Questing/combat video looked pretty good. Not the most exciting combat ever, but they said it was low level so that's to be expected. Looks much more responsive and tighter now though, and some of the abilities look great.

Big fan of the scrolling text from NPC's, makes it feel a lot more like a JRPG to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    Video looked great. Though I liked the way quests were handled in FFXI- made them feel more "epic" as yo had to really figure out what needed to be done. However, it does sound like they going the route that FFXI took when it comes to leveling. Though not as severe as saying you NEED a group, but instead you WANT a group for faster progress.
    These are the type of quests that /people/ do not want anymore, I liked them though (also played eq1). /People/ want to have a huge circle where they can run to do what needs to be done, and then run back and click through the dialog and get their quest reward. I miss XI & EQ.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Loyrl View Post
    These are the type of quests that /people/ do not want anymore, I liked them though (also played eq1). /People/ want to have a huge circle where they can run to do what needs to be done, and then run back and click through the dialog and get their quest reward. I miss XI & EQ.
    For Side quests I'm totally fine with that, the main story line should still feel epic like it did in the past. I feel more and more that our society (gamer society not society... society) has gotten lazier when it comes to gaming, valuing the quick barely gratifying success instead of enjoying the long epic trip. There are many factors for it, but in reference to mmo-rpg. A lot of "blame" can be passed to WoW for many of its innovations or the innovations of the addon/mods that blizzard allowed players to make. Innovation is not a bad thing, do to its popularity the idea behind how abilities are preformed and their responsiveness has changed, as well as the allowance for custom UI layouts.

However, that is all just steering the topic to a dark debate that will more or less end in flaming and insults.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyrl View Post
    I don't think it's so much a matter of people not wanting those quests, but more that, in games with that kind of quest, you have to grind the rest of your exp rather than quest for your exp. FFXI for example, yes it had magnificent questlines, but you had to grind your ass off for experience to actually level and access these quests.

From my experience people hate side quests but love epic quest lines. Games need to make it so you actually get to whatever level cap there is by just doing epic quest lines.
    In FFXIV I would really like to see one story and one quest line that takes you around the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    From my experience people hate side quests but love epic quest lines. Games need to make it so you actually get to whatever level cap there is by just doing epic quest lines.
    In FFXIV I would really like to see one story and one quest line that takes you around the world.
    At the end of FFXIV 1.0 there were larger story line quests that took you into certain dungeons, etc. From my understanding the only quests in the alpha right now are smaller side quests, class quests and leve quests.

What I meant was that people dont seem to like "Kill 15 X" quests which only purpose is to give XP and have no impact on the general story of the game.

Having people getting bored of repetetive endgame just because leveling was too story driven doesnt happen if your endgame isnt repetetive. SWTOR had really great leveling but it was still daily quest based on max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    What I meant was that people dont seem to like "Kill 15 X" quests which only purpose is to give XP and have no impact on the general story of the game.

Having people getting bored of repetetive endgame just because leveling was too story driven doesnt happen if your endgame isnt repetetive. SWTOR had really great leveling but it was still daily quest based on max level.
    I never made it to endgame in SWTOR, the grind killed me. But your right, I in ffxiv side quests should be more the "kill 15 x" thing that may play a role in that zone/region/area etc.

@Virtua- Its been a while from when I first did the quests in ffxi, but it felt like the story of each expansion, the main quest lines, all lead into the endgame content. This is what I hope they do again.

It's amazing. Developers that actually LISTEN to player feedback? They've definitely been listening based on what I've seen, that's for damn sure. Both Trion and SE are heading in the right direction imo

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    It's amazing. Developers that actually LISTEN to player feedback? They've definitely been listening based on what I've seen, that's for damn sure. Both Trion and SE are heading in the right direction imo
    YoshiP is the best thing to happen to Sqeenix in the past decade. No joke. He's absolutely fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerx12 View Post
    Final! A video that shows combat and questing. The combat is faster! So excited right now!
    the combat is faster compared to what? pretty sure its not compared to any Current MMO, but considerably faster than FFXI and FFXIV v1, but still way too slow.

what i noticed

- GCD is 4 sec
    - all the caster spells have castbars, in that video of the caster theres was no instants
    - the player/Dev is a clicker, so we dont know if can move in combat or not, or cast while moving
    - it takes him an reasonable amount of time to kill mobs 6 level below him, (so by power of assumption killing stuff for your level is gonna take a good ammount of time, therefore making leveling seem like a grind after a while)
    - the ui frame for the quest system is so like RPG in my old PS1
    - the world looks gorgeous
    - mobs are really detailed
    - engine seems to handle well alot of info in the screen.
    - we can jump ^^
    - too much spell particles flying around
    - UI is way to obstructive, in certain parts of the movie.

