1. #301
    Final! A video that shows combat and questing. The combat is faster! So excited right now!

  2. #302
    Stood in the Fire sinilaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    Heres some combat for you.

    Latest Video showing off quests and combat:
    should add this from the official forums:

    * The battles in this video involve low level enemies. Targeting and actions are demonstrated with the mouse instead of keyboard for greater clarity.

    * Level progression is primarily quest-based.

    * The battle system is currently undergoing significant revision, including changes to all damage algorithms and the claim system.




    And if you think its too easy... hes a level 15 killing level 8 mobs... Taking on two or more mobs of your own level is hard as hell(I know)

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I guess, but if they want to highlight those improvements to control/ui design ect. (I'm not sure what specific improvements you're talking about, I see some but none are really highlighted) why not make a video specifically focusing on them rather than scenery?
    I see your point now, it might have been a good idea to highlight any changes that were made between the versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    Heres some combat for you.

    Latest Video showing off quests and combat:
    Looks good so far.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    should add this from the official forums:

    * The battles in this video involve low level enemies. Targeting and actions are demonstrated with the mouse instead of keyboard for greater clarity.

    * Level progression is primarily quest-based.

    * The battle system is currently undergoing significant revision, including changes to all damage algorithms and the claim system.




    And if you think its too easy... hes a level 15 killing level 8 mobs... Taking on two or more mobs of your own level is hard as hell(I know)
    Video looked great. Though I liked the way quests were handled in FFXI- made them feel more "epic" as yo had to really figure out what needed to be done. However, it does sound like they going the route that FFXI took when it comes to leveling. Though not as severe as saying you NEED a group, but instead you WANT a group for faster progress.

  5. #305
    Questing/combat video looked pretty good. Not the most exciting combat ever, but they said it was low level so that's to be expected. Looks much more responsive and tighter now though, and some of the abilities look great.

    Big fan of the scrolling text from NPC's, makes it feel a lot more like a JRPG to me.

  6. #306
    Stood in the Fire Loyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    Video looked great. Though I liked the way quests were handled in FFXI- made them feel more "epic" as yo had to really figure out what needed to be done. However, it does sound like they going the route that FFXI took when it comes to leveling. Though not as severe as saying you NEED a group, but instead you WANT a group for faster progress.
    These are the type of quests that /people/ do not want anymore, I liked them though (also played eq1). /People/ want to have a huge circle where they can run to do what needs to be done, and then run back and click through the dialog and get their quest reward. I miss XI & EQ.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > AA > WoW...
    D3 & PoE:HC > Ongoing
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyrl View Post
    These are the type of quests that /people/ do not want anymore, I liked them though (also played eq1). /People/ want to have a huge circle where they can run to do what needs to be done, and then run back and click through the dialog and get their quest reward. I miss XI & EQ.
    For Side quests I'm totally fine with that, the main story line should still feel epic like it did in the past. I feel more and more that our society (gamer society not society... society) has gotten lazier when it comes to gaming, valuing the quick barely gratifying success instead of enjoying the long epic trip. There are many factors for it, but in reference to mmo-rpg. A lot of "blame" can be passed to WoW for many of its innovations or the innovations of the addon/mods that blizzard allowed players to make. Innovation is not a bad thing, do to its popularity the idea behind how abilities are preformed and their responsiveness has changed, as well as the allowance for custom UI layouts.

    However, that is all just steering the topic to a dark debate that will more or less end in flaming and insults.

  8. #308
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyrl View Post
    These are the type of quests that /people/ do not want anymore, I liked them though (also played eq1). /People/ want to have a huge circle where they can run to do what needs to be done, and then run back and click through the dialog and get their quest reward. I miss XI & EQ.
    I don't think it's so much a matter of people not wanting those quests, but more that, in games with that kind of quest, you have to grind the rest of your exp rather than quest for your exp. FFXI for example, yes it had magnificent questlines, but you had to grind your ass off for experience to actually level and access these quests.

  9. #309
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,423
    From my experience people hate side quests but love epic quest lines. Games need to make it so you actually get to whatever level cap there is by just doing epic quest lines.
    In FFXIV I would really like to see one story and one quest line that takes you around the world.

  10. #310
    Scarab Lord Buckwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    4,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    From my experience people hate side quests but love epic quest lines. Games need to make it so you actually get to whatever level cap there is by just doing epic quest lines.
    In FFXIV I would really like to see one story and one quest line that takes you around the world.
    At the end of FFXIV 1.0 there were larger story line quests that took you into certain dungeons, etc. From my understanding the only quests in the alpha right now are smaller side quests, class quests and leve quests.

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    From my experience people hate side quests but love epic quest lines. Games need to make it so you actually get to whatever level cap there is by just doing epic quest lines.
    In FFXIV I would really like to see one story and one quest line that takes you around the world.
    SWTOR kind of dabbled into this storyline based gameplay (though with a different, more Bioware-like approach than FFXI and FFXIV). The problem with this approach is that people get attracted to the game and sucked into the game based on the leveling, then quickly get burnt out on the repetitive endgame. IMO, the endgame needs to be introduced slowly alongside the leveling and the story. The endgame should be the pinnacle of the story. Kind of like how WoW raiding is. You do all these less-important quests that tie into the overarching story as you level (stopping the Lich King in every zone), then eventually you take the fight to his top guys (Kel'thuzad) and finally the Lich King himself.

