Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    I mean, as some one who is pretty well versed in tanking, the only one of the three tanks I really feel needs some serious love is Paladin. When I say this I'm not even talking about Tank balance, Paladin right now is just very flawed compared to the other two tanks they are like a diet DRK who deals significantly less damage, who's two niche's are minor group utility support and better soaking for physical (read auto attack) damage (I guess you could argue that's balance)
    Your analysis is both insightful and reasonable. Thank you for taking to the time to do that. It's nice to see that right in front of you to bring light to an issue.

I think what the others and I were going on about isn't the concept of balance/gameplay among tanks themselves (in which case it's clear that WAR/DRK are fine, you're correct there IMO), but more so the fact that tanking needs more variance in gameplay. When I was a MT, I had to deliberately try to not fall asleep sometimes on probably, 80% of the content in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    To be fair, there's absolutely no reason to not be in Deliverance even if you're "Main" tanking.

*snip* PLD stuff *snip*
    Whenever I MT for Dun Scaith, I find it better to stance dance for Inner Beasts for any of the tankbusters. I pretty much camp Defiance on Scathach and Diabolos, minus the add/intermission phases. Part of that is a PUG healer issue, the other being those latter bosses can hit pretty damn hard. Well-timed IBs almost entertain me as much as Fell Cleave crits...*almost*.

Write up of PLD stuff is spot on. I'm also in the camp of having RA combo off of Fast > Riot and having Fast > Savage > Rage as the enmity combo, period. This would move Goring Blade off as a standalone ability (or I suppose it could remain as an optional ability to combo off of Fast > Riot, but I find a DoT being tied to a combo clunky). Add actual damage as part of the Improved Flash passive and that would essentially clean up any damage output issues for PLD. One downside to all these changes is that PLD would be a mirror of DRK in terms of single target offensive abilities.

On the defensive side of the coin...anyone remember the benchmark for Heavensward? Toward the end of it, as the PCs battle Nidhogg, the PLD among them blocks a fireball with Sheltron. Where did that go? Put that shit in; let the Sheltron buff either block the next physical attack or reduce the next magic hit by 20% (essentially allow that specific buff to block spells). Even more comedic would be if it worked as a spell reflect (an ability I LOVED on my warrior in WoW for years), but that might be going a bit too far.

If they were to implement all of such things (minus that spell reflect thing; that's totally a pipe dream of mine), I'd be seriously considering PLD as my primary tank job. Lately I run DRK for dungeons and WAR for 24 man stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wohoo, finally hit 60 on my monk.
    Only Ninja and Mech remain.

My new birdie. His name is Donkey.

Apparently I'm scum for leaving after getting it yet the PF for the group made no mention of having to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

My new birdie. His name is Donkey.

Apparently I'm scum for leaving after getting it yet the PF for the group made no mention of having to stay.
    Grats; how many left for Firebird? I'm down to Sephirot and Zurv as the last ones I need. May make a push for the former this weekend.

Regarding bailing on the group, I try to stick around for a few runs after I get a bird, but sometimes you end up ungodly lucky, beat a 97 with a 99, then the group leader (who wasn't the person that rolled 97) decides to shut it down for the night. I'm scared shitless that karma is gonna catch up to me, but if it simply means losing on DS gear for glamour (a habit I've recently stumbled upon), I'll gladly deal with that if it means I roll 90+ on mount drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Grats; how many left for Firebird? I'm down to Sephirot and Zurv as the last ones I need. May make a push for the former this weekend.

Regarding bailing on the group, I try to stick around for a few runs after I get a bird, but sometimes you end up ungodly lucky, beat a 97 with a 99, then the group leader (who wasn't the person that rolled 97) decides to shut it down for the night. I'm scared shitless that karma is gonna catch up to me, but if it simply means losing on DS gear for glamour (a habit I've recently stumbled upon), I'll gladly deal with that if it means I roll 90+ on mount drops.
    Tbh my rule of thumb is if the group doesn't say anything in PF and whatnot then I shouldn't have to. I mean if they fancy taking over my subscription for me then sure I'll stick around.

I don't think I'll end up getting Firebird before Stormblood. Need Sephis, Sophias, Nidhoggs and Thordans. Thordans isn't an issue but I haven't done Sephi and Nidhogg at all and Sophia I'm super fuzzy on.

