How is it, that in 2018 ffxiv still has 24 hour maintenance? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    It is. Similar to combat classes, you work hard for getting the best gear, only for them to release new bosses with slightly different mechanics so you can farm gear again.

Ultimately, both combat and crafting are mindless, reward driven hamster wheels that eat a crapton of your RL time if you want to be at the top.
    The other big thing about crafting would be the housing items but you don't need elite gear for that b/c HQing them is not an issue.
    AKA: "Glamour is the true endgame: Crafting Edition"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    How is it, that in 2018 ffxiv still has 24 hour maintenance? Lol
    Only on patch days. I thought WoW's patch day maintenance was still extended as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    AKA: "Glamour is the true endgame: Crafting Edition"

- - - Updated - - -

Only on patch days. I thought WoW's patch day maintenance was still extended as well.
    Not often, there was a flub of a day that took like 9 hrs, but most patches lately are done in 3-5, I suppose it's because they don't seem to do weekly maintenance or even restarts

Good to know.

With BfA approaching, I have to start looking at FFXIV's patch schedule and decide where I'll fit in a one month pre-expansion romp in Azeroth. I basically play a couple months per expansion for WoW now - one month's time about 3 months after release and a month before the next expansion. Lets me get through the story stuff for each expansion fairly reliably.

Has anyone been able to patch yet?

Good to know.

With BfA approaching, I have to start looking at FFXIV's patch schedule and decide where I'll fit in a one month pre-expansion romp in Azeroth. I basically play a couple months per expansion for WoW now - one month's time about 3 months after release and a month before the next expansion. Lets me get through the story stuff for each expansion fairly reliably.
    Well 4.4 should drop just after BFA in theory.

I'm kind of on the fence about BFA personally with these GCD changes but I'll give it a try.

Only like to have 2 MMOs at once and recently I've kind of been getting into ESO on PS4.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Claws View Post
    Has anyone been able to patch yet?
    Patch usually isn't available to download until like half way thru maintenance, so it'll likely be sometime tonight wne you can download it.

Mostly visual overload, considering that I watch the raidframe a lot in order to determine the appropriate course of action. It gets less intense once I know all the predictable damage but being able to save failing members needs a lot of attention.

Esp silent mechanics like the orbs around kafka and the blue mark in O7s are troublesome.
    The orbs around Kefka should be really easy. It has an audio cue and a very if/then statement type of resolution. There's no real healing that needs to be done during it either. You might have a tank AA or two at most.

I'm no healer expert, but I talked to both my static healers and they both said that you shouldn't be focusing on the raidframe very much. That could be an area for improvement.

Regarding the O7S Blue mark it helps to rationalize how it occurs. One, don't stack up on top of everyone. Really ever, unless you have to. Always be a little spread out. Once you see the add, know that the mark will always be coming. It's easy to prepare for and manage (even if 2 people get caught).

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    It's disappointing but not at all surprising. Square has shown time and time again that they love just doing the same thing over and over and rarely take risks. It's a common problem in general with Japanese businesses.
    Yeah I get it, I just don't like it

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to know.

Well I have done everything in legion that would interest me, still on the fence about BfA though b/c token are out of the question with these prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'm no healer expert, but I talked to both my static healers and they both said that you shouldn't be focusing on the raidframe very much. That could be an area for improvement.

Regarding the O7S Blue mark it helps to rationalize how it occurs.
    I don't see how anyone can heal w/o the raidframe. Floating nametags? Eeh not with FF-XIVs ridiculously close camera.
    Maybe I am WoW damaged but I always played more according to UI and less by looking into the actual world.

Pretty much what I ended up doing. Add spawn -> Boss casts laser -> during laser animation mark gets set. Only the first one is relevant for me, because it targets only healers. Second one is always a DPS so I heal the person that gets the debuff.

Well I have done everything in legion that would interest me, still on the fence about BfA though b/c token are out of the question with these prices.
    Yeah, my two months (I did two already actually) got me past the Nightborn story and raid, but just started on the final one and the whole raid wasn't out yet. I've not seen any of that stuff, so there's a little for me to do still.

I agree, though, I'll just pay $15 for a month rather than the now-ludicrous token prices.

I haven't seen much chatter on the glamour dresser updates. It seems like most of the concerns are addressed in this patch. Able to remove items from the dresser, etc.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2018-05-21 at 04:06 PM.