i would really like to get my hand on the beta like i did for the First FFXIV, to test it properly but i dont find any place to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    the combat is faster compared to what? pretty sure its not compared to any Current MMO, but considerably faster than FFXI and FFXIV v1, but still way too slow.

what i noticed

- GCD is 4 sec
    - all the caster spells have castbars, in that video of the caster theres was no instants
    - the player/Dev is a clicker, so we dont know if can move in combat or not, or cast while moving
    - it takes him an reasonable amount of time to kill mobs 6 level below him, (so by power of assumption killing stuff for your level is gonna take a good ammount of time, therefore making leveling seem like a grind after a while)
    - we can jump ^^

i would really like to get my hand on the beta like i did for the First FFXIV, to test it properly but i dont find any place to apply.
    The game has to be playable with a controller. Delays = balance.

Also, if it's anything like FFXI, getting those cast timers PERFECT can make all the difference in the world. It's part pre-emptive/predictive play and part team based.

As to killing the mobs, the game has probably been re-designed around the FFXI style where, you can solo a lot of mobs, but yes, it will take a lot of time. However, XP'ing in a group = 200%+ faster levelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    As to killing the mobs, the game has probably been re-designed around the FFXI style where, you can solo a lot of mobs, but yes, it will take a lot of time. However, XP'ing in a group = 200%+ faster levelling.
    Hopefully they make getting a group quick and easy. I tried FFXI but as interested as I was, chat room online was not what I was looking for.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Hopefully they make getting a group quick and easy. I tried FFXI but as interested as I was, chat room online was not what I was looking for.
    Same for me here, but - are we able to play FFXVI right now? I mean, I dont find any downloadlinks or such... are the Servers still available? (Im not talking about 2.0)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talice View Post
    Same for me here, but - are we able to play FFXVI right now? I mean, I dont find any downloadlinks or such... are the Servers still available? (Im not talking about 2.0)
    Alpha only atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post

what i noticed

- GCD is 4 sec
    - we can jump ^^

1)That GCD your seing, isn't a GCD but a CD on the abilit itself, FFXI had this as well.
    2)With the exception of a very limited few Spells, in the FF series, all spells are cast-ed (meaning the have a cast bar). Rightfully so as far as i'm concerned (your opinion obviously differs, and there's nothing wrong with that)
    3) Its a relatively safe assumption that you can move if melee, but because spells are cast-ed, you can't move around. This was true In 1.0 and all through FFXI
    4) Nothing new here, FF hold the community at a higher level than most of its competition. FF as heart is a party game- even all the single player only version were based around a party system- this isn't a new concept and I'm glade it holds true for 2.0
    5)Dunno what to say here other than, can't go wrong with something simple that works well (vs something "complicated" and is more of a hindrance)
    6-9) agreed
    10)More than likely was for effect to show the Upper reaches of what a player COULD see, but can always be tuned down (was the case in FFXI)
    11) From what I've gathered the UI will be customizable (not sure if "addons" will be allowed or not), thus not really a big concern (even less for me as I play on triple monitors- all in Landscape vew)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    the UI does seem alittle obstructive, so here's hoping they allow customisation or at least cater for mods. Loving the animations and spells though, I don't think it's "too much" at the moment since the way the combat is played out allows time to enjoy the animations anyway. Nowhere near as bad as GW2 (not that I dont like their animations, but it gets real messy at times).

I kinda like how I'm getting the "Final Fantasy" feel from the other stuff. The environment, the music, even the chat boxes. Looking good so far!

playing the alpha gave me a huge i mean huge impression that i was playing FFCC: My life as a king somehow, i still liked it very much

Quote Originally Posted by Mavecryst View Post
    the UI does seem alittle obstructive, so here's hoping they allow customisation or at least cater for mods. Loving the animations and spells though, I don't think it's "too much" at the moment since the way the combat is played out allows time to enjoy the animations anyway. Nowhere near as bad as GW2 (not that I dont like their animations, but it gets real messy at times).

I kinda like how I'm getting the "Final Fantasy" feel from the other stuff. The environment, the music, even the chat boxes. Looking good so far!
    The UI should be fully customisable, or at the very least, they'd already said that you'll be able to completely alter its size and certain parts positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    The UI should be fully customisable, or at the very least, they'd already said that you'll be able to completely alter its size and certain parts positions.
    I remember them saying this too, wasn't it in one of the later Dev Letters?