I think you are underestimating the amount of damage reduction paladins bring to the table. Warriors do better damage and excel at aoe but they take more damage up front and have less mitigation cooldowns. Sure warriors have a ton of health and can just face tank some big hits but there are hps and mana limits on healers. Warriors slashing resistance debuff also buffs paladin dps while paladin str debuff lowers the Warriors damage intake. They work best as a pair filling their respective roles as the MT/OT.

As far as being boring...I don't think there's any argument to be had in the paladins defense here. 123123123123

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, what're the major flat damage reduction cooldowns pallies get? Sentinel and Rampart? They have higher uptime than anything warriors get (Inner Beast/Infuriate and Vengeance), and Sentinel has 10% over Vengeance, but the difference is surprisingly minor. I think the biggest DR boost pallies get over warriors is simply the shield, though I'm pretty surprised Bulwark has a 180 sec cooldown while skills like Rampart only have 90 sec.

Any idea if bonus attributes are applied in PvP? I haven't seen anything that says the extra 30 stat points are removed while in PvP areas.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    They ALSO get Warriors umm what was it...Welll the first Marauder CD as well(been sick so am dumb lol)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    The differences don't seem enormous... warriors actually have a lot of pure damage reduction with Vengeance and Inner Beast providing flat damage reduction, and Storm's Path reducing damage dealt by the enemy. Seems like block is the primary advantage pallies get now.
    Forgive me if this isn't hugely related to what you're discussing as I haven't played ff14 in awhile but, I think the major difference between paladin and warrior is not the shield but shield oath. I can't remember specifically what passives warriors have but having a 20% dmg reduction passively is pretty huge I think.

On another note, does anyone have any idea when 2.4 is set to release?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    The differences don't seem enormous...
    Take it from a Whitemage: The difference is noticeable.

I'm not sure if it's been posted here already but I figured it's worth sharing:

http://imgur.com/a/FTVut

Basically the next three dungeons will be Satasha (Hard), The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Hard) and a completely new dungeon called Snowcloak which if I recall correctly is the frozen waterfall area in Coerthas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    They ALSO get Warriors umm what was it...Welll the first Marauder CD as well(been sick so am dumb lol)
    Foresight, +20% Defense. It's not an amazing skill and it's got a 2 min cd for pallies since they don't get the trait that reduces it to 90 sec. Warriors definitely get the better end of the deal by getting Convalescence.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    Basically the next three dungeons will be [...] The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Hard) [...]
    http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

I hate Quarn. >.<

Just tested ultima hard with randoms... hilarious how bad they are at moving...
    Last edited by Granyala; 2014-09-21 at 10:29 PM.

Yes, Paladin have Shield Oath which is a 24/7 20% damage reduction. Compared to warriors they also bring strength down (10%), Bulwark (60% block chance), Rampart (20% damage reduction), Sentinel (40% damage reduction) and Hallowed Ground (Immune to nearly all damage barring certain super boss mechanics to prevent breaking fights). It's honestly not even close in the mitigation department, that's not to say warriors can't tank they just require more healing attention and mana to do so. Which is why they bring more dps and superior AoE threat/damage.

Speaking of randoms Granyala, I just did a low level roulette to level my CNJ now that my paladin and black mage are both ilvl 90+. Well, tried two low level dungeons anyway. First was Sastasha and the tank was half naked, and in the slots they weren't naked they wore disciple of war gear and a friendship circlet. In Hauke manor I had a marad that used sprint nearly on CD to get between packs then just auto attacked while I CNJ tanked. The marad got both the commendations from the dps and was specifically told he was a good tank. Yeesh, it was an interesting night. Luckily CNJ tanks anything before Longstop just fine :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm only lvl 34 on my WHM but I've always had a far easier time healing warriors than I have paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    I'm only lvl 34 on my WHM but I've always had a far easier time healing warriors than I have paladins.
    Paladins don't get shield oath until level 40, before then they're pretty much warriors with less health and a small block chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing to remember is defiance DOES grant a 25% increase in healing spells effectiveness. Essentially meaning the ssme spell does more for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    One thing to remember is defiance DOES grant a 25% increase in healing spells effectiveness. Essentially meaning the ssme spell does more for them.
    But what we were talking about was pure dmg mitigation so that's not really relevant. In the end I believe they are both viable but paladins are definitely stronger in the mitigation department.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    But what we were talking about was pure dmg mitigation so that's not really relevant. In the end I believe they are both viable but paladins are definitely stronger in the mitigation department.
    Agreed just saying warriors do have methods to compensate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I really don't get all the QQ about the prices. 3-5 Mils is no problem in this game.
    Well aren't you lucky =/. I've had a history of always sucking at making any currency in any MMO. I'm a pretty awesome player in terms of PVE, but I can't for the life of me make any gil.

To make matters worse, leveling a craft/gathering is basically like leveling another class. Maybe I've just been coddled by the way WoW works, but I miss being able to just buy a bunch of mats and level a profession in one sitting. I'm not rich in WoW, but I make decent enough gold to get me and 5 alts by.