  12. #312
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,423
    What I meant was that people dont seem to like "Kill 15 X" quests which only purpose is to give XP and have no impact on the general story of the game.

    Having people getting bored of repetetive endgame just because leveling was too story driven doesnt happen if your endgame isnt repetetive. SWTOR had really great leveling but it was still daily quest based on max level.

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    What I meant was that people dont seem to like "Kill 15 X" quests which only purpose is to give XP and have no impact on the general story of the game.

    Having people getting bored of repetetive endgame just because leveling was too story driven doesnt happen if your endgame isnt repetetive. SWTOR had really great leveling but it was still daily quest based on max level.
    I never made it to endgame in SWTOR, the grind killed me. But your right, I in ffxiv side quests should be more the "kill 15 x" thing that may play a role in that zone/region/area etc.

    @Virtua- Its been a while from when I first did the quests in ffxi, but it felt like the story of each expansion, the main quest lines, all lead into the endgame content. This is what I hope they do again.

  14. #314
    It's amazing. Developers that actually LISTEN to player feedback? They've definitely been listening based on what I've seen, that's for damn sure. Both Trion and SE are heading in the right direction imo

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    It's amazing. Developers that actually LISTEN to player feedback? They've definitely been listening based on what I've seen, that's for damn sure. Both Trion and SE are heading in the right direction imo
    YoshiP is the best thing to happen to Sqeenix in the past decade. No joke. He's absolutely fantastic.

  16. #316
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerx12 View Post
    Final! A video that shows combat and questing. The combat is faster! So excited right now!
    the combat is faster compared to what? pretty sure its not compared to any Current MMO, but considerably faster than FFXI and FFXIV v1, but still way too slow.


    what i noticed

    - GCD is 4 sec
    - all the caster spells have castbars, in that video of the caster theres was no instants
    - the player/Dev is a clicker, so we dont know if can move in combat or not, or cast while moving
    - it takes him an reasonable amount of time to kill mobs 6 level below him, (so by power of assumption killing stuff for your level is gonna take a good ammount of time, therefore making leveling seem like a grind after a while)
    - the ui frame for the quest system is so like RPG in my old PS1
    - the world looks gorgeous
    - mobs are really detailed
    - engine seems to handle well alot of info in the screen.
    - we can jump ^^
    - too much spell particles flying around
    - UI is way to obstructive, in certain parts of the movie.


    i would really like to get my hand on the beta like i did for the First FFXIV, to test it properly but i dont find any place to apply.


  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    the combat is faster compared to what? pretty sure its not compared to any Current MMO, but considerably faster than FFXI and FFXIV v1, but still way too slow.


    what i noticed

    - GCD is 4 sec
    - all the caster spells have castbars, in that video of the caster theres was no instants
    - the player/Dev is a clicker, so we dont know if can move in combat or not, or cast while moving
    - it takes him an reasonable amount of time to kill mobs 6 level below him, (so by power of assumption killing stuff for your level is gonna take a good ammount of time, therefore making leveling seem like a grind after a while)
    - the ui frame for the quest system is so like RPG in my old PS1
    - the world looks gorgeous
    - mobs are really detailed
    - engine seems to handle well alot of info in the screen.
    - we can jump ^^
    - too much spell particles flying around
    - UI is way to obstructive, in certain parts of the movie.


    i would really like to get my hand on the beta like i did for the First FFXIV, to test it properly but i dont find any place to apply.
    The game has to be playable with a controller. Delays = balance.

    Also, if it's anything like FFXI, getting those cast timers PERFECT can make all the difference in the world. It's part pre-emptive/predictive play and part team based.

    As to killing the mobs, the game has probably been re-designed around the FFXI style where, you can solo a lot of mobs, but yes, it will take a lot of time. However, XP'ing in a group = 200%+ faster levelling.

  18. #318
    Dreadlord flarecde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    As to killing the mobs, the game has probably been re-designed around the FFXI style where, you can solo a lot of mobs, but yes, it will take a lot of time. However, XP'ing in a group = 200%+ faster levelling.
    Hopefully they make getting a group quick and easy. I tried FFXI but as interested as I was, chat room online was not what I was looking for.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Hopefully they make getting a group quick and easy. I tried FFXI but as interested as I was, chat room online was not what I was looking for.
    Same for me here, but - are we able to play FFXVI right now? I mean, I dont find any downloadlinks or such... are the Servers still available? (Im not talking about 2.0)

  20. #320
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:ぺこ
    Posts
    7,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Talice View Post
    Same for me here, but - are we able to play FFXVI right now? I mean, I dont find any downloadlinks or such... are the Servers still available? (Im not talking about 2.0)
    Alpha only atm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •