Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Will there be "Hit rating" and "Expertise" in GW2?

Was there something like that in GW1?

I just personally love games where your character trains as you go forward, and when they reach max level, are pro enough to handle their weapons and hit their targets....in WoW, for example, you level through 84 levels to reach the max, and then you STILL do not know how to handle weapons and hit targets....it's like..what? I just despise the feeling of reaching 85 and then knowing I'll have to balance stats around hit and/or expertise, instead of just getting gear and balance the FUN parts (crit, haste and so on).

So..anyone know? Will we have to balance hit and expertise-type of stats in GW2 as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.

GW2 attributes are:
    Power — increases attack
    Precision — increases critical hit chance
    Toughness — increases defense
    Vitality — increases maximum health

15+ Year Old Account
    Sucks indeed, only thing casters need is spell hit and only need spell pen for PVP and you get that from 1 cloak anyway so don't need to reforge whereas melee need hit, exp and even when you DW you miss ALOT of autos aswell, they need to rework spell pen so it's the caster equivelant of expertise, never played GW so can't answer your question just agreeing with you that wow stats are shit

Deleted
    Agree, missing a level 80 mob while being level 20 is acceptable. Being level 80 and having to worry about hit, expertise, spell pen etc. is just annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat is dynamic so the only thing you need to do to hit a target is be aiming at them and in range... unless they do a barrel roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

all this comparing against WoW.

YOU FLIP THAT TABLE!

And I agree with what Blznsmri said, I think that's the closest to 'hit rating / expertise' you'll be getting
    Also, I agree that WoW's endgame stats suck. If I go below 27 Expertise on my Fury Warrior, my dps is cut in half. 9k on Shannox is unacceptable, even as melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Vafiveh View Post
    YOU FLIP THAT TABLE!

And I agree with what Blznsmri said, I think that's the closest to 'hit rating / expertise' you'll be getting
    Also, I agree that WoW's endgame stats suck. If I go below 27 Expertise on my Fury Warrior, my dps is cut in half. 9k on Shannox is unacceptable, even as melee.
    I should hope that was an exaggeration, my warrior did more than that on shannox when she was well under hit/expertise cap and wearing an heirloom helm.

Anyways.. I'm not sure how much I agree with this thread. One side of my brain is like, "BUH. Stat balancing is laaaame." Then the other side of it (perhaps the larger side.. maybe too much WoW?) is like "BUH. Mindlessly putting everything into one stat!" I mean, if nothing else it's helpful for seeing if someone has a basic understanding of their character.. which is always a helpful thing to know it advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Anyways.. I'm not sure how much I agree with this thread. One side of my brain is like, "BUH. Stat balancing is laaaame." Then the other side of it (perhaps the larger side.. maybe too much WoW?) is like "BUH. Mindlessly putting everything into one stat!" I mean, if nothing else it's helpful for seeing if someone has a basic understanding of their character.. which is always a helpful thing to know it advance.
    Instead of using DPS and stat placement to show that a person has a basic understanding of their character, people not three or four times a fight will show that they do. Guild Wars 2 combat isn't rotation/ priority system reliant. It's dynamic because the player has to react to damage, mobs, and mechanics in ways that, let's say, a fury warrior wouldn't. A Fury's primary job is to do retarded amounts of damage and the spec really doesn't offer much more than that, they can't kite as well as a ranged class, they can't tank very much at all, they can't mitigate damage for them (without switching weapons and popping shield wall) or the group, and they can't provide any healing for the group (bandages don't really count...). In Guild Wars 2, every profession will be able to do all that to an extent and that's why they don't need 10 different stats where each class only uses like 5...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

I'm glad these stats don't exist in GW2. The less min/maxing to magic numbers, the better imo. There's little thought behind it aside from the theorycrafting on EJ and the like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ewwwww I hope they don't have those! I hate having to have a perfect hit rating to do any dmg in WoW..so lame! I am against it.

When you hit somethng you hit it, and if the weapon arc is big enough everything around it.
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    That won't happen. If you put all your points in power, you'll never crit and you'll die the very second you take damage/degeneration due to low toughness and low vitality. And the same goes for 'if you put all your points in X then .... '.

There won't be stats like that due to how the combat works. WoW is dependent upon dice rolls. GW2 is dependent upon your movement (and the opponents movement).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vafiveh View Post
    YOU FLIP THAT TABLE!

the dodge cap is actually 26, generally you have no use for that 27th point since you would be standing behind the boss.

I like that GW2's attributes are somewhat uniform. Instead of all that unwieldy nonsense of Spell Hit, Spell Crit, Spell Pen in addition to Str, Int, Expertise, Hit, etc. Always wanted a dev to make it so all stats had a value to players regardless of class/archetype. Attributes should be tailored to YOUR goals.

I've always wondered why MMO's insisted on stats like hit rateing. Seriously if your swinging your sword at a boss the size of a small house how inept do you have to be to not even hit him? I can understand a blow glancing off his armor but to miss altogeather? I could buy it if you were trying to hit a baseball with wings that was activly trying to dodge you but if you need a magical boost to hit the broadside of a barn heaven help you. That said GW2 you the player is responsible for ensuring you are positioned so the swing of your weapon can connect with the target to land a hit. Not some invisible pair of dice nor a magic chance to hit stat, just your own skill.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    I always hated hit rating. Soo annoying I had to stack hit when I only wanted critical strike rating

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there is no auto attack, and you can swing at the air with your abilities. Your skill is your hit rating.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I've always wondered why MMO's insisted on stats like hit rateing.
    It's a dice roll mechanic. It still harkens back to table top role playing games.