10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the opinions, which is quite a bit.
    This avenue of thought really needs to die. You wouldnt believe how many people think that a bad launch is okay because "wow's launch was bad too!" or a bad system is okay because "vanilla wow's systems were even worse!". I've heard it a million times and its proven wrong again and again. Games should be releasing with at LEAST as much polish as WoW has currently, because they have examples to work from, advances in technology, and a better base of code to work from. WoW is extremely limited because the code is so old they actually have technical difficulties making some changes. New games should not have these problems.
    Polish takes time.
    Want to know the best way to find bugs? And this is very very true in every single software. Release it to the public. Nothing beats thousands of users using the product to find the bugs that you overlook.
    Some bugs are caused by time, some bugs are caused by very small but repeatable instances. Some are hardware or software conflicts.

There is no examples to work from is the thing.
    WoW's source code isn't open source. You can't get examples of code that are closed. You can get a general idea of how something works, and may or may not be close to it, but you won't be able to know how it all works.

There is no such thing as 'better base of code'. There's engine, which better is debatable on the usage. Some engines just aren't fit to run certain types of games. Some engines are great for certain things. This however doesn't make any of em better. (Presuming that they're not full of bugs that is).

Programming isn't as simple as A + B = C. There are so many variables to take into account. You can make a program unoptimized but works, but issue obvious is it's unoptimized. However once you go into the land of optimization. It gets a hell of a lot more hectic. These things actually take time.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Aside from the opinions, which is quite a bit.

Polish takes time.
    Want to know the best way to find bugs? And this is very very true in every single software. Release it to the public. Nothing beats thousands of users using the product to find the bugs that you overlook.
    Some bugs are caused by time, some bugs are caused by very small but repeatable instances. Some are hardware or software conflicts.
    I meant polish as in having a functionally finished game, not having no bugs, though being mostly bug-free is definitely important. Obviously some problems arent going to be visible until release, but usually the bigger problems are ones which are illuminated in beta and ignored.

There is no examples to work from is the thing.
    WoW's source code isn't open source. You can't get examples of code that are closed. You can get a general idea of how something works, and may or may not be close to it, but you won't be able to know how it all works.

There is no such thing as 'better base of code'. There's engine, which better is debatable on the usage. Some engines just aren't fit to run certain types of games. Some engines are great for certain things. This however doesn't make any of em better. (Presuming that they're not full of bugs that is).

Programming isn't as simple as A + B = C. There are so many variables to take into account. You can make a program unoptimized but works, but issue obvious is it's unoptimized. However once you go into the land of optimization. It gets a hell of a lot more hectic. These things actually take time.
    I was referring, by examples, to the systems, not necessarily the code by which they are implemented. For example, the first implementation of a dungeon finder probably took a lot of thought and experimentation, and significant efforts in code to implement in a game that was not at all designed to support it.

When I say a better base of code, I am sort of referring to the engine, though not entirely. As you say, there is no "better" or "worse" engine, in the context of game engines. However, there is an objective good and bad in the context of what the average MMO player likes, which is the perspective from which I am making just about all of my arguments.

Anyway, you're not wrong at all in what you said.. it does take time. Unfortunately, that is what development, alpha, and beta are for. Games cannot release unfinished like they once could.

It takes the same amount of time to implement a system to a game that is designed with the system in mind as it does to implement it in one that wasnt. There is just no way that you can release an MMORPG with the same amount of code as WoW does, development would take too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    GCD is 1.2 seconds (roughly). Lancer and Archer actions are instant casts, you can see that in the video. Cool downs for Casters are about .5 seconds longer than it takes to cast.

A Lancer uses Piercing Talons he can reuse it in 1.2 seconds.
    A Conjurer casts Protect, while he is channeling the spell (takes 4 seconds to cast) ALL spells show a "cool down" because you can't use another spell while casting a spell. Just like in EVERY OTHER MMO. So, again, GCD is not 4 seconds.
    i dunno what video you are watching but all the gameplay videos have a 4 sec gcd on the abilities, except abilities with long CD, like on this last video lancer skill 9 and 0 and ranger skill 6 and 7.

archer at around 35sec into the video uses skill 3 and all skill from 1 to 4 enter a gcd of 4 sec

caster at around 45sec uses skill 1 and all skill upto 6 enter a GCD of 4 sec

Lancer at 1m19s uses skill 1 and all skill upto 6 enter a gcd of 4 sec.

This is independent of casting times, observed in other videos. a person above sugested the GCD is based on the weapon speed, now that is something that needs to be shown first in the videos to get a proper discussion, cause its just speculation at this point.

GCD is not Cooldown of an ability, thats a total different thing and abilities with long cooldown dont affect GCD from what i've seem in the video

Square Enix just released a new trailer. A followup to the End of an Era trailer. This one is called A New Beginning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542Y...ature=youtu.be

Also they are now open for applications for Beta ^^

https://secure.square-enix.com/enqt/...9c642e21068ea7

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Square Enix just released a new trailer. A followup to the End of an Era trailer. This one is called A New Beginning

You got to hand it to them. Their artwork is amazing both in their games and in cutscenes.

dat battle axe berserker.... also beta aplication link seems to not be working
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post

Did you guys SEE that TRAILER?

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tnpm View Post
    also beta aplication link seems to not be working
    I know! Totally sucks, looks like I'll be spamming F5 for the next few days unless they can fix it sooner than that.

After FFXIV's beta situation, I hope they'll consider some of the feedback we give and host a beta that lasts longer than a couple of weeks.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    For the 'new' part, go to 5:35

For the 'new' part, go to 5:35
    Why would you wana skip a good portion of a good trailer? Thats liking buying the Dvd set of something with added scenes... and only going and watching the new scenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    Why would you wana skip a good portion of a good trailer? Thats liking buying the Dvd set of something with added scenes... and only going and watching the new scenes.
    Cause it's the portion from the earlier trailer? I didn't skip it, but those who just want to see it can.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post

I know! Totally sucks, looks like I'll be spamming F5 for the next few days unless they can fix it sooner than that.

After FFXIV's beta situation, I hope they'll consider some of the feedback we give and host a beta that lasts longer than a couple of weeks.
    it seems there are several links for the beta reg depending on the zone. i think their facebook page has the ones we want
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beta App link

The Beta Tester Application Site has officially opened!

EU: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/eu/
    NA: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/na

10+ Year Old Account
    Beta App link
    Thank you!
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

They will. Phase 1 will last about 2-4 weeks, Phase 2 is around 3weeks, Phase 3 about 2weeks and Phase 4/Open Beta another 2-4 weeks. And Yoshida has said he will not launch the game unless he thinks it is ready, so if there are any bugs or other snags, he will postpone it. SE learned their lesson the first time they launched XIV before it was properly ready. And Yoshida is a vivid MMO player himself.

Will be very fun to see what he manages to pull off. So far everything he has done after he took over after Tanaka was taken off the helm, has been great ^^ So I am looking forward to ARR with pure excitement ^^

Just finishes my application. I would suggest you also take the survey.. You may get a higher chance of being invited.

So far, I must agree that I'd prefer a shorter GCD on the abilities, everything else looks a lot better than the previous FFXIV release.

10+ Year Old Account

Right? Just about made me want to throw some money down to get a FF11 character back in action. But Ill settle for beta app and Eve for now hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    So far, I must agree that I'd prefer a shorter GCD on the abilities, everything else looks a lot better than the previous FFXIV release.
    It has been stated several times that the GCD will decrease as you level up. Max level in the Alpha was 20 out of 50max. And keep in mind there will be Combo Attacks. Use one attack, and it triggers the next to cost no TP and can be used right after the first strike etc. And also LIMIT BREAKS partywide

10+ Year Old Account
    Beta App link
    Much appreciated.

High expectations ahead.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin