Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account

Why do people believe DR timers will fix PvP?

I see this mentioned a lot in your typical laundry list of "why PvP sucks" type things. People complain that Purify rightfully doesn't do what it says it does - this is because for some insane reason, it isn't set to "first priority" on the spell batching list (and because XIV is a game that for some incredibly stupid reason still uses spell batching in 2022.) We know that it *can* work properly, because DR buffs in the previous system happened instantaneously upon an effect ending.

But then people also insist that Purify/Resilience should function even if it doesn't purge any effects - that you should be able to use it proactively. But this doesn't make sense, because that's why you have Guard. Purify is something you use to break an effect and then gain some immunity afterwards, while Guard is what you use proactively to *prevent* an effect (as well as damage.)

Then they'll also suggest that there *also* be DR timers added into everything else, at which point... CC would be effectively meaningless, which means every game would be a slugging match rather than have any kind of real skill involved. Especially since XIV doesn't have the tickrate to allow for actual, reactive play like WoW does (nor does it have spell interrupts, etc.)

People will believe that it'll help the enjoyment of PvP and I'm inclined to agree. Fixing purify to be usable as the priority ability should be a thing, disallowing constant chain CC's when your purify is down should be innate (I mean honestly who enjoys being on the receiving end of this?) and having a proactive purify with very little immunity time would add a massive risk / reward outplay to an otherwise very binary skill. And both Purify and Guard have hard counters (Either through an Ult or a specific class [IE: Silence, WHM Poly, etc.]).

It's just to create less frustration in more edge cases IMO. Not like you ALWAYS get chain CC'd but that doesn't mean it's alright, either.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    No, I think this is 100% a case of "you think you do, but you don't." Players literally don't understand what they're asking for, what will happen if you basically make CC unreliable. It will turn every single game into a mindless slugfest, and instead you'll have people complaining about how it's impossible to kill anyone... because you *NEED* to lock people down if you want to kill them, especially if we're talking about the low-skill players that typically make these complaints (they won't be coordinating DPS properly to burst people down without them being locked down first.)

Purify and Resilience need to have maximum priority, but that's the only thing that needs to happen. Well, that and ideally fixing the tickrate...

15+ Year Old Account
    Crystalline Conflict at the high end is entirely determinate upon proper team play. Because ranked is only solo queue, and there's no proper way to communicate with your team other than quick chats, it's incredibly hard to properly communicate chain CC on targets. When chain CC is achieved, a player WILL die, and there's absolutely nothing at all they can do about it. You can use both guard and purify and still die without recourse.

This would all be "fine" if people played to the rules of the game. But they don't. There is an addon that will create a countdown over a player's head using the markers. It counts down 3-2-1 then puts the circle above their head as the last marker. That indicates that everyone should chain CC and focus them. The opposing player has no idea this is coming, and under normal circumstances, without a mod, THIS WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE AT ALL. Or at least, doing so manually would be insanely hard.

Then, there are the bots. As a player in the top 100, eeking on top 30, I can say for a fact that 70-80% of players in those top crystal rankings use the bot. Every time you go to do a limit break? Stun or polymorph or fear. Every time you go to use one of your major damaging abilities? CC. These bots automatically detect what players are using and use CC on them. It's super easy to tell, because say you're playing dancer, you go to limit break, you're targeting the white mage who is targeting another player. But the literal INSTANT you start your limit break cast, you're suddenly polymorphed, and the white mage never untargeted the other player. It's super easy to tell who's using a bot in PvP. I'm absolutely baffled SE has not taken time to just do some cursory playing to spot super obvious bots.

So all of this considered, the excessive use of CC and lack of anything to be done about it is incredibly unfun. Numerous streamers have said it, but if you're PvPing and you die because you literally have no counter play - not because you played poorly, it's not fun. It's the antithesis of fun. I'm sure it's fun for the botters and those using addons, but for everyone playing legitimately, it's insanely unfun. To compete, they either have to get addons/bots themselves, or continue to smash their head against an unfair system. Largely created through inability to do much about CC other than a single break.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    The issue is probably that Square-Enix design and tune the game around solo queue/playing solo, with limited teamwork involved. Which... that's fucking retarded. In the extreme.

You don't make a system for allegedly competitive play and then *not* design it around team-versus-team play, or otherwise around the best possible play. It's a recipe for disaster.

I still don't understand why solo ranked queue is even a thing. It should have been Casual (bring a buddy if you want) and Team Ranked from the outset. I think we would indeed need to review the effectiveness of crowd control effects in a Team Ranked environment (as well as burst damage.) But since they're balancing around some assumed scenario where people aren't aligning burst and control, but it's very possible to do so (you can just create a macro to emulate the 3-2-1 countdown, dude), and you get "I died with no recourse" complaints as a result. Most of the time, they were out of position or otherwise screwing up. But sometimes, there really wasn't anything they could do about it.