10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Well, if I wanted to play an arcade version of Hello Kitty then, I would, but I am more likely to play a more challenging and sophisticated game, no?
    Fortunately, there are games out there like Guild Wars 2 and Tera.

We will just have to deal with the fact that you and your impeccable taste will not be joining us in this very immature and unintelligent game.

Don't feed the obvious troll. Just report and move on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    Well I have tryed JP, NA, and EU servers, the latencey between all three with my connection is not noticeable at all. So really I would say it is just boils down to prefference of language spoken by the server majority.
    As far as I could test on the beta server I could hardly notice higher latency on the JP servers, despite them pinging higher outside of the game.
    Maybe it was slightly slower in some circumstances but hardly noticeable.
    Altough this doesn't necessarily mean situation will be identical even on live servers, does it?

I'm really torn apart about servers, also considering that the two datacenters will be completely separated and you won't be able to join in duty finder people from other datacenters.

On one hand I'm gonna miss not having JP players if I go for the Montreal datacenter.
    On the other hand being on a JP server would likely mean even TOO MANY jp players... I really don't know what to do, though I'm leaning for the Montreal one.
    Anybody in my same position? I assume most of the people couldn't care less about this stuff.
    Personally I really enjoyed my time with JP players in FFXI.
    Last edited by mmocf466cc5c1b; 2013-06-25 at 04:43 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akumasama View Post
    As far as I could test on the beta server I could hardly notice higher latency on the JP servers, despite them pinging higher outside of the game.
    Maybe it was slightly slower in some circumstances but hardly noticeable.
    Altough this doesn't necessarily mean situation will be identical even on live servers, does it?

I'm really torn apart about servers, also considering that the two datacenters will be completely separated and you won't be able to join in duty finder people from other datacenters.

On one hand I'm gonna miss not having JP players if I go for the Montreal datacenter.
    On the other hand being on a JP server would likely mean even TOO MANY jp players... I really don't know what to do, though I'm leaning for the Montreal one.
    Anybody in my same position? I assume most of the people couldn't care less about this stuff.
    Personally I really enjoyed my time with JP players in FFXI.
    I am and I am not, I liked haveing the JP players around in XI becuse the server never had a down time. If your american friends went offline and you where up late there was not much to worry about becuse the JP players where starting to log on.

It does suck as well that the duty finder wont cross connect the data centers but wow works the same way with their LFR/G tool where you are limited to a certain server pool IE your battle group.

But I am also concerned about being stuck with too many JP players as trying to communicate all the time through the translation phrases can be tiresome. It is to that end that I decided to settle in on gilgamesh, it already has a large community of NA&EU players from what I experienced in beta with alot of them planning on returning for open beta and live. I also met a few JP players who spoke decent enough english that are going to return as well.

~RP info~
    To go along with this, there are lots of funny emotes (~40+?) your character can do. As well, if you're looking at a floating moogle, your head follows it up and down, knowing its body location and movement instead of just staring at it in one spot - which I thought was really cool and close attention to detail (the delivery moogles are really cute). There are also elements like...you don't see/know what non-named (or some named) NPCs are saying until you get close, whereas dialogue boxes appear with what they're saying, which is usually funny or relevant to what you'd think they'd do.

I think the game can be set up for cool RP. I don't do so, but from what I've seen it seems possible. Especially with incoming additions like player housing and customization among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow-Tiger View Post
    That's basically it, you have the option of going to a different hometown and doing the low level quests there if you wish, and if you haven't done them yet - but that also means if you decide to pick one of those hometown classes then those classes are stuck grinding leves/hunting log/FATES etc.

Personally I like to do the main city quests with one of the classes they belong to. For example if I went CNJ>Archer I'd just use logs/leves/FATES for the archer. It's nice to be able to pick a class in a main city you haven't completed yet, and have all the quests and a hunting log getting completed at the same time. If you take an archer to a different main city than its own, you won't be completing your hunting log since the monsters for your log are only in your city. This basically means you can have 3 classes that level up way faster than the others due to completing the log and quests simultaneously.

That's just my preference though, everyone has their own way of doing things. In short, if you haven't done quests for a different city, you can go do those and bypass your hunting log if you're a questing type of person.. otherwise it's just dungeons/FATES/hunting log/leves/mobs!
    Ahh okay thanks. I guess it might be boring for folks who want to play Bards and Black mages, since the two classes needed for this are in the same area. I guess this makes it so I won't want to level all classes on one toon. I might want to play dragoon and summoner. I wonder if an arcanist can be both a summoner and scholar or they have to choose at that quest.

And after reading some articles online, this video makes me happy. It has some voices in it. It seems that voices simply aren't in the game yet, which makes sense since it's beta and all. I know they just announced in April Thancred's japanese seiyuu.

BTW, that is NOT how you pronounce Ifrit in my world lol

Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    Ahh okay thanks. I guess it might be boring for folks who want to play Bards and Black mages, since the two classes needed for this are in the same area. I guess this makes it so I won't want to level all classes on one toon. I might want to play dragoon and summoner. I wonder if an arcanist can be both a summoner and scholar or they have to choose at that quest.

And after reading some articles online, this video makes me happy. It has some voices in it. It seems that voices simply aren't in the game yet, which makes sense since it's beta and all. I know they just announced in April Thancred's japanese seiyuu.]

BTW, that is NOT how you pronounce Ifrit in my world lol
    If-rit. WTF is eeee-freeeet? xD

Yeah, voices are being added later, supposedly in P4 or release. I skipped all the dialogue and cutscenes to save it all for release, so I don't miss anything. Take my time. The Ifrit fight was pretty cool though...if that's any indication of future fights, things will be challenging. The funniest part about that fight is the classic "Don't stand in fire" reigns so true :P.

Leveling as said won't be too hard. Seems there's plenty to do to level...guildhests and leves will probably be a major source, as long as you have enough allowances (not sure why there are limits to them...oh well). Encourages alts, maybe, which is good, so you don't max every class/job (at first) on one character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I return with a couple more questions concerning this game.

1) In what ways does FFXIV accommodate roleplay, if at all? Are their Roleplay-assigned servers as in WoW, or does the game by default accommodate Roleplay on any server? Are their areas that have no purpose beyond aesthetic beauty and thus allowing RP potential, and is there an interactive environment such as the chairs we have in WoW, and maybe more?

2) I've noticed that we're able to give our characters both a surname and a forename. Are names "saved" as in WoW, or is it possible to have the same name as someone else; either entirely or with a different surname/forename, depending on whether it's the surname/forename you want? I ask because I certainly wouldn't mind having a character in tribute to my favourite FF character; which isn't a difficult one to guess thanks to my avatar.
    The thing about the community in the FF world is that you have to be involved with the community to learn about the community. Since there's no "PVE/PVP/RP" designations, groups like CRP get together on their roleplaying forums and choose a server that will become the unoffiicial RP server, then it's known throughout the community that (in this case Balmung/Behemoth) is that server. Just sort of spreads through word of mouth. I don't think they'd want it any other way. They're kinda mysterious like that.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    What is If-rit? It's generally pronounced as e-freet or ae-freet or at least i-freet. Look it up (Ifrit's didn't start with FF they're an ancient class of Jinn.)

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, voices are being added later, supposedly in P4 or release. I skipped all the dialogue and cutscenes to save it all for release, so I don't miss anything. Take my time. The Ifrit fight was pretty cool though...if that's any indication of future fights, things will be challenging. The funniest part about that fight is the classic "Don't stand in fire" reigns so true :P.

Leveling as said won't be too hard. Seems there's plenty to do to level...guildhests and leves will probably be a major source, as long as you have enough allowances (not sure why there are limits to them...oh well). Encourages alts, maybe, which is good, so you don't max every class/job (at first) on one character.
    The EEFREET (<3) battle was actually just a toned down version of what it was in 1.0. Raiding is going to be pretty intense. At first I'm willing to bet that it'll be things we've all seen before (Adds spawning, dps checks, dont stand in stuff, tank switching etc etc) but they've got some great minds on their staff and I know they plan to use them.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    To go along with this, there are lots of funny emotes (~40+?) your character can do. As well, if you're looking at a floating moogle, your head follows it up and down, knowing its body location and movement instead of just staring at it in one spot - which I thought was really cool and close attention to detail (the delivery moogles are really cute). There are also elements like...you don't see/know what non-named (or some named) NPCs are saying until you get close, whereas dialogue boxes appear with what they're saying, which is usually funny or relevant to what you'd think they'd do.

I think the game can be set up for cool RP. I don't do so, but from what I've seen it seems possible. Especially with incoming additions like player housing and customization among other things.
    this is quite true, when you target something, your chracters head will move to follow the target in all manner of directions. To add to this Id also like to point out the clever use of emotes in some quests to motivate/interact with NPCs such as useing /welcome to greet 5 potential members to the tailors guild in Uldah. There are several more you will encounter but I dont wanna ruin the fun for people when you find them =)

All I know is I am going to play a scholar so I can be Harry Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    The EEFREET (<3) battle was actually just a toned down version of what it was in 1.0. Raiding is going to be pretty intense. At first I'm willing to bet that it'll be things we've all seen before (Adds spawning, dps checks, dont stand in stuff, tank switching etc etc) but they've got some great minds on their staff and I know they plan to use them.
    Looking forward to it then. All while riding my Coeurl. Use Blaster, damnit! Why can't you be like a Choco companion!?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    What is If-rit? It's generally pronounced as e-freet or ae-freet or at least i-freet. Look it up (Ifrit's didn't start with FF they're an ancient class of Jinn.)
    I don't need to look it up. I know this. But I've always pronounced it as I wanted, alluding to what sergel02 said about how it's pronounced in "their world".

It is to that end that I decided to settle in on gilgamesh, it already has a large community of NA&EU players from what I experienced in beta with alot of them planning on returning for open beta and live. I also met a few JP players who spoke decent enough english that are going to return as well.
    Same here!

I am able to hold conversations in Japanese fairly well, but the community on Gilgamesh made me settle with that choice. There's been quite a few times where people have come together to talk about joining the server again once live is released. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with almost all the people I have come across on Gilgamesh so far, it was quite refreshing actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow-Tiger View Post
    Same here!

I am able to hold conversations in Japanese fairly well, but the community on Gilgamesh made me settle with that choice. There's been quite a few times where people have come together to talk about joining the server again once live is released. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with almost all the people I have come across on Gilgamesh so far, it was quite refreshing actually.
    I know right? In two days on gilgamesh I talked with and socialized with more people than I have in the bast 4 months or so in wow. Ran some dungeons and everyone talked, about several things not just the game. Same with /shout chat in an area. People gave advice freely without snarkey comments and just in general where polite people.

If you where struggeling, random healers stopped by to heal you and other DPS joined in to aid when they could.

Deleted
    Is Gilgamesh a new server or a Legacy server? I suppose a new one because it's not in my list of legacy servers.
    I might consider goin there then, I suppose.

Deleted
    What I really want to know is if I can have the option of japanese dub with english/german sub...

You know, in germany we often have this discussion about 'You only play the english version because you think it sounds cooler'
    While that is often the case for me, the main reason I watch/play things in their original language is because you get much closer to the original intent of the creators.
    The Metro games for example are a completely different level of immersion if you play them in russian or other languages.
    Last edited by mmoc5babf89286; 2013-06-25 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corros View Post
    What I really want to know is if I can have the option of japanese dub with english/german sub...

You know, in germany we often have this discussion about 'You only play the english version because you think it sounds cooler'
    While that is often the case for me, the main reason I watch/play things in their original language is because you get much closer to the original intent of the creators.
    The Metro games for example are a completely different level of immersion if you play them in russian or other languages.
    That's actually a good question, didn't even think about that. Dubbed anime is a lot different than subbed anime, though the subs have to be well done. Most people seem to appreciate the subs more. I hope they include a subbed version of the cutscenes in the original Japanese. I'll check the Beta Forums to see if that's brought up.

-Edit- I saw a post or two about it, but not mentioned within beta updates. Voice acting isn't currently in, and I can't recall any settings from the main menus.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2013-06-25 at 07:44 PM.

Deleted
    Don't think you'll be able to, but it should be easy enough to overwrite English Dats with JP dats

Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    i got a question too.

how is the gameplay? is their a gear treadmill like wow? is there more stuff to do then just raiding like in the most games?
    I'd like to reiterate same question. I am huge fan of FF, and played every game except XI and XIII. I am considering to try FF XIV, but not if it will be another WoW-clone in disguise with raid-centered endgame.