My main issue with the dresser is mostly that they still left it at 200 items. Hopefully they get to increasing the size by the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Well 4.4 should drop just after BFA in theory.

I'm kind of on the fence about BFA personally with these GCD changes but I'll give it a try.

Only like to have 2 MMOs at once and recently I've kind of been getting into ESO on PS4.
    i picked it up just for the questing which interests me, i tried drustvar in the beta and its basically New Tristram meets Fable with the witcher sprinkled on top and was like 'okay this is duskwood on steroids, im sold' but i doubt im going to be playing the gear treadmill game. I'll probably play through the story, level a kul tiran druid then back to XIV.

The faction war is what I loathe most about WoW, so I'm not going to bother checking out BFA. Plus some of the allied races they've added/plan to add also further erode the established charm and uniqueness of the existing playable races. There's going to be plenty of single player games to tackle around that time, anyway - Dragon Quest XI, for instance. I'm sure a lot of stuff will be announced at E3 next month as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same here but I do expect some old God entanglement and the Faction war being a forefront. Question is: will that front fall in BfA or the next addon with GfA being some meaningless filler stuff as far as story is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The faction war is what I loathe most about WoW, so I'm not going to bother checking out BFA. Plus some of the allied races they've added/plan to add also further erode the established charm and uniqueness of the existing playable races. There's going to be plenty of single player games to tackle around that time, anyway - Dragon Quest XI, for instance. I'm sure a lot of stuff will be announced at E3 next month as well.
    Same here but I do expect some old God entanglement and the Faction war being a forefront. Question is: will that front fall in BfA or the next addon with GfA being some meaningless filler stuff as far as story is concerned.
    & @Faroth

I did see one of the dev watercoolers where they specifically stated and I quote "The faction conflict will make sense. We promise".

Whether they deliver on that promise is up in the air, but they heard feedback loud and clear and responded. I'll be curious how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    i picked it up just for the questing which interests me, i tried drustvar in the beta and its basically New Tristram meets Fable with the witcher sprinkled on top and was like 'okay this is duskwood on steroids, im sold' but i doubt im going to be playing the gear treadmill game. I'll probably play through the story, level a kul tiran druid then back to XIV.
    You'll be waiting a while for that Kul Tiran as they and Zandalari are being patched in later. I almost wouldn't expect them till next year as even the Mag'har and Dark Iron are gated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    & @Faroth

I did see one of the dev watercoolers where they specifically stated and I quote "The faction conflict will make sense. We promise".

Whether they deliver on that promise is up in the air, but they heard feedback loud and clear and responded. I'll be curious how it plays out.
    Second verse same as the first, it sounds like the exact same thing they said in MoP despite spectacularly failing at that again and again.

Their promised "fist pump" moment for Alliance that was never seen nor felt in game and was immediately undercut by the very fist pump's quest conclusion being "You f'ing moron, you've screwed everything up" along with the satisfying conclusion being "you control a robot cat under command of a random spy" followed by "well, you waged war on everyone and did awful things until it was turned against you so *wags finger* don't do it again, okay?"

And the aftermath? The Alliance is the sole super power left in Azeroth for all of a hiccup before the Horde is entirely and fully equal in all forms of power (and one expansion later will be arguably more powerful having ownership of every font of power on the planet).

Legion was good, but it's not been nearly enough for me to fully trust their storytelling in a scenario where there must be a winner for a satisfying resolution in a design that asbolutely cannot ever have a winner to resolve said conflict.

Mostly visual overload, considering that I watch the raidframe a lot in order to determine the appropriate course of action. It gets less intense once I know all the predictable damage but being able to save failing members needs a lot of attention.
    Personally, I've always found it easier to look at my surroundings to see people in the process of failing, then precasting heals for them. Or ressing them, as appropriate. So long as you're fixated on the raid frames you're always going to be playing catch up, but if you're looking at what others are doing then you're able to be proactive rather than reactive.

You should be watching what's going on around you anyway, it only takes a little more effort to watch what others are doing too. The GCD in FF14 makes it very easy to admire your surroundings without danger of screwing up, staring at the raid frames until your eyes bleed simply isn't a requirement as a healer the way it is in other MMOs.

It's patch day!

No regrets.