Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Yeah, it clearly needs to go the route of DMC. Not. What they're trying to present is classic FF tropes, in the guise of a cross between FFXI and WoW. If you don't like "adventurous, band-of-heroes crap", Final Fantasy in general may not be for you. Just saying.
    I didn't say that I disliked adventurous, band-of-heroes crap, it was clearly in reference to how the original FFXIV trailer and the new trailer are so similar. Now is the time for it to publicly differentiate itself from the original release, and obviously does not do that. How is this going to persaude new people to buy the game, or people who disliked the original release to simply give it a shot again?

Just saying.

Also, what the hell does Devil May Cry have to do with my statement and ARR release trailer? They have a perfect platform to show ARR from, this is their opportunity to show Bahamut for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    I didn't say that I disliked adventurous, band-of-heroes crap, it was clearly in reference to how the original FFXIV trailer and the new trailer are so similar. Now is the time for it to publicly differentiate itself from the original release, and obviously does not do that. How is this going to persaude new people to buy the game, or people who disliked the original release to simply give it a shot again?

Just saying.

Also, what the hell does Devil May Cry have to do with my statement and ARR release trailer? They have a perfect platform to show ARR from, this is their opportunity to show Bahamut for example.
    Because DMC is trying to show a new version of Devil May Cry - it's trying to be gritty and appealing to the kids, forgoing all that came before. The comparison is apt.

The whole point of FFXIV 2.0 is that it will be what FFXIV should've been to begin with: More of a sequel to FFXI and less of a 'we refuse to acknowledge times have moved on'. Hell, they blew up the world and started over again in the new CGI trailer and all the gameplay trailers have been emphasising the changes to the core gameplay. For a majority of people the changes to core gameplay are what will sway the fan base.

Because DMC is trying to show a new version of Devil May Cry - it's trying to be gritty and appealing to the kids, forgoing all that came before. The comparison is apt.

The whole point of FFXIV 2.0 is that it will be what FFXIV should've been to begin with: More of a sequel to FFXI and less of a 'we refuse to acknowledge times have moved on'. Hell, they blew up the world and started over again in the new CGI trailer and all the gameplay trailers have been emphasising the changes to the core gameplay. For a majority of people the changes to core gameplay are what will sway the fan base.
    The comparison is not appropriate for the reason I stated, it's not about moving on or being different, it's about showing what is different, and doing it in an epic Final Fantasy manner. For example, what in the trailer do you think would tell people what the changes are and how it will sway them? For most people, they will see the video, think 'huh,' and move on. It's my honest opinion that if someone sees that video and is really thinking about how awesome it was and how they're exciting to play, that they are fanboys and would have probably liked anything that was shown (and excited for the changes to core gameplay all of us that are paying attention know about).

ps. You're preaching to the choir on the "point" of FFXIV:ARR, I know what it is, why they did it, and I'm well aware of how it happened in game.

The comparison is not appropriate for the reason I stated, it's not about moving on or being different, it's about showing what is different, and doing it in an epic Final Fantasy manner. For example, what in the trailer do you think would tell people what the changes are and how it will sway them? For most people, they will see the video, think 'huh,' and move on. It's my honest opinion that if someone sees that video and is really thinking about how awesome it was and how they're exciting to play, that they are fanboys and would have probably liked anything that was shown (and excited for the changes to core gameplay all of us that are paying attention know about).

ps. You're preaching to the choir on the "point" of FFXIV:ARR, I know what it is, why they did it, and I'm well aware of how it happened in game.
    That's kind of my point though - the story etc in FFXIV was fine and dandy, the graphics were good and so on. People just want reassuring that it's not going to play like crap, which can't really be done with an epic/flashy video. The Limit Break video is flashy enough, but it's hard to tell what it plays like just from watching Weapon Skills go off. That's why they instead switched to the slower moving videos, just showing someone using abilities and the party playing together. It's why the jumping chocobos are featured so prominently in the earlier trailers and so on and so forth. The fan base by and large just want to know the game works this time. A flashy trailer with things exploding and such holds little sway in that crowd.

Again I'll point to DMC as reference. Despite the new appearance of the character being touted so heavily and its slick visuals, very serious business appearance being at the fore-front of their media releases, they abruptly added that trailer that shows the new Dante getting dressed while a flying pizza barely covers his manhood. They simply realised people don't care if new style is slick and dark and stuff; they want to know it's still the Dante they know under there.

That's kind of my point though - the story etc in FFXIV was fine and dandy, the graphics were good and so on. People just want reassuring that it's not going to play like crap, which can't really be done with an epic/flashy video. The Limit Break video is flashy enough, but it's hard to tell what it plays like just from watching Weapon Skills go off. That's why they instead switched to the slower moving videos, just showing someone using abilities and the party playing together. It's why the jumping chocobos are featured so prominently in the earlier trailers and so on and so forth. The fan base by and large just want to know the game works this time. A flashy trailer with things exploding and such holds little sway in that crowd.

Again I'll point to DMC as reference. Despite the new appearance of the character being touted so heavily and its slick visuals, very serious business appearance being at the fore-front of their media releases, they abruptly added that trailer that shows the new Dante getting dressed while a flying pizza barely covers his manhood. They simply realised people don't care if new style is slick and dark and stuff; they want to know it's still the Dante they know under there.

The comparison made was between the release trailer for FFXIV and the release trailer for FFXIV:ARR. These are the official PR videos that people are more likely to see, like what's going to be played in the advertisement section of this website. As I said before, it's pretty much the same thing, queue chocobos. Wow, amazing stuff.

/enddiscussion

The comparison made was between the release trailer for FFXIV and the release trailer for FFXIV:ARR. These are the official PR videos that people are more likely to see, like what's going to be played in the advertisement section of this website. As I said before, it's pretty much the same thing, queue chocobos. Wow, amazing stuff.

/enddiscussion
    So you dislike chocobos. Got it.

The CGI trailer is not meant to showcase gameplay changes. It is spectacular eye candy to attract the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by rylangel View Post
    So you dislike chocobos. Got it.

The CGI trailer is not meant to showcase gameplay changes. It is spectacular eye candy to attract the target audience.
    This^ a CGI trailer cannot present the changes that have happened in the game, the changes that were wanted.

Im kinda interested in the Job system and how it will work.

" I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic. Any cunt could do it." - John Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Im kinda interested in the Job system and how it will work.
    Basicly you got Classes that is mainly used for soloing stuff. Jobs is for when getting into a party to raid etc.

Class: Job:
    Pugilist Monk
    Lancer Dragoon
    Marauder Warrior
    Gladiator Paladin
    Thaumaturge Blackmage
    Conjurer Whitemage
    Archer Bard

As a class at lvl 50, you can select up to 10 different spells and abilities from a different class. Some abilities are class specific though
    As a Job, you get 5 unique Job only abilities, and can only choose 5 other abilities from 2 specific classes

This class/job system alone is why I will never go play another MMO that utilizes the standard 1 Character = 1 Class like WoW/Rift etc
    I hate making alts. I love playing my main character and prefer spending time on leveling every single class instead of having to stop playing my favorite looking character to level another one from scratch xD

Here is a link to The Armory System on XIVs official site

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/about/game/armoury

Brewmaster
    That was how it was in 1.0. Dont know the changes for 2.0 yet.

Doubt any major changes will happen to how class/job system work in ARR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Doubt any major changes will happen to how class/job system work in ARR.
    I hope they do make some change to it. I can see the benefits of being able to just switch the weapon to change the job, but that means constantly having to use up bag space for job/class switching.

I have a question, how does weapon selection work? I know by switching weapons you, in a nut shell, switch classes. But will there be a nice selection of weapons to choose from instead of say...sword and shield for gladiator or paladin. Or a spear for lancer/dragoon. Will there be other weapons accessible to those classes like maces, whips, axes etc etc. Instead of just one type of weapon per class.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    I have a question, how does weapon selection work? I know by switching weapons you, in a nut shell, switch classes. But will there be a nice selection of weapons to choose from instead of say...sword and shield for gladiator or paladin. Or a spear for lancer/dragoon. Will there be other weapons accessible to those classes like maces, whips, axes etc etc. Instead of just one type of weapon per class.
    That is the bases of the armory system. You use a Spear, then you are a lancer/dragoon. Equip an ax your are a marauder/warrior (1 hand or 2hand).

I just wish it was more like FFXi where you could be a Dragoon/warrior or Paladin/White mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    I hope they do make some change to it. I can see the benefits of being able to just switch the weapon to change the job, but that means constantly having to use up bag space for job/class switching.
    when you equip your job's or class's gear, it stays in its own inventory--in other words, it dissapears from your bag into a "gear backpack" that is saved (much like WoW's equip manager) per class/job, with a maximum of three pre-set gear pallets.

example: you're a dragoon with equipment on. the items you have equipped are not represented in the inventory space, but within the character equipment screen, saved as a pre-set of equipment tab (up to 3 ATM), effectively making it a backpack for gear sets only.
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3be...ure=plpp_video

They have made it so when you equip gear on a class. it gets saved in the Character Screen and vanishes from your bags. So you need a set of gear for each job/class. After that is done, you can swap between the different classes in an instant and bags is used for other stuff ^^

They have made it so when you equip gear on a class. it gets saved in the Character Screen and vanishes from your bags. So you need a set of gear for each job/class. After that is done, you can swap between the different classes in an instant and bags is used for other stuff ^^
    Awesome. Used to hate rooting through my Mog House in FFXI as well as unclothing all of my mannequins to get the right gear together for a side job.

Why? do you speak the language.. I sure as hell dont, but want too!
    Sure, I can get by. But I have ways to go. I'd see it as a great learning opportunity. Already play a few other games in full Japanese, but if it's an mmo I'll get the chance to talk to native speakers too.
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

Eden Eternal had this feature. Nice to see it implemented here as well.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

I have always been a huge FF fan. I hope this game has some life and depth to it!