Tbh my rule of thumb is if the group doesn't say anything in PF and whatnot then I shouldn't have to. I mean if they fancy taking over my subscription for me then sure I'll stick around.

I don't think I'll end up getting Firebird before Stormblood. Need Sephis, Sophias, Nidhoggs and Thordans. Thordans isn't an issue but I haven't done Sephi and Nidhogg at all and Sophia I'm super fuzzy on.
    It also depends on how smooth the runs are going, too; my friend had a shitshow of a group back when he did Thordan, got the mount on second or third kill, then promptly gtfo. The Sophia group I was in was okay, but not super duper, either (and running that as BLM was a dumb idea on my part...IMO better go to as a melee).

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I mean If I said I wanted to prune Tempered Will from Paladins, what do you think @dope_danny and other biased fanboys would say to me?

"You just want FF14 to be WoW by gutting all utility even if its a button I never push, or that less than 4% of all content would even benefit having the skill."

I suggested a solution earlier. Make Sheltron have the Tempered Will effect. Now that ability has some additional niche use, retains its original purpose, and is slightly stronger, and I cleaned up a free button. You could even take this type of design paradigm one step further by building it out as a trait. Have traits unlock (I would personally make it content participation based, not level based to add some horizontal progression) and empower existing skills by adding new effects or replacing older weaker effects.
    Well, there's two ways of looking at button bloat. You can have a lot of abilities which you rarely use. Or you can have many abilities which you use a lot. Like if you have a regular 5-button rotation and 5 situational abilities, is that better or worse than having a 9-button rotation with 1 situational ability.

Tempered Will isn't used a lot, true. But it's also not a big issue either. You put it on your bars and forget about it until a fight comes along which needs it. But adding extra DoTs or boosts to the main rotation makes normal gameplay more complicated.

For example, getting rid of Royal Authority (maybe folding it into Rage of Halone) would do far more for reducing PLD button bloat than getting rid of Tempered Will. Reducing the number of buttons you need to regularly press can be more important than reducing the number of buttons on your bars.

I don't suppose anybody here knows if it's possible to purchase a FC house if you already own a personal house?

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I don't suppose anybody here knows if it's possible to purchase a FC house if you already own a personal house?
    You can definitely do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    You can definitely do this.
    Ah, thanks! Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    While this statement is true, I don't like it.

With regards to DoT's. That's not something every class needs to have 2 of. That's not a tool IMO. A tool would be a form of utility; something like all classes having a stun. Same thing with regards to the damage up maintenance buff. Not every class needs one of them. That's not a tool.

Personally I don't mind a little homogenization as long as the aesthetics are notably different.

Agreed. I have been saying this for a while.

I know, he has me on ignore so I tend to call him out when I get a chance. He may not know that he's a biased goober, but I'll do what I can to make sure others see it.

Good analysis on the base abilities/DoTs. I long suspected this to be the case, but never did the analysis. Definitely an area for improvement.

As a DRG main here are the problems as I see them:

Life Surge is only ever used on 1 button. Therefore there is no choice, therefore it isn't terribly interesting. It's nice that it is useful (to guarantee burst damage), but there's definitely room for improvement to make this more impactful/important baked into other ability (to organically deliver burst on demand).

Power Surge is dumb. You just use it again on Jump and nothing else so there's no choice. You could bake this effect into almost anything else and it would be fine. I.e. Successfully casting Chaos Thrust combo grants Power Surge increasing the damage of your next Jump category skill by x%. This solution isn't terribly good, but you can build things organically rather than via an unnecessary button press.

Battle Litany is fine, It's not my favorite (boring, but it's fine).

Internal Release should die. Useless.

B4B should honestly die. Dmg up effect should be baking into other cooldowns/base damage.

Blood of the Dragon is the example of a good DPS cooldown. I covered this earlier in this thread, but it's fun to press, adds abilities you didn't have access to before, grants damage bonuses, and is aesthetically pleasing/unique.

As far as traits go, they're pretty lackluster at the moment. Just useless passives that could just be the base effects. I'd argue that traits should do more exciting things.

