowed SE to have players only require a silver membership for FFXI, but demand that for FFXIV players must have a gold account (so that MS can get in on the action). SE refuses to force players to have to pay twice to play a game, so it's not going to come to 360 (or 720 or whatever) as long as MS doesn't change its stance.

Quick question that may or may not be appropriate for this thread:
    I get a score of about 6500 running on a GTX 670, an i5 2500 and 8 GB system RAM. Would I get the best performance boost by upgrading to an i7?