Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are DE going to be like Hyjal trash?

In watching many of the developer walkthrough videos and gameplay videos online, the recurring theme of 'waves of mobs' concerns me. DE initially sounded like a fun alternative to traditional questing, but the more I see the more it seems like DE mainly consist of sitting in a area and killing constant respawns, an activity that will get old fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

/thread

They will most likely be a lot like Rift DEs in actual practice. DEs are said to scale proportional to player numbers but so do Rift's DEs. The inherent limitation is that it's open world content open to... well, anyone.

Probably will be just kinda killing things and occasionally collecting/clicking things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Probably will be just kinda killing things and occasionally collecting/clicking things.
    You're judging dynamic events by what we've seen in levels 1 to 3.

From what I know, not even close.

Hyjal trash was static. You had X waves, that always included the same number of enemies and the enemies were always the same (mind you, I think that was the most fun raid instance btw, might have been because I raided as a prot paladin so I got a lot of action there). The events in GW2 will scale with the number of players involved, and seem to be more than just "kill X". There are specific objectives (protect X, put out fires, ect.) as well. I mean, you're going to be killing things to level anyways, it's just how the killing is presented that matters.

Well from what I have seen of the dynamic events, there were more than one way to complete an objective. I'm having trouble understanding the question here as I don't know what "Hyjal trash" is. In addition the dynamic events are so varied that you can't really pigeon hole them all into one way of playing.

Edit: just saw post above. so the hyal trash are just wave encounters? kind of like a gauntlet eh. While I'm sure there are some events like that there are a lot more variations of different things going on in these events.

Deleted
    They will most likely be a lot like Rift DEs in actual practice. DEs are said to scale proportional to player numbers but so do Rift's DEs. The inherent limitation is that it's open world content open to... well, anyone.

There nothing like Rift DE's, they are actually dynamic in the way they work.

Rifts don't scale, you get a fixed number of mobs to kill, only an invasion had loads of mobs depending on how many players where in the area.

We've only seen level 1-2 starter DE's + a couple of high level ones, and two elite ones. Even from them you can see it's nothing like MH trash nor Rifts "DE".

Here's a tidbit from the official website, you can read more here: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ents-overview/

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.guildwars2.com
    Dynamic events evolve and cascade across the world in response to how you, the player, interact with them, leaving persistent effects in the game world. Will you save that village or let it burn? The choice rests with you and your fellow players.

The Dynamic Event system in Guild Wars 2 is built to be scalable and encourage impromptu group play where players are naturally cooperating together and not worried about encroaching on each other. The more the merrier!
    Decide for yourself if DEs are what you want after reading the article. If you need more proof, we've seen 90% of what's discussed on the website in the demos already so it's not just marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    No.

/thread
    Honestly, this. Watch some gameplay videos, you'll see that it is not even remotely the case. Even in TB's videos you can see quite a bit of variety in both the low level and high level walkthrough DEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    If you need more proof, we've seen 90% of what's discussed on the website in the demos already so it's not just marketing.
    That's what's great about GW2 compared to... certain... other... games. There is a myriad of demo videos and discussions available to see that mostly everything they say isn't just a PR move.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    In watching many of the developer walkthrough videos and gameplay videos online, the recurring theme of 'waves of mobs' concerns me. DE initially sounded like a fun alternative to traditional questing, but the more I see the more it seems like DE mainly consist of sitting in a area and killing constant respawns, an activity that will get old fast.
    DE's can have multiple different ways to progress it. Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...EYGE8hs#t=367s , doesn't look like hyjal trash. Here is another video of small event that leads another event http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...i14H6Ag#t=626s

When you failed with hyjal trash you didn't get another event, but just reset and do it again from beginning. In GW2 when you fail event it can lead to another event(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post

Rifts don't scale, you get a fixed number of mobs to kill, only an invasion had loads of mobs depending on how many players where in the area.

We've only seen level 1-2 starter DE's + a couple of high level ones, and two elite ones. Even from them you can see it's nothing like MH trash nor Rifts "DE".
    Rift's DEs and individual mobs do scale.

What doesn't happen in Rift is a level 30 mob in a L30 zone zooming to 52 because a few 50s are around. But the DEs are reactive the player density, zone and progression stage. So, yea.

I doubt we are gonna have truly complex mechanics in the open world in later stages either.

Wait and see, meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post

Actually.... Rifts DEs DO scale, just not in the same way, in rift scaling meant more creatures and seemed to have a low cap on how far it scaled, where GW2's are said to scale in both #s of mobs as well as the strength of them, what moves they use and how often etc etc.

@OP can you please explain hyjal trash? I'm not very familiar with that term... Do you mean like with hyjal quests? Or raids? Is this even a reference to wow?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    It's already been said, but I wanted to say it again; No. Also Rift ''DE''s are a lot different from Gw2.

Deleted

Rift have holy trinity so it is hard to make truly dynamic events because added random number of different roles in event area. For example what happens if 10 healers, 0 tanks and 5 dps show up for an event? Rift also got gear progression, which make it even harder to develop challenging dynamic events as players progress in gear. GW2 don't have holy trinity so scaling event should lot more manageable and there is side kick system so that character power wont completely trivialize event.
    Last edited by mmoca7d06c4104; 2011-11-08 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    I would say it's more like the phased quest areas in WoW without the phasing... Instead, a web of DE's or steps will alter the mob spawning (and I hope, geography) in various areas...

It's their solution to a common complaint about massives being massive (static, unlike single player RPGs). Blizzards solution was phasing, so naturally they share some functionality and ideology. Hopefully DE's will be as interesting and story progressing (unlikely, as it doesn't prevent immersion breaking as well).

-Alamar

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    Rift have holy trinity so it is hard to make truly dynamic events because added random number of different roles in event area. For example what happens if 10 healers, 0 tanks and 5 dps show up for an event? Rift also got gear progression, which make it even harder to develop challenging dynamic events as players progress in gear. GW2 don't have holy trinity so scaling event should lot more manageable and there is side kick system so that character power wont completely trivialize event.
    True to an extent.

However, even without a trinity system and gear disparity DE encounters can't be dependent on responsibly to allies. So showing up & doing well enough to progress the event stage is all that will most likely be needed for wins. Doubtful we will see mechanics that require players to have situational awareness or play with above average excellence or wipe surrounding allies due to poor play.

You really can't have an encounter in the open world where Sally Standsinfire is able to destroy the encounter's progress due to poor play. Since any Sally or Joe can walk up to a DE there is only so much complexity, skill, preparedness and awareness any open world encounter can demand of players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Comparing GW2 to WoW in any shape or form is fruitless. You'd have better luck comparing it to UO.

Deleted
    True to an extent.

However, even without a trinity system and gear disparity DE encounters can't be dependent on responsibly to allies. So showing up & doing well enough to progress the event stage is all that will most likely be needed for wins. Doubtful we will see mechanics that require players to have situational awareness or play with above average excellence or wipe surrounding allies due to poor play.

You really can't have an encounter in the open world where Sally Standsinfire is able to destroy the encounter's progress due to poor play. Since any Sally or Joe can walk up to a DE there is only so much complexity, skill, preparedness and awareness any open world encounter can demand of players.
    That's a very narrow point of view. Of course most of the DEs will be simple by nature because they are replacing quests - which in every game are dead easy. I'm sure "leveling" DEs will be no different and will involve some easy task/goals to complete.

Then again there WILL be major DE chains which will require not only completion of one event but few (in different parts of the zone) to trigger the one final event - and I can promise you that those will not only be difficult but very complex. It may require cooperation of not one, but few guilds also.

Please remember that both undead boss DE and shatterer were severely nerfed for the purpose of demonstration. I can guarantee that those encounters will be impossible to complete for random zerg'atron.
    Last edited by mmocbaf9e94c6f; 2011-11-08 at 11:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop comparing this game to wow, it will never end well.

True to an extent.

They have said the events scale with participation not just raw numbers. If Sally Standsinfire runs in, hits a monster and dies in a few seconds she will add at most an insignificant uptic in difficulty that will scale back down shortly there after. This is partly to ensure that one inept person in the open world cant spoil the event for others as well as ensuring AFK's and non participants are not counted agianst the active participants. Now if you have a situation where 20 folks show up and 10 of them do OK but wipe to standing in fire 30 seconds in the dificulty may have scaled up high enough to wipe the remaining 10 good players before it scales back down agian. That is a danger but not that likely IMO. More likely DE's will fail most often to either nobody being there or folks just flat out ignoreing key mechanics for long enough that it times out. one or two bads will just be labled as non participants and ignored by the scaleing.

Who is John Galt?