In FF, gathering seems like such a hassle, making it like a class with different skills, sure it's different, but man... and then crafting, one by one by one by one by one. Mind. Numbing. So send some tips my way lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    Yes, Paladin have Shield Oath which is a 24/7 20% damage reduction. Compared to warriors they also bring strength down (10%), Bulwark (60% block chance), Rampart (20% damage reduction), Sentinel (40% damage reduction) and Hallowed Ground (Immune to nearly all damage barring certain super boss mechanics to prevent breaking fights). It's honestly not even close in the mitigation department, that's not to say warriors can't tank they just require more healing attention and mana to do so. Which is why they bring more dps and superior AoE threat/damage.
    The 20% reduction from Shield Oath is actually weaker than the 25% extra HP from Defiance, because they're both essentially the same thing - reducing all damage taken by 20% is the same as increasing your total health by 20%.

Rage of Halone debuff and Rampart are their big advantages, because Warriors have nothing to compare to the former, and Inner Beast will have holes of activity while Rampart is active for the entire duration (even though Inner Beast has higher theoretical uptime.) Sentinel is better than Vengeance by 10%, but Vengeance is often combined with Bloodthirst for a small amount of reactive healing, and it has a full 60 seconds shorter cooldown. Bulwark is harder to quantify, and I'm not at all sure why it has such a ridiculous 180 sec cooldown.

Hallowed Ground is unquestionably better than any defensive button the Warrior gets (Holmgang is just a weird damned skill that's trying to do too many things at once), and has the cooldown to match.

Speaking of randoms Granyala, I just did a low level roulette to level my CNJ now that my paladin and black mage are both ilvl 90+. Well, tried two low level dungeons anyway. First was Sastasha and the tank was half naked, and in the slots they weren't naked they wore disciple of war gear and a friendship circlet. In Hauke manor I had a marad that used sprint nearly on CD to get between packs then just auto attacked while I CNJ tanked. The marad got both the commendations from the dps and was specifically told he was a good tank. Yeesh, it was an interesting night. Luckily CNJ tanks anything before Longstop just fine :P
    I run into idiotic DPS that don't pay attention to aggro, but that's about it. Healers are sometimes semi-afk (hey, healing's boring as hell) and tanks seem to have issues noticing adds, but otherwise that's about it. When I inevitably get healer aggro I just run to the tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Well aren't you lucky =/. I've had a history of always sucking at making any currency in any MMO. I'm a pretty awesome player in terms of PVE, but I can't for the life of me make any gil.

To make matters worse, leveling a craft/gathering is basically like leveling another class. Maybe I've just been coddled by the way WoW works, but I miss being able to just buy a bunch of mats and level a profession in one sitting. I'm not rich in WoW, but I make decent enough gold to get me and 5 alts by.

In FF, gathering seems like such a hassle, making it like a class with different skills, sure it's different, but man... and then crafting, one by one by one by one by one. Mind. Numbing. So send some tips my way lol.
    Sell stuff on AH -> Your ticket to money.

Yes crafting is ABSURDLY time consuming and at times MEGA boring in this game ... Seriously, have a few movies handy when you macro level this crap!
    Also the high level crafts are hidden behind a MASSIVE RNG based gil sink (overmelds) that makes housing seem like an innocent puppy.

My advice? Get a gatherer to 50 and just sell gathered mats. Might not be glamorous but it nets you a steady income.

Or simply forget crafting exists at all. If you are tank they throw gil at you for running dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of sad the community that seems to praise anyone for assuming the role of the tank, regardless of whether they can actually perform or not.

I got called a dick and was kicked for pointing out we were wiping on an Aurum Vale run because on the last boss the tank took pretty much every bad breath and ate fruit constantly to get rid of the debuffs.

Because bad breath is such a hard ability to avoid, right?

- - - Updated - - -

So here's a random question.

I saw this picture elsewhere and pondered... Is this from a cutscene is there an emote or something to make lalas sit on your shoulder?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So this is going to sound really random, but after playing ArcheAge and getting frustrated at many, many things...I came to the realization that I just wanted to play FFXIV again. Returned to the game this past weekend and it's been enjoyable. Hopefully I can actually stick with it to cap this time so I can see what's going on. I hope they have the Halloween event they had last year because it looks cool.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting so fucking sick of retarded DPS. Literally every time I've been unlucky enough to get the swarmlord guildhest, whether by random or needing to get the bonus XP on a different class, I get an archer that doesn't know how to do anything but mash buttons and turret the boss, so the damn thing takes 10 minutes because the healer's too busy saving the archer's life and me and the other DPS are running around trying to kill the healers before more start spawning.

They don't spawn endlessly, they spawn every time the boss hits a new health threshold. Like six spawn in total, they have like 300 HP and are easy to kill.

But, no, archers are too busy licking the windows to spend five seconds paying any kind of fucking attention so we waste a good 5+ minutes on the last fight.

I swear to god this game would be ten thousand times better if you got a 30 minute tempban from the game for ignoring mechanics in guildhests repeatedly.