Thread: 2 monitors

Deleted

2 monitors

Hey
    I noticed there is a thread about this, but it did not covered exactly what I would need to do.
    So here we go:
    I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2gb card, with 2 DVI ports.
    On the motherboard, I also have an integrated Graphic card, with 1 DVI and 1 VGA ports.

Thing is, I am not able to get the 2nd monitor to work, no matter in which ports I connect it to.
    I got an adapter for the DVI to VGA, since the other monitor only has VGA port.

I got the monitor working with the adapter, but only if I connected it to the primary DVI port, the one that Im currently using with my DVI monitor.

Question is:
    Would I be able to use the monitors on 2 different graphic cards? (1 onboard and 1 from the AMD), so I wouldnt have to use the adapter.
    If not, how do I get it work on the secondary DVI port from the AMD graphic card, since Catalyst only detects 1 monitor. If I try doing this from the Windows Control Panel, when I get to the step where I need to apply the settings, Im getting the following error: Unable to save display settings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Typically the onboard is disabled when you insert a graphics card, maybe not, check bios. It sounds like you need to install the latest drivers if the card indeed can support dual displays. Latest drivers meaning download from AMD and not the driver from Microsoft.

Deleted
    Update drivers, you should be able to use ur gfx card to use two monitor.

Deleted
    Ok, I managed to connect them both, by switching the ports.
    But now the problem is that I put the 'good' monitor on 2nd place, and I want it to be the primary monitor.

---------- Post added 2011-11-02 at 02:03 PM ----------

Ok, I did it now, thx all

10+ Year Old Account
    As Brett said the onboard video is typically disabled when you use a discrete graphics card (e.g. Radeon HD 6970) You will also need to connect your screens to the two DVI ports on the discrete card and not to the motherboard (onboard video) Also check in your "desktop settings" that windows is configured to display on both screen and not just 1 screen:

Deleted
    Though, Im still not able to connect 1 monitor to the onboard VGA, and the other to the AMD card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangel7 View Post
    Though, Im still not able to connect 1 monitor to the onboard VGA, and the other to the AMD card.
    You sure can connect it.... it just won't work 8-) because the On-board VGA is disabled by the superior discrete AMD card.

Deleted
    Well this mobo is an asus p8z68 v-pro, and 1 of its features is that it can auto switch between the onboard and the AMD graphic cards, depending on the needs.
    How do I enable that feature? Do I need my monitors to be connected to the Graphic card or onboard?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to use the LicuidVirtu features then you need to have all monitors connected to the on-board. In general it's not much use to be honest unless you have some serious power constraints.
    If your not it's not worth doing due to the huge degradation in performance for applications that do need to use the Graphics Card instead of the on-board video from the increased overheads.

Deleted
    Ok, I will use it like this then, glad I managed to do it.
    Thanks all

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu.html

If you want to know how it works.