Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    It doesnt take that long (5 years) if you already have the engine and the tools to work with. They pooled a lot of staff to this project and it has been down for more than half a year with probably 60 hour weeks. It looks great so far and I am really impressed by some of their systems and I am sure the game will be very well made when it comes out.

exepct they made a new engine for this game and started from scratch literally and gave us this product in a little over 2 years so it is phenomenal

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I was wondering if it annoyed people if you called the 14 races by the 11 names...
    noone will get pissed some will have no idea what your talking about but they are not the same race there are physiological difference between 11 and 14 races

for examples mithras are covered in fur miquotes are not tarus have a button nose lalafells have a normal nose

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 06:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Is there a decent fansite for FF14 that I could peruse?
    xivpads is the best site to go to by far, mooglebox was great for info on crafting and so was disciple of the land
    Last edited by Bigitybones; 2013-06-13 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    exepct they made a new engine for this game and started from scratch literally and gave us this product in a little over 2 years so it is phenomenal
    Maybe not 100% from scratch but phenomenal nonetheless. I'm sure they recycled a ton of models/textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Materia View Post
    Finally, a video of the elusive trio: Arcanist, Summoner and Scholar.

Scholar confirmed to be AOE/HoT oriented healer.
    WoW the book casting animations are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Maybe not 100% from scratch but phenomenal nonetheless. I'm sure they recycled a ton of models/textures.
    well i meant more from the ground up of course some models were reused hehe

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    WoW the book casting animations are top notch.
    I have to agree, all the spells look beautiful and very FF-ish

Can't wait to get stuck in on my new pc, I played 1.0 on a crappy old pc that barely scraped minimum specs, and even on that the game looked so pretty

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post

Can't wait to get stuck in on my new pc, I played 1.0 on a crappy old pc that barely scraped minimum specs, and even on that the game looked so pretty
    I bought a GTX 480 so I could play 1.0 and now I have a GTX 680. Can't wait to see how the game runs now.

Oh, I also bought the CE at launch.

I am putting together a new PC in a few months and I can't wait to try it out on a game like this.

That doesn't mean much, 1.0 was a rabid beast to run at all, I had to have it on super crappy settings that made the game look terrible, and the game still managed to crash every 20 minutes or so. My system was only alright, enough to play WoW at max settings, and games like borderlands at medium. In beta though I have been able to have it quite high and smooth, even on a medium rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    That doesn't mean much, 1.0 was a rabid beast to run at all, I had to have it on super crappy settings that made the game look terrible, and the game still managed to crash every 20 minutes or so. My system was only alright, enough to play WoW at max settings, and games like borderlands at medium. In beta though I have been able to have it quite high and smooth, even on a medium rig.
    The game runs super well now. I have a very mid-range rig and had no problems running the game on medium/high settings in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravijn View Post
    I bought a GTX 480 so I could play 1.0 and now I have a GTX 680. Can't wait to see how the game runs now.

Oh, I also bought the CE at launch.
    My guild called me "Laggytot" (Jellytot) at release because I could hardly break 5 fps XD

I got the old CE too, and just bought a moogle plushy after seeing those pictures of Yoshi with his (I'm a sucker for cuteness)

Quote Originally Posted by Materia View Post
    Finally, a video of the elusive trio: Arcanist, Summoner and Scholar.

Scholar confirmed to be AOE/HoT oriented healer.
    I'm loving that writing animation on the book ,really Scholar heal with Aoe/hot?,I must of miss that part with all the youtube lag.

10+ Year Old Account

Not sure if this was posted, but it explores the FATE system!

Do you need to switch to a job at a certain point? Or can you stay a class forever and still be viable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you need to switch to a job at a certain point? Or can you stay a class forever and still be viable?
    You never have to switch classes if you don't want to. But, if you want to eventually get an advanced job (Paladin, Dragoon, ETC) you'll have to level at least 1 other class. And as YoshiP said, classes are better for solo play and jobs are meant for groups.

It depends, in 1.0 if you were geared right, Thm could out dps black mage, but black mage was better at aoe. In class mode you can borrow a set amount of skills from any of the other classes in the game, but when you put your job on, it limits that in half from a set of 2, for instance bard can all use a couple skills from Conjurer and Thm. The general rule was "class for soloing, job for parties".
    Not really sure why you'd want to go jobless, since the jobs are way cooler then the classes imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    It depends, in 1.0 if you were geared right, Thm could out dps black mage, but black mage was better at aoe. In class mode you can borrow a set amount of skills from any of the other classes in the game, but when you put your job on, it limits that in half from a set of 2, for instance bard can all use a couple skills from Conjurer and Thm. The general rule was "class for soloing, job for parties".
    Not really sure why you'd want to go jobless, since the jobs are way cooler then the classes imo.
    I'm just trying to understand the point of classes and jobs. I guess if you can switch between the 2 freely that's ok I guess, but the whole thing seems redundant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Not sure if this was posted, but it explores the FATE system!
    Shit that video had me in tears around the ~5 minute mark when he started fighting that drunk.

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 06:58 PM ----------

I'm just trying to understand the point of classes and jobs. I guess if you can switch between the 2 freely that's ok I guess, but the whole thing seems redundant to me.
    Classes are the base class, more generalized and good for leveling. Jobs are a specialization of a class targeting specific roles (as mentioned, generally for groups); because they're more specialized, they don't necessarily have the abilities to do as well in straight leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    They weren't really going for traditional MMO versatility, but rather trying to appeal to FFXI/XIV1.0 players. Jobs have to be unlocked by leveling other classes as you probably already know, so you'll have to play other shit at some point.

Also, most end game guilds will want you to have a few jobs (if not all of them) capped out to raid seriously. Since you play everything on one character, you'll have your main class, so even if they ask you to bring Bard tonight, if Warrior is your main class, you can still roll on that Axe that dropped, etc.

Jobs have abilities that Classes don't have access to and classes have access to all other classes abilities (within action point limit) so classes are preferred for soloing and jobs are (normally) what you'd bring to a raid boss.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    Classes are the base class, more generalized and good for leveling. Jobs are a specialization of a class targeting specific roles (as mentioned, generally for groups); because they're more specialized, they don't necessarily have the abilities to do as well in straight leveling.
    Also, they've changed the dynamic between classes and jobs in 2.0. In 1.0 some very well geared LS' would bring Gladiators in as tank over a Paladin, also a very well geared Marauder could out tank a Paladin. They've adjusted it so classes will not be viable in end game content. We shall see.

Edit: Yes, I know. I will use 2.0 and ARR interchangeably and I don't even care.

Just a small warning for any of those downloading the Beta on the PS3 (mods feel free to delete this if you still can't talk about if you're in the beta or not).

It's fairly easy to download and link your Playstation account to your SE one, but when you're downloading the beta you can't quit out from it. That's to say, you can cancel downloading and return to the login screen, but pressing the Playstation button or O you can't actually quit out from the "game". I had to turn the power off by the machine, which I hate doing as it can cause data corruption.

If anyone is thinking of playing the PS3 version, just make sure you've got enough time set by to watch it all the way through (It's 3am here and i need to be up for 9 >_<), else you run the risk of messing with your console.