Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    Anyone from EU know a really good english server to join? On beta I mostly played on Shiva and it was full of french people (no offense to the French just I'd prefer to play with english speakers). Also what is a legacy server? At first I thought it was restricted to legacy player but I was allowed to play on it from scratch.
    Odin was really nice. Lots of friendly people. Not a lot of spam in the chat. Everyone speaking english.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacredelite View Post
    I don't think leveling all classes to 30 then decide on main is a wise idea. You will run out of story and side quests. To each his own I suppose. Yoshi said there will be enough quests to probably level a few classes to 50, but after that your exp comes from fates, hunting logs, dungeons, and leves.
    I'm used to leveling via Leves and XP Chain parties. Leveling the classes to 30 is for two reasons: 1. Because it's easy. 2. Each Job requires 1 class at 30 and one class at 15, so getting them all to 30 opens ALL of the jobs to me.

In 1.0 it severely limited your playtime if you only had one DoW or DoM class at 50. I'm not saying this is going to happen in 2.0, but I'm not risking it.

I played on Shiva, too. But, I played mostly with Germans. Just a little bit english speaking players.

Speaking of servers, what server are you all planning on playing on come P4 and launch.

I think I'll go Leviathan since I always loved him and he's always been my favorite summon.

So got my hands on beta, its better than the previous version but im still meh about it. It just doesn't do anything for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was browsing through my screenshots and realized that there are a lot of really small things that really help with immersion. The Protect spell, for example, has a visual effect when a character is hit with it active. It shows it doing it's job and 'absorbing' part of the attack. You can see they put a lot of care into everything: the world, the characters, the animations...maybe I shouldn't be so impressed but I am.

I also tried healing with a controller on Thursday and it was really smooth! You simply press up/down on the D-pad to select your party members. It's just as fast as a mouse tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I was browsing through my screenshots and realized that there are a lot of really small things that really help with immersion. The Protect spell, for example, has a visual effect when a character is hit with it active. It shows it doing it's job and 'absorbing' part of the attack. You can see they put a lot of care into everything: the world, the characters, the animations...maybe I shouldn't be so impressed but I am.

I also tried healing with a controller on Thursday and it was really smooth! You simply press up/down on the D-pad to select your party members. It's just as fast as a mouse tbh.
    As one of those niche players who plays MMORPGs for the imagery/graphics/immersion, this is something that pleases me a great deal also. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the UI also designed for play with a controller? If so, I wonder if there are any aspects of the game that'd give a PS3 player an advantage over a PC player, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakshamash View Post
    I played on Shiva, too. But, I played mostly with Germans. Just a little bit english speaking players.
    I thought about Shiva mainly because i love Shiva
    But i might just end up on NA realms with friends

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    As one of those niche players who plays MMORPGs for the imagery/graphics/immersion, this is something that pleases me a great deal also. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the UI also designed for play with a controller? If so, I wonder if there are any aspects of the game that'd give a PS3 player an advantage over a PC player, and vice versa.
    The UI is pretty typical for an MMO, but the way they make it interact with the controller is brilliant. Your hotbar changes into the "Cross Bar". It uses R1, R2 and L2 as modifiers for Cross, Triangle, Square, Circle and the D-pad. That alone is 24 potential abilities, but you can also toggle between I believe 4 other cross bars. So you could set up 96 abilities/macros if you really needed to. I've used up quite a bit of space setting up emote macros. xD

It's targeting that I think they handled the best though. You cycle between targets using left and right on the D-Pad, but was is interesting is that you can set up 'filters'. You can have up to 4 filters that you can toggle between by using L1 + Cross, Triangle, Square, Circle. So, for example, you could set up a filter to only cycle between party members and another to only cycle between enemies. It makes for smooth targeting; you don't need to spam the D-pad until you finally get your intended target.

As for advantages...well, all I can really think of is that it's a ton more comfortable using a controller. The PC still has the biggest advantage in terms of reaction time and communication. You can use the auto-translate function by using just the controller, but to type you of course need a keyboard. It's awkward to use a keyboard with the PS3 when you're on the couch.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2013-07-02 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacredelite View Post
    You will more then likely be switching to quite a few classes before you reach max level on your "main class" for some buffs. It makes soloing a lot easier.
    Eh, I'd rather just finish it off before going back for others. Unless something drastically changes, I was able to reach max level on beta thus far without much hassle. So unless there's a spike in difficulty with the last bit of levels, I don't see myself switching to pick up more spells. Granted, it requires a bit more attention on some quests compared to other MMOS, I don't find the time sink spent going back to pick up a couple spells worth it. The 1 spell I have felt I really enjoyed having was cure, so I'll most likely start CNJ and get that to 10, then swap to a THM and get that as far as possible until Arcanist is released. (Or whatever class is required at 15 for summoner - I'm assuming its THM)

Quote Originally Posted by Belial91 View Post
    To become a summoner, wouldn't you need to level another class to 15 anyways? So you would have to this even if Summoner was available on P4 and you can also level some other classes to gain some extra abilities.
    That was the 1 benefit I said I could have at the end of what you quoted, getting the subclass that's required to 15 will at least be some sort of start. I'd rather not worry about a bunch of extra spells until after I've reached max level on at least 1 class though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow-Tiger View Post
    Eh, I'd rather just finish it off before going back for others. Unless something drastically changes, I was able to reach max level on beta thus far without much hassle. So unless there's a spike in difficulty with the last bit of levels, I don't see myself switching to pick up more spells. Granted, it requires a bit more attention on some quests compared to other MMOS, I don't find the time sink spent going back to pick up a couple spells worth it. The 1 spell I have felt I really enjoyed having was cure, so I'll most likely start CNJ and get that to 10, then swap to a THM and get that as far as possible until Arcanist is released. (Or whatever class is required at 15 for summoner - I'm assuming its THM)

That was the 1 benefit I said I could have at the end of what you quoted, getting the subclass that's required to 15 will at least be some sort of start. I'd rather not worry about a bunch of extra spells until after I've reached max level on at least 1 class though.
    Yeah, you don't really need to level a ton of different classes just to get to 50, regardless of what some would have you believe. Melee will want to get Lancer to 22(?) for the Tp recovery ability, marauders will want gladiator's provoke... Other than that I basically just hit 12 on Conjurer for Cure, Protect and Raise. The rest is for min/maxing your output which is hardly necessary (or even very noticeable) pre-cap.
    Last edited by Luko; 2013-07-02 at 08:27 PM.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat feels way better with the controller, but menu's/ >8 abilities are more accessible with a keyboard. I'll use the controller for grinding/leveling, and PC probably for endgame. Controller makes things go a little bit slower, but easier on the hands.

Gathering is waaaay better with a controller imo. I just get tired in my hands from holding down L2 and R2 during combat :/

10+ Year Old Account
    My only problem was sometimes I'd hold down the right trigger, and end up using one of my abilities when I was trying to tab onto another target. Remember to release the right trigger people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I binded it so R2/L2 are R1/L1.

Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    Speaking of servers, what server are you all planning on playing on come P4 and launch.
    I plan on staying on Masamune, played it in 1.0. Although since it's going to be a Japanese labeled server (Even if Legacy) there might not be a lot of English speaking individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I plan on staying on Masamune, played it in 1.0. Although since it's going to be a Japanese labeled server (Even if Legacy) there might not be a lot of English speaking individuals.
    I've always wondered why English is so uncommon among Japanese people (at least, the ones i've met).

I expected it to be their "second language" in the same way that it is for Scandinavians and a great deal of people in Europe and beyond; is there another language that is their "second", or are they quite like most native English speakers in that they only really have one?

I've always wondered why English is so uncommon among Japanese people (at least, the ones i've met).

I expected it to be their "second language" in the same way that it is for Scandinavians and a great deal of people in Europe and beyond; is there another language that is their "second", or are they quite like most native English speakers in that they only really have one?
    From what I've seen and been told, Japanese usually know some amounts of English. Whether refined or not is to be said, as I've heard well spoken English from the Japanese and not-so-much. Although just like most other people and their native language, they are most comfortable using that over any other. I know for a fact I would be embarrassed and stressed out to speak anything but basic Japanese greetings to people who spoke Japanese, otherwise I might severely mess up the grammar.

I'm going to assume, but I'm guessing most other people feel the same way. Speaking broken / basic parts of a language isn't really attractive, and hard to understand from both sides of the fence. D:

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    From what I've seen and been told, Japanese usually know some amounts of English. Whether refined or not is to be said, as I've heard well spoken English from the Japanese and not-so-much. Although just like most other people and their native language, they are most comfortable using that over any other. I know for a fact I would be embarrassed and stressed out to speak anything but basic Japanese greetings to people who spoke Japanese, otherwise I might severely mess up the grammar.

I'm going to assume, but I'm guessing most other people feel the same way. Speaking broken / basic parts of a language isn't really attractive, and hard to understand from both sides of the fence. D:

Yeah it's mostly that. They know some, since it's a required language to learn, like in many countries now, but they don't know it that well. Also, many Japanese have talked about how they aren't exposed to as often. Less signs and english speakers so it can be hard to learn. Like here in California, since there is a high Latino population, a lot of people know some Spanish without really studying it thoroughly due to exposure. Imagine areas where they do study and are exposed.

For some reason I found Korea a bit more English friendly for some reason. Either way, people are pretty nice to me when I speak their language, but speak in English sometimes too. We're all learning lol

__
    You know, this might be slower, but I think I'd want to level both an arcanist and lancer at the same time. It would be hard to keep them around the same level, but I want to choice of doing the story quests on both classes.