Quote Originally Posted by Saxonn View Post
    I didn't mind about not understanding tbh, I had a googledoc with someone translating as it went on, even though it was laggy, it was mainly for the gameplay and concept art (I do want that bear armor they showed, even if I hate pvp I will grind that shit as long as it doesn't have "slavage"esque droprate/mythic cost).
    Salvage pretty much wrecked FFXI for me, so hopefully it'll have more realistic drop rates. I just got fed up of endless runs for nothing or the same 1/3 items I needed just to put 1 piece of gear together. I think I've got 1 piece for every part of the Usukane set still in my mog storage. Never found any of the other pieces. And some of the things that you had to do to get certain mobs to pop and the randomness of item dropping mobs popping... it was just insane. Dynamis I liked, Sky farming I liked, Limbus I liked, Sea farming I liked, doing ENMs over and over I liked... but Salvage... it was just demoralizing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Except google translate sucks.
    Google translate is fantastic for Asian languages. Now, you'll have some of those stick-up-the-ass elitists who will tell you "It doesn't give you the true emotion of the language! The intricate subtleties can't be conveyed in English!" or that sort of nonsense. Would you want to use google translate to read Korean poetry? Probably not. But it serves it's purpose perfectly: Taking a sentence, and telling you what it says.

Now, Middle Eastern languages on the other hand... oh god... I've seen some nightmares come out of Google translate when working with Turkish...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Google translate is fantastic for Asian languages. Now, you'll have some of those stick-up-the-ass elitists who will tell you "It doesn't give you the true emotion of the language! The intricate subtleties can't be conveyed in English!" or that sort of nonsense. Would you want to use google translate to read Korean poetry? Probably not. But it serves it's purpose perfectly: Taking a sentence, and telling you what it says.

Now, Middle Eastern languages on the other hand... oh god... I've seen some nightmares come out of Google translate when working with Turkish...
    The assumption is that it was written 'properly', which odds are, it isn't. It's not just taking the direct translation that bothers me, because it's not that, but it's when it completely fails to translate directly at all.

My hardcore WoW fanboy friend who is in the closed beta told me that the game is and I quote "Fucking awesome" and that is coming from someone who bashes on every MMO game that isn't WoW.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2013-02-26 at 12:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The assumption is that it was written 'properly', which odds are, it isn't. It's not just taking the direct translation that bothers me, because it's not that, but it's when it completely fails to translate directly at all.
    It also fails to translate words into the correct context if its a synonym.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxonn View Post
    It also fails to translate words into the correct context if its a synonym.
    In all fairness, I believe that would require sentience to perform accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    In all fairness, I believe that would require sentience to perform accurately.
    Even sentience doesn't necessarily help :P. Localization (as opposed to translation) is not easy, even for people bilingual in both languages.

I gotta admit, Square continues to impress me with their sheer tenacity regarding this title.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Even sentience doesn't necessarily help :P. Localization (as opposed to translation) is not easy, even for people bilingual in both languages.

I gotta admit, Square continues to impress me with their sheer tenacity regarding this title.
    agreed on all points. Though I do have to say that for the lack of emotion in it, the FFXI built in "translated" options worked quite well... until you have ass hat friends like I do that would do "please assist" "circle" "jerkin".....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    The localization is great! We've only got bits and pieces but they have some really good translators and even better writers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    agreed on all points. Though I do have to say that for the lack of emotion in it, the FFXI built in "translated" options worked quite well... until you have ass hat friends like I do that would do "please assist" "circle" "jerkin".....
    But what is funny with most of that is it doesn't translate into JP like it does into English. So it is mainly just annoying the English speakers.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    that is, if they decide to port it or not, 360 version would be out before the "new generation" gets anything
    The 360 won't be getting FFXIV. Microsoft allowed SE to have players only require a silver membership for FFXI, but demand that for FFXIV players must have a gold account (so that MS can get in on the action). SE refuses to force players to have to pay twice to play a game, so it's not going to come to 360 (or 720 or whatever) as long as MS doesn't change its stance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick question that may or may not be appropriate for this thread:
    I get a score of about 6500 running on a GTX 670, an i5 2500 and 8 GB system RAM. Would I get the best performance boost by upgrading to an i7?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Quick question that may or may not be appropriate for this thread:
    I get a score of about 6500 running on a GTX 670, an i5 2500 and 8 GB system RAM. Would I get the best performance boost by upgrading to an i7?
    I'm not sure how the game is going to deal with hyperthreading and/or using more cores. Check around the benchmarks from others who are running a similar setup as you, but with the i7 instead of the i5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    I'm not sure how the game is going to deal with hyperthreading and/or using more cores. Check around the benchmarks from others who are running a similar setup as you, but with the i7 instead of the i5.
    That's what's so confusing. I've been seeing similar setups to mine but with scores of 7000-8000. The only thing I've spotted in most is an i7 processor but that shouldn't contribute so much should it? Maybe they are running SLi?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what's so confusing. I've been seeing similar setups to mine but with scores of 7000-8000. The only thing I've spotted in most is an i7 processor but that shouldn't contribute so much should it? Maybe they are running SLi?
    I don't know, really. I do know an ivy cpu will give you some increase since you gain the benefits of any PCIe 3.0 slots you have. I don't know a whole lot about this, so maybe you can take your question to the computer forums and get more information there. I do think we'll get a lot better info on multiple cores and hyperthreading once the NDA is lifted.

