15+ Year Old Account

Looking for a Game.

It has been a long time since I played a good strategy game that I really enjoyed (except for SC2). I'm looking for a strategy game (real time or turn base doesn't matter) that is as well made as Warcraft3, Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Jagged Alliance, ....

I hear good things about Shogun series but I have not tried them yet. Has there been any good strategy game that worth playing lately?

Edit: I think I should have clarified a bit. I'm looking for a strategy game with a good story to back it up. "Joan of Arc" story in AoE was great imo. WC3 and SC obviously have great plots. This is a big factor for me to enjoy a game.
    Last edited by Deleo; 2011-11-02 at 09:58 AM.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

10+ Year Old Account
    One that I enjoy (partly because it's star wars) is Star Wars: Empire at War. You may not like it, as it works differently to other RTS games I've played. It is from 2006 though... Can't say anything about the Shogun series as I have not played it. Anyway, Empire at War is a good game, and I think you would enjoy it.

i would suggets looking into a paradox grand strategy game like europa universalis 3 hearts of iron 3 or victoria 2 great in depth historical strategy games

The Total War series? Civilization?

10+ Year Old Account
    if you want something different, try sins of a solar empire. Great space-based strategy game
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for your replies.

Star Wars: Empire at War.
    I did enjoy that game few years ago Thanks for reminding me of it.

The Total War series? Civilization?
    I know Civilization doesn't offer any real story except "go kick ass". How is Total War series on this matter? I've heard good thing about the game but I fear it is just one of those "go be a great empire" games like Civilization.

sins of a solar empire
    Sci-Fi + RTS = need to check out

europa universalis 3
    hearts of iron 3
    victoria 2
    These seems to have potential. How close to reality are those games?
    Last edited by Deleo; 2011-11-02 at 11:06 AM.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Total War is more about commanding your units in real-time battle. There is some empire management, but is more about combat.

Hearts of Iron is WW2. The other two I have not played.

You could go for Homeworld and Homeworld 2 if you have not yet partaken, older now but quite fun, but full of story, especially the campaign.

If you want the original, you could go back to Total Annihilation. (Insert fanboy memory here).

Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    These seems to have potential. How close to reality are those games?

well to be honest i never played much of hearts of iron which is set in world war two but europa universalis depending on the mode you play can be downright educational at some points lol. Eu3 is set between 1399 and 1819 or around those and you can chose any country in the world. it's very in depth and has a steep learning curve but its so much fun

also if you never played it id highly suggets you try majesty 2 or the first one if you can stomach the graphics just pure genius in rts innovation its too hard to explain just look at a video of it... also if you like strategy mixed with some sims id really suggest you try tropico 3 id suggest not playing 4 before you play 3 .
    Last edited by Bigitybones; 2011-11-02 at 10:54 AM.

I enjoyed the Warhammer dawn of war series. And if ur into Age of empires, age of mythology (made by the same people) is not half bad. Its rather old for now, but it has slightly better graphics then AoE2.

Deleted
    A Classic one would be: The Battle for The Middle Earth III...

I enjoyed that game for a while, but i guess it requires you to like The Lord of The Rings plot..
    Stronghold is actually quite fun, but with that said, the interest for it may fade very quickly...
    I also used to play Command and Conquer: Generals -With Mod Toaster 2.0 - It is really fun with Mod Toaster, but the mod never worked with Windows vista..

If none of these are of your interest i hope you find something to have fun with.. I myself need a good game to play, but i am more to the MMO genre.. So i will be waiting for Guild Wars 2...

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, you never played a Warhammer: Dawn of War game ?!? Get it asap, HERETIC!!
    I have played the game. It kinda felt like a SC ripoff with no real story. I know many people think of it as a great game but for me it was just good enough not to drop it midway. HERETIC reference made me laugh though

well to be honest i never played much of hearts of iron which is set in world war two but europa universalis depending on the mode you play can be downright educational at some points lol. Eu3 is set between 1399 and 1819 or around those and you can chose any country in the world. it's very in depth and has a steep learning curve but its so much fun
    If they are close or can actually teach me anything then I will definitely give them a try. It is good to learn few things while enjoying a game.

