10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    Square FF dev's seem to listen to the community
    lol no. FFXI developers didnt listen and stilll dont listen to the community.

not to mention no warnings were headed before the launch of worthless FFXIV 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Saxonn View Post
    I think the way I see it is, SE allowed FFXI to be a lot more player driven, utsusemi was not meant to be used the way it was, and if we use WoW as an example, I'm pretty sure that they would have hotfixed it rather quickly to not work at all. TP burning SL and Baha v2 would also have been quickly fixed by many current mmos (Let's ignore AV because that boss was a fucking troll for years).

I just feel like they had a lot more faith in their player base than current mmo developers and they seem to know when to not listen to stupid suggestions. I haven't played FFXI since Lv75, but from what my friends who still play have said, the whole endgame has shifted to a more lowman group atmosphere which means the devs can obviously change how the game works depending on the player base. If they can have this kind of attitude with the relaunch and not completely ignore all the complaints people have on the beta it should be a success based solely on the Final Fantasy name itself.

Note: This is purely me being nostalgic about FFXI and wanting FFXIV to be awesome, and probably none of this was actually true or hold any ground.
    I was sad that ninja's role was strictly tank. For some levels while I was leveling ninja to 37 I said "screw /war, I'm going /rng for accuracy." Spent a bunch of money on shuriken (far more than I'd spend on tanking) and did a crap-ton of damage with them. Sadly, at higher levels, a shuriken build wouldn't work because they were WAY too damn expensive. Which is sad, because that's always how I envisioned ninja. Not being a noisy guy trying to get enemies attention.

Still, I played FFXI in such a way that I did whatever the heck I wanted (I used a lot of weird subjobs) with good justification and I always made sure to perform well. Weird combinations were fun and I liked being able to be unique to a degree. They had no homogenization at all, which I think is great. WoW has gotten really boring with all classes bringing pretty much the same stuff to the table. Class should matter. A lot.

The only reason I quit the game is because I couldn't stand sitting for hour waiting for groups and be prepared to dedicate more hours in the group. I needed a game where I could do something for 30min-1hour and actually feel like I accomplished something in that time. Questing based RPG. Glad to see FFXIV is heading in that direction, I'm seriously considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingifrit View Post
    lol no. FFXI developers didnt listen and stilll dont listen to the community.

not to mention no warnings were headed before the launch of worthless FFXIV 1.0
    If I remember correctily the Dev's of FFXIV 1.0 were a different team that what was on FFXI. Yoshi said some where in his first letters that he was going to pull FFXI dev's over to XIV to help out (one can infer that this ment 2 different teams).

They Have listened, I don't know when you last played but they have listend... took them a fuck ton of time before doing it, all of the last expansions were the dev's responses to the out cry for more content and easier leveling. Which for me were the 2 biggest things as I love having every class/job to max level and armor hunting (preferred armor hunting to end game raiding)

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I was sad that ninja's role was strictly tank. For some levels while I was leveling ninja to 37 I said "screw /war, I'm going /rng for accuracy." Spent a bunch of money on shuriken (far more than I'd spend on tanking) and did a crap-ton of damage with them. Sadly, at higher levels, a shuriken build wouldn't work because they were WAY too damn expensive. Which is sad, because that's always how I envisioned ninja. Not being a noisy guy trying to get enemies attention.
    The whole NIN tank thing was just.. ugh. Irritating. You finally get a game with ninja in it, and they just become tanks. GG MMO crowd :/

Curse you Square Enix. Just got a mail that read "FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta" and got super exited. Then I opened it and it was just a mail telling me to sign up, like I havent already

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Curse you Square Enix. Just got a mail that read "FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta" and got super exited. Then I opened it and it was just a mail telling me to sign up, like I havent already
    Same here... My face went from to D: in about 2.5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    The whole NIN tank thing was just.. ugh. Irritating. You finally get a game with ninja in it, and they just become tanks. GG MMO crowd :/
    The thing is, they still were good DDs. Problem is, there was always a massive shortage of tanks and even more of a shortage of healers. I mean basically, you had one healing job, and some others that could heal but usually refused to heal (can you blame them? I mean you don't play summoner because you want to heal).

Really though, for a tank, all you needed was someone who could wear heavy armor and use provoke. But people got stuck in their ways and yelled "heresy!" at any other suggestions. It was incredibly player driven. It's good and bad. With WoW, I feel forced into a certain spot by the developers, not the players.

I played FFXI for 8 years, and still have an activate account. I think they did as best as they could with the amount of income they were getting with subscriptions, at least in the later years. While I enjoyed the game, I feel they ruined the economy and events, and thus, peoples' enjoyment of the game trying to relentlessly chase gilsellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxonn View Post
    I think the way I see it is, SE allowed FFXI to be a lot more player driven, utsusemi was not meant to be used the way it was, and if we use WoW as an example, I'm pretty sure that they would have hotfixed it rather quickly to not work at all. TP burning SL and Baha v2 would also have been quickly fixed by many current mmos (Let's ignore AV because that boss was a fucking troll for years).