This is a good point. If the do streamline the ability count, I'm just not sure how they're going to add so many new abilities. Unless that means they're going to go the super safe route, which isn't good IMO.

I mean If I said I wanted to prune Tempered Will from Paladins, what do you think @dope_danny and other biased fanboys would say to me?

"You just want FF14 to be WoW by gutting all utility even if its a button I never push, or that less than 4% of all content would even benefit having the skill."

I suggested a solution earlier. Make Sheltron have the Tempered Will effect. Now that ability has some additional niche use, retains its original purpose, and is slightly stronger, and I cleaned up a free button. You could even take this type of design paradigm one step further by building it out as a trait. Have traits unlock (I would personally make it content participation based, not level based to add some horizontal progression) and empower existing skills by adding new effects or replacing older weaker effects.

I honestly don't think it's purposeful. I think they're just afraid to take risks on the combat system. IMO of course.
    So people who debate or disagree with your opinions are "fanboys"?

I think Blood for Blood should stay personally. It offers decent damage increase atm and the penalty is fine. Am I fanboy because I said that? Hmmmm? I also think Internal Release should stay as Crit is a viable stat for a lot of Jobs and that the value it offers could be increased to at least 15-20% baseline.

Also on the second bolded point just no. People here have said they want useless skills removed. I'm all for the Thunder rework and hell while they are at it get rid of Freeze or make it a PvP talent because I sure as shit have never used it in a PvE situation other than when I was new and had no idea it was worthless.

You want an actual discussion then fine. Don't go calling people who don't agree with you fanboys. It's a weak and petulant argument and gives you no moral high ground here whatsoever.

And as for Tempered Will. Merge it into a defensive as you said. Problem solved. As for other Paladin issues. Shield Oath at 30 instead of 40. Tank issues in general. Rework low level tanking and give them a Mini Defiance and Shield Oath buff that becomes the respective abilities at 30. Because low level tanking is abominable.

Also I genuinely hope while there isn't too much of a bloat they don't remove too much either. I'm not bashing WoW here but I like having a lot of buttons to press and a few of my specs in WoW are just not fun to play. Of course I like them to be useful and not just there for bloat which some abilities in FF14 are. Since they said we should end up with around the same amount of abilities at 70 in Stormblood as we had in Heavensward I'm OK with that as long as they dump useless stuff.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-04-27 at 02:34 AM.

Ugh. Having a rough time finding a static to run with.

First one (progressing on A10s) I made totally clear that I was returning and hadn't seen any of the "current fights" in person. They seemed rather upset that I didn't pick up the mechanics in 2-3 tries, and decided to look for another healer.

Second one (progressing on A11s) was kind of a similar situation, but they seemed to have 2 people that constantly messed up and were made excuses for, whereas I was given the boot.

Third one, I get A11s/A12s down with (they had better players than static #2 and explained things better), but the leader pops up 30min before raid time with a message that some of their friends/ex-static members are returning.

Fourth one seems pretty impressed by me (compared to their previous healer, at least), but feels like they have a couple of screw-ups that are excused as well.

Yeugh...just needed to vent.

So people who debate or disagree with your opinions are "fanboys"?

I think Blood for Blood should stay personally. It offers decent damage increase atm and the penalty is fine. Am I fanboy because I said that? Hmmmm? I also think Internal Release should stay as Crit is a viable stat for a lot of Jobs and that the value it offers could be increased to at least 15-20% baseline.

Also on the second bolded point just no. People here have said they want useless skills removed. I'm all for the Thunder rework and hell while they are at it get rid of Freeze or make it a PvP talent because I sure as shit have never used it in a PvE situation other than when I was new and had no idea it was worthless.

You want an actual discussion then fine. Don't go calling people who don't agree with you fanboys. It's a weak and petulant argument and gives you no moral high ground here whatsoever.

And as for Tempered Will. Merge it into a defensive as you said. Problem solved. As for other Paladin issues. Shield Oath at 30 instead of 40. Tank issues in general. Rework low level tanking and give them a Mini Defiance and Shield Oath buff that becomes the respective abilities at 30. Because low level tanking is abominable.