And if ur into Age of empires, age of mythology (made by the same people) is not half bad. Its rather old for now, but it has slightly better graphics then AoE2.
    Yep Mythology was a decent game. I loved the ending very much.

you might want to give Age of Empires Online a try.
    Is that Travian with better graphics? Does it have any main plot or are you supposed to, simply, turn your village into the greatestest empire of all times?

A Classic one would be: The Battle for The Middle Earth III...

I enjoyed that game for a while, but i guess it requires you to like The Lord of The Rings plot..
    Stronghold is actually quite fun, but with that said, the interest for it may fade very quickly...
    I also used to play Command and Conquer: Generals -With Mod Toaster 2.0 - It is really fun with Mod Toaster, but the mod never worked with Windows vista..
    Damn ... Command & Conquer series /nostalgyface . If the newly released games are as good as the ones we had few years ago I can see myself really liking those games. Will definitely try them out.

I myself need a good game to play, but i am more to the MMO genre.. So i will be waiting for Guild Wars 2...
    I am an RPG gamer myself but occasionally find something interesting in RTS and action-adventure genre. The line between the genres are somehow fading imo. In some genres faster than others.

P.S. Some of these references to old games is reminding me of some of the best times of my life. Dune 2000, Commandos (WTB a sequel) .... I didn't realize I've been playing computer games for 16 years now
    Last edited by Deleo; 2011-11-02 at 05:38 PM.

You should've named the thread ''Looking for a RTS game''. I can recommand you any C&C game, they have great stories, specially the first ones are the best. I can also recommand the Total War series, simply epix

Age of empires online is actually rather good. Its Age of empires 2 with LoL(league of legends) graphics. Its nothing like the f2p crappy games u refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post

I am an RPG gamer myself but occasionally find something interesting in RTS and action-adventure genre. The line between the genres are somehow fading imo. In some genres faster than the other.
    If you're looking for an RPG and action-adventure which you seem to enjoy as well, you really need to check out the Witcher 2. Great story, lot of replayability, very immersive. Also not one of those cookie cutter you're the hero doing good deeds type of things. You routinely have to make hard decisions that are both in the gray area of morality, and your choices have a definite impact on how things play out the rest of the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should've named the thread ''Looking for a RTS game''. I can recommand you any C&C game, they have great stories, specially the first ones are the best. I can also recommand the Total War series, simply epix
    I used to play them until WoW got to beta phase. At that point I stopped playing C&C series. Definitely worth picking up though. Thanks for reminding me.

Age of empires online is actually rather good. Its Age of empires 2 with LoL(league of legends) graphics. Its nothing like the f2p crappy games u refer to.
    Did more research on the game after your post. It seems to be a good game, I'm just worried I end up paying too much for all those premium services. Egypt and Persia are my favorite ancient civilizations

If you're looking for an RPG and action-adventure which you seem to enjoy as well, you really need to check out the Witcher 2. Great story, lot of replayability, very immersive. Also not one of those cookie cutter you're the hero doing good deeds type of things. You routinely have to make hard decisions that are both in the gray area of morality, and your choices have a definite impact on how things play out the rest of the game.
    That is a sick game indeed. I finished The Witcher a while back. Now I'm playing Darksiders. Sick game if you are into action adventures, it has some sort of RPG feeling into it as well as you need to improve your character and equipment. I Will definitely pick up Witcher 2 after this one.
    Last edited by Deleo; 2011-11-03 at 06:47 AM.

I would have to say Warhammer: Dawn of War/Winter Assault/Dark Crusade. I really didn't enjoy Soulstorm too much due to the flying weaponry totally ruining the feel of security in one's base. Getting the expansions should be cheap now, it's a fairly old game.

Dunno if this counts, but id try Dragon Age: Origins at higher level difficulties
    Bane

10+ Year Old Account
    I was about to suggest Sins of a Solar Empire until I saw you wanted a story behind it. Sins is some of the most fun I've had in an rts game but sadly the only story you get is in the manual, that is if you even get the manual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all for your replies.

It is sad that there hasn't been any game like WC3 or AoE2. Still I have few games to check out thanks to you guys.