Hey all, huge fan of FFXI - I probably logged over 100 RL days into that game in my prime. Lost interest towards the middle/end of Treasures xpac (salvage really sucked)

Can anyone point me in the direction (already read the first post and clicked linkys) to some info on this game? I didn't play the original release so anything on that would rule also.

i'm debating between going back to FFXI with the new xpac or waiting for this, so anyone who plays one or the other (or both!) I'd love you

Quote Originally Posted by Boomcats View Post
    Hey all, huge fan of FFXI - I probably logged over 100 RL days into that game in my prime. Lost interest towards the middle/end of Treasures xpac (salvage really sucked)

Can anyone point me in the direction (already read the first post and clicked linkys) to some info on this game? I didn't play the original release so anything on that would rule also.

i'm debating between going back to FFXI with the new xpac or waiting for this, so anyone who plays one or the other (or both!) I'd love you
    14's in closed beta, and an NDA is active so no one currently playing in it can give you any info on it other than "its cool" or "their have been definite improvements". From what I understand its going through a pretty big "overhaul" so the best place for information on it is going to be the lodestone, which holds all the developer letters and blog posts.

I haven't played a FF game since FF X on the PS2 and I was thinking about playing the newer ones but I have a few questions.
    - Are they still the same gameplay wise since the last time I played it?
    - Does the story continue at all from the newer ones or could I get the newest one and know whats going on?
    - Which one would you recommend me to play, the newest one or maybe the 2nd newest one?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    I haven't played a FF game since FF X on the PS2 and I was thinking about playing the newer ones but I have a few questions.
    - Are they still the same gameplay wise since the last time I played it?
    - Does the story continue at all from the newer ones or could I get the newest one and know whats going on?
    - Which one would you recommend me to play, the newest one or maybe the 2nd newest one?
    I don't think you're quite in the right thread.. This is about the FF XIV, which is an MMO and quite different from all the single player games in the series, except XI.

Well anyway, to answer your question, no the story does not continue. Each game is a separate game unto itself. They are not related, unless it's a specific sequel, like X-2 or XIII-2. All the games from I through to XIII are otherwise different. Gameplay reflects this difference, each Final Fantasy has their own set of combat rules/levelling up systems/sidequests etc.

As for recommendation, I wouldn't recommend playing XIII or XIII-2 until you've tried the older ones, if possible. They're decent as games, but as Final Fantasies they kinda suck, imo. The older ones (perhaps start with VII so you can get straight into arguments of which is the best FF :P) are better.

All I can say is that in my opinion you're going to like it a lot. ^0^
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

i went back to FFXI a month ago. I regret nothing. I'm loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    14's in closed beta, and an NDA is active so no one currently playing in it can give you any info on it other than "its cool" or "their have been definite improvements". From what I understand its going through a pretty big "overhaul" so the best place for information on it is going to be the lodestone, which holds all the developer letters and blog posts.
    When is it planned to go into open beta?

Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    When it's ready.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/dow...Roadmap_EN.pdf

Page 8. So assuming all goes according to plan, mid-late April? That or I'm horrible at the maths and the calendars and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/dow...Roadmap_EN.pdf

Page 8. So assuming all goes according to plan, mid-late April? That or I'm horrible at the maths and the calendars and stuff.
    Sweet, if it is indeed around mid april that's not too bad. I was thinking something like next year lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet, if it is indeed around mid april that's not too bad. I was thinking something like next year lol.
    Well, to crush your dreams, the 'worse' possibility by their estimation is June~.

Just to clarify 2 things- do we know an "estimated release time". I certainly would not expect anything more specific then Summer 2013.

2nd, the “you are going to love it” that’s about the closed beta new FF, not the xpac for FFXI now correct? In a perfect world I could play both, unfortunately life has time constraints. So I can only pick one.

.... PS one more thing- the FF release (NOT THE BETA) - was it more like a wow approach to the game, or traditional FFXI. In that I mean slow paced, JRPG style then American-ish mash button play. I enjoy both as long as their is ample end game content (HNM, BCNM, ENM, Sky) but I'm just trying to pick my next MMO and I really want it to be this game.

Just to clarify 2 things- do we know an "estimated release time". I certainly would not expect anything more specific then Summer 2013.

2nd, the “you are going to love it” that’s about the closed beta new FF, not the xpac for FFXI now correct? In a perfect world I could play both, unfortunately life has time constraints. So I can only pick one.

.... PS one more thing- the FF release (NOT THE BETA) - was it more like a wow approach to the game, or traditional FFXI. In that I mean slow paced, JRPG style then American-ish mash button play. I enjoy both as long as their is ample end game content (HNM, BCNM, ENM, Sky) but I'm just trying to pick my next MMO and I really want it to be this game.
    Don't mean to sound like an ass but this has already been answered numerous times in the thread.