I just feel like they had a lot more faith in their player base than current mmo developers and they seem to know when to not listen to stupid suggestions. I haven't played FFXI since Lv75, but from what my friends who still play have said, the whole endgame has shifted to a more lowman group atmosphere which means the devs can obviously change how the game works depending on the player base. If they can have this kind of attitude with the relaunch and not completely ignore all the complaints people have on the beta it should be a success based solely on the Final Fantasy name itself.

Note: This is purely me being nostalgic about FFXI and wanting FFXIV to be awesome, and probably none of this was actually true or hold any ground.
    I loved FFXI. I was a summoner and enjoyed soloing bombs for easy xp in where Jorm spawned. So many good memories of that game, and then I recall the let down of Wings of the Goddess and the lack luster of content, which made me quit. Still, I look back at that game as a positive. Minus having to compete for hours over Valkurm Emperor and Leaping Lizzy for Gil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    I loved FFXI. I was a summoner and enjoyed soloing bombs for easy xp in where Jorm spawned. So many good memories of that game, and then I recall the let down of Wings of the Goddess and the lack luster of content, which made me quit. Still, I look back at that game as a positive. Minus having to compete for hours over Valkurm Emperor and Leaping Lizzy for Gil.
    I know they have a new expansion coming out soon for FFXI I haven't played since the last one came out I was a Ninja main and loved the community just hated having to play 8 hours a day to get anything done. I still have my Linkshell video kills for Jorm and a few other "bosses".

Quote Originally Posted by Nuex View Post
    Anyone know much about the details about the game?

I mostly want to know if the PC UI (and use of a keyboard and mouse) are going to be abled to be used on the PS3.
    I'm curious as well, but if pushed for what I think will happen, I'd have to say that they are too heavily invested with the new UI scheme for PS3 to allow the KB/Mouse on PS3 to be used. It's a clever idea - hell, even to use the PS3 controller on the PC and get the PS3 UI. That level of flexibility would be amaaaazing.

But I bet it won't happen that way. Expect the PC UI for PC, and the PS3 controller UI for PS3, and n'er the two shall meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoofreak View Post
    I'm curious as well, but if pushed for what I think will happen, I'd have to say that they are too heavily invested with the new UI scheme for PS3 to allow the KB/Mouse on PS3 to be used. It's a clever idea - hell, even to use the PS3 controller on the PC and get the PS3 UI. That level of flexibility would be amaaaazing.

But I bet it won't happen that way. Expect the PC UI for PC, and the PS3 controller UI for PS3, and n'er the two shall meet.
    I remember at some point in FFXI they meet... I know I could use a controller on the pc version, and PS2 version allowed for the use of a keyboard, don't see why it wouldn't be different this time around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoofreak View Post

Ya Im really not sure where you are going with this considering most FFXI PC players used a controller, at least everyone in my linkshell did. I haven't played XIV, so no comment there. But if its anything like its predecessor the UI will be tailored to a controller so that PC and PS3 players are on a level playing field.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Ya Im really not sure where you are going with this considering most FFXI PC players used a controller, at least everyone in my linkshell did. I haven't played XIV, so no comment there. But if its anything like its predecessor the UI will be tailored to a controller so that PC and PS3 players are on a level playing field.
    Sadly, this was my experience as well. The game is really clunky to play with a keyboard/mouse. I remember how baffling it was when I first got the game and how frustrating it was to try to get used to those awkward controls.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2013-02-11 at 09:02 PM.

we've only seen screenshots of the PS3 controller UI on the PS3. That's pretty much all I've seen so far in regards to controller UI. Yeah, I know people have played both games with a controller on the PC, so I'd want to see both UI's available for both. I'm just not sure they are, though. Let's hope they do!

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Sadly, this was my experience as well. The game is really clunky to play with a keyboard/mouse. I remember how baffling it was when I first got the game and how frustrating it was to try to get used to those awkward controls.
    For me it wasn't that bad, took a few hours but once I got the hang of numpad to move/run walk etc and using ctrl+num keys for macro's to cast, and equip armor.... it was gg for me. For games like FF I honestly don't think a mouse is EVER necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Actually, since they want to attract people who are unable to play a game without using the typical WoW controls and mouse looking, I'm sure they'll make it work fine with both. I think I might end up using a gamepad though.

Wait is this another Final Fantasy online?

I bought the first one as a kid but, for some reason, it never wanted to connect online so I ended up never playing it. From what I read year later though, I never missed much.