I did find a post from 2010, so take this with a grain of salt.

Honestly don't think that an i7 is going to give you a gain of 1500 points (could be wrong though). they also might be overclocked (dunno if you are or not) there's alot of info about peoples systems that they aren't posting to go along with their scores, so theirs to much "IF"s to give you a exact answer. Honstly though, i'd go with a bit more ram if your running 4 sticks to get 8 gigs, i'd consider switching to 4 sticks of 4gigs (16 total) nothing will use that much, but you can get a program that allows the loading of applications into ram, so load times are damn near instant (ram is still faster than ssd's)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have the same video card as someone and you're not getting the same performance, I would shoot them a PM and ask nicely what their setup is and if they have any suggestions. Usually people are nice enough to respond if you ask nicely.

Edit: Wrong thread for the first sentence, was thinking of the other new benchmark test thread in the PC section.
    Edit: I think I read the post you are comparing your setup to, if you could post your full benchmark test results it may help people make comparisons. If you are running higher graphics or a higher resolution then your score will drop compared to a 1080 setup.
    Last edited by Loyrl; 2013-02-27 at 02:24 PM.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

Edit: Since I can't ask of those who are in the beta due to NDA stuffs... Do people think this game is going to be worth it? The few official videos released all seem to show players standing still spaced out in combat, it just looks weird and hope it isn't really like that.

Did some tests with the benchmark software and just wanted to post some results.
    Used the same settings in the program for all the tests:

Screen Size: 1920x1080
    Graphics Presets: Custom
    General
    -Improve overall graphic quality. : Disabled ***note: with this enabled, the result was a black screen***
    -Disable rendering of objects when not visible. (Occlusion Culling) : Enabled
    -Use low-detail models on distant objects to increase performance. (LOD) : Disabled
    -Cache LOD data only when necessary. (LOD Streaming) : Disabled
    -Smooth edges. (Anti-aliasing) : Enabled
    -Increase transparent lighting quality. : Enabled
    -Grass Quality : High
    Shadows
    -Use low-detail models on shadows to increase performance. (LOD) : Disabled
    -Display : Personal and Environmental
    -Shadow Resolution : High: 2048 pixels
    -Shadow Cascading : High
    -Shadow Softening : High
    Texture Detail
    -Texture Filtering : High
    -Anisotropic Filtering : High
    Effects
    -Naturally darken the edges of the screen. (Limb Darkening) : Enabled
    -Blur the graphics around an object in motion. (Radial Blur) : Enabled
    -Effects While in Motion : Display Own
    -Screen Space Ambient Occlusion : High
    -Glare : Normal
    Cinematic Cutscenes
    -Enable depth of field. : Enabled

System - I7 920, 7950 OC edition, 12G of 1600Mhz ram, software on RAID 0 WD Black 7200 RPM HDD
    Test 1-3: CPU Clock = 2540 Mhz
    -Avg FPS 54.624 / Score 6665
    -Avg FPS 54.790 / Score 6688
    -Avg FPS 54.668 / Score 6672
    Test 4-6: CPU Clock = 3360 Mhz
    -Avg FPS 57.480 / Score 6975
    -Avg FPS 57.343 / Score 6964
    -Avg FPS 57.485 / Score 6971
    Test 7-8: CPU Clock = 3800 Mhz
    -Avg FPS 59.031 / Score 7148
    -Avg FPS 59.020 / Score 7155
    Test 9: CPU Clock = 3800 Mhz (CPU throttling off)
    -Avg FPS 59.324 / Score 7182

For a fun test, took test 9 CPU settings with the lowest I could get in the benchmark software *still 1920x1080 (Other then shadows/sunlight flashing, it still looked surprisingly good) Avg FPS 88.083 / Score 10399
    Last edited by Kayko; 2013-03-03 at 07:39 AM. Reason: original question would identify beta testers, edited out due to NDA stuffs.

SLI isn't working with it currently so that isn't it. It could be the type of processor (whether you're running a 2nd or 3rd core i5) and the type of graphics card they're running. If they're smart and tweak the parameters of their graphics card they can push out more power on the same model.

As far as FFXIV is concerned, no, an i7 isn't going to give you a massively huge bonus over an i5 unless the actual Ghz clocks between the two are a big gap -- that's due to the higher clock more than the processor type.

10+ Year Old Account
    this thread may have some useful information on benchmark scores

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/114...-Scores/page16