FFXI's expansion launches in 5 days.

FFXIV is due to a June - August release date from the horse's mouth. Either pick FFXI and Seekers now, or wait 3-5 months for FFXIV.

Beyond that, look at the tread and figure out how the game is coming to be from browsing news. I don't mind answering questions, but if you're so lazy you can't even do a minimal google search (which each of those are answered in it) or do a skim of this thread then deal with nastiness.

You should be used to needing to find things out for yourself (or asking for verification) after having played FFXI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heyhey! pretty sure this doesn't brake NDA, if it does feel free to reply with a stern "I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you..."

I was just looking on the offical page at all the classes, some very cool choice there (Monk and Dragoon look epic) and I was just pondering, as this is a Trinity type game, do we know what roles all the classes fill? Can classes fill more than one roll, or does the ability to swap and change your job mean each class is more focused.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    The original classes and jobs from 1.0 are in 2.0. The classes had a predetermined role. To get the advanced jobs you needed to be lvl 30 in a main class and lvl 15 in a subclass and do a long class quest:
    classes:
    Gladiator (sword): tank
    Maradur (axe): dps
    Lancer (polearm): dps
    pugilist (hand): dps
    archer (bow): dps
    thamaturge (wand/cane): dps
    conjurer (wand/cane): healer

job
    paladin (sword)
    warrior (axe)
    Dragoon (polearm)
    Monk (hand)
    Bard (bow)
    Black Mage (wand/cane)
    White Mage (wand/cane)

its already been stated publicly that there will be a summoner class/job ready for launch.

I keep seeing people with different scores, so I wanted to post mine.

I assume I will not have any issues with a benchmark score of 13175? When the original was launching I had a terrible benchmark, so that tax season, i built a brand new computer(without XIV since it had come out to.....dismal reviews).

Hopefully the game allows me to run on higher settings with a large group of people in the area, always loved the detail in FF games, especially XI.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    The original classes and jobs from 1.0 are in 2.0. The classes had a predetermined role. To get the advanced jobs you needed to be lvl 30 in a main class and lvl 15 in a subclass and do a long class quest:
    classes:
    Gladiator (sword): tank
    Maradur (axe): dps
    Lancer (polearm): dps
    pugilist (hand): dps
    archer (bow): dps
    thamaturge (wand/cane): dps
    conjurer (wand/cane): healer

job
    paladin (sword)
    warrior (axe)
    Dragoon (polearm)
    Monk (hand)
    Bard (bow)
    Black Mage (wand/cane)
    White Mage (wand/cane)

its already been stated publicly that there will be a summoner class/job ready for launch.
    So the first list is what you have to start, and the second list is what you need to unlock? And there will be subjobs much like in FFXI? Do they still do job levels and... what was it (I only played the original beta) physical levels that you had no matter what job you were? Or did they scrap that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    So the first list is what you have to start, and the second list is what you need to unlock? And there will be subjobs much like in FFXI? Do they still do job levels and... what was it (I only played the original beta) physical levels that you had no matter what job you were? Or did they scrap that?
    There's no sub job perse but let me give you an example:

To be a dragoon you need Lancer at lvl 30 and pugilist at lvl 15. Then you can do the quests for dragoon.
    Once you're a dragoon you have access to ALL lancer skills and then you can use some Pugislist and Archer skills (random don't ask me).

Your other jobs level independently from your main. If I'm a dragoon NO OTHER CLASS/JOB will get XP.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2013-03-21 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    subjob is used a "realtive" term, but its nothing like XI. In order to unlock dragoon I had to have Pugilist (first list) to 15 and Lancer (also frist list) to 30. The subjob in in this case is Pugilist, but Because of XIV's "class" system, there really isn't a real "subjob" like how you would be Sam/war in XI, its more or less an "additional requirement".

---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    There's no sub job perse but let me give you an example:

To be a dragoon you need Lancer at lvl 30 and pugilist at lvl 15. Then you can do the quests for dragoon.
    Oncd you're a dragoon you have access to ALL lancer skills and then you can use some Pugislist and Archer skills (random don't ask me).

Your other jobs level independently from your main. If I'm a dragoon NO OTHER CLASS/JOB will get XP.
    ===Edit===
    You beat me to the punch Buck

Gotcha, thanks for that info. I do like subjobs, so I kind of wish they would put them in, but oh well.

My second question was physical levels. I remember they existed in the beta (levels independent of your job) that boosted your stats and such, but I'm not sure what became of that or if they still exist.