Also I genuinely hope while there isn't too much of a bloat they don't remove too much either. I'm not bashing WoW here but I like having a lot of buttons to press and a few of my specs in WoW are just not fun to play. Of course I like them to be useful and not just there for bloat which some abilities in FF14 are. Since they said we should end up with around the same amount of abilities at 70 in Stormblood as we had in Heavensward I'm OK with that as long as they dump useless stuff.

I'd honestly be ok with the amount of buttons if the game just had a better way of guiding you into said rotations. Like with WoW I can use Ovale to pick up on what the preferred rotation is for a class (and use it anyway with my feral main given the feral rotations complexity). That and you have other addons such as WeakAuras to help out. At least I think I recall this being something they are looking to improve upon with Stormbloods UI but otherwise when I look at rotations such as the Summoner on the wiki I just get overwhelmed.
    Last edited by leviathonlx; 2017-04-27 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    At least I think I recall this being something they are looking to improve upon with Stormbloods UI but otherwise when I look at rotations such as the Summoner on the wiki I just get overwhelmed.
    In my experience, the Summoner one isn't actually all that bad. It essentially boils down to stacking your cooldowns, keeping your DoTs up and using Fester ASAP. The only annoying part is having to use Ruin 3 while in Dreadwyrm Trance and Ruin 1/2 when not. Otherwise the Job has a nice rhythm to it and flows very well, even during movement heavy fights.

It only looks bad when you put it in a diagram form because you can precast a lot of your stuff to get off to a good start.

Where the complexity really kicks in is when you start using all your Utility skills as well. Being able to res people as a DPS is a huge benefit to a group, and both Virus and Eye for an Eye are pretty handy to have.

Deleted
    I been playing SUMN last 2 days and once your used to it, its not as bad as it looks. Been enjoying it more then BLM, NIN is main but i really want a range thats fun to do dungs and stuff. Should be able to buy the 260 book tomorrow \o/

10+ Year Old Account
    Went to do some leveling in PotD.

Used Pomander of Rage to clear floor, got cried how I apparently shouldn't use it on trash. Next floor didn't pop it, they cried since I didn't use it.

The heck do these people want from me?

Deleted
    Would it be better to spend script on gear, and start the SMN anima quest for a weapon? I got lots of stuff as i started collecting the bones and stuff for my NIN but never got to the phase?

Got Havensward on PS4 last night so i can chill and play rather then sit at PC. Kinda disapointed how it run, was shitty in Limosa felt like 25FPS and didnt look clean and crisp :|

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    I'd honestly be ok with the amount of buttons if the game just had a better way of guiding you into said rotations. Like with WoW I can use Ovale to pick up on what the preferred rotation is for a class (and use it anyway with my feral main given the feral rotations complexity). That and you have other addons such as WeakAuras to help out. At least I think I recall this being something they are looking to improve upon with Stormbloods UI but otherwise when I look at rotations such as the Summoner on the wiki I just get overwhelmed.
    They introduce them in such a way that I've not had trouble figuring out rotations in XIV. The only time I've been "wtf are all this, wtf do?!" was leveling via PotD where I had things flung at me left and right. I had to sit there at the end before leaving and look over tool tips more to figure things out.

Most rotations seem more complicated on paper than they are once you start using them, but as people have noted, Yoshida feels they got too complicated in HW and the ceiling got too far from the floor, so they'll be simplifying some of it to raise the floor and narrow the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Logie View Post
    Would it be better to spend script on gear, and start the SMN anima quest for a weapon? I got lots of stuff as i started collecting the bones and stuff for my NIN but never got to the phase?

Got Havensward on PS4 last night so i can chill and play rather then sit at PC. Kinda disapointed how it run, was shitty in Limosa felt like 25FPS and didnt look clean and crisp :|
    That's odd, I've only heard positive reviews of the PS4 version from players who swap back and forth between PC max settings and PS4. Can't really think of what might cause the issue, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking of resubbing for a month to finish the story before the expansion comes out. Would it be dumb to farm gear since I imagine some patch will change quest rewards to a higher level in preparation for SB ?

This is my gear situation and I only care about having enough gear to complete the story.

I main as a Marauder/Warrior, but I switched to BLM and have better gear for that

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...racter/8345959

I also have a separate question.

How often do the store mounts go on sale ?

Does Sleipnir ever go on sale ?

Is yes then for how much ?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset