[Story] Jake Maxwell

Everything was still, absolutely still. He laid there, eyes closed. The air was hot and dry. A fly buzzed around his head. The sound of boots crunching on gravel woke him and he sat up eyes blinking, squinting against the sun, which was high in the sky. After a moment to gather his senses he realized he was staring down the length of a sword, the tip at his throat.

He looked up at this intruder. The man’s face was wrinkled, and leathery from years in the sun. He was missing several teeth, and had a queer smile across his grisly visage. Another boot scraping the earth behind him, told Jake there was at least two of them. Making no sudden moves, he slowly began to stand up “easy now.” said the man with the sword. “We’ve been looking for you.” said the voice behind him with a distinct accent. “You’ve given us quite a chase, Jake.” He said. Jake turned around and got his first look at the second man. This man looked nothing like the first. He had pale skin. It was smooth, and with no signs of sun damage, which was so common here. He was most certainly the leader. “You see,” the man continued, “After you won the contest, and then embarrassed the boys back in town… well we couldn’t have the locals thinking less of us now could we? We just had to come find you, haul you back, and make an example out of you.” The pale man said with wicked glint in his eye. Several other men chuckled at this last comment.

Jake gazed around taking in his surroundings and noticed several other men of various dispositions and rag tag garb. There were five of them, four near him, and one standing some yards away holding the reins of several horses. He was drinking some clear liquid out of a jar.

Realizing his situation Jake had to think fast. He learned many things over the years since the war, and he’d escaped many situations worse than this, using his wits...
    Last edited by Nexdominus; 2011-11-02 at 08:37 PM.

((Sorry to bother, but if this is a story, would you PM a mod to add a Story tag to the title? That way it is easier for people who read them to find them Or are you planning on building a character Biography out of this? I'm curious either way))

it's a story I pm'd a mod to story tag it. thanks for the tip Feel free to ask questions and make comments. I'd like to hear honest opinions and impressions. Anyone feel free to comment...
    Last edited by Nexdominus; 2011-11-02 at 08:40 PM.

Chapter 2
    After some days of traveling Jake came to a deep, narrow gorge, with a river at the bottom. He paused a moment then sat down and took a drink. He looked west first. The gorge continued as far as the eye could see, with no means to cross in site. Turning east, at first he saw the same. But after a moment, there, he thought, seeing a tree that had fallen into the gorge and had got stuck some way down bridging the gap. Perhaps he could cross it. If he was careful enough and if the tree could hold his weight… he had to try it. Going around would mean days even weeks could be added to his already long journey with so much further to go, still awaiting him.

He moved along the edge, until he came to the place above where he could climb down to the tree. Jake began to make his way down the cliff face, slowly. It was easy going at first then became very difficult only a short way down. Jake began to sweat with the exertion of the climb. His hands became slippery and it was now difficult to maintain a solid grip on the already sparse handholds. Suddenly he began to slip losing his hand holds and footing. He skidded down the side of the cliff desperately grasping for a hold, something… anything, to stop himself. His heart raced and the blood pounded in his head, his brain screamed inside his head STOP!

Then all at once he crashed down onto the tree that had bridged the gap. He hit hard on his side jarring his shoulder. He heard a crack, and Jake grunted in pain. For a split second he thought he might be safe but the momentum of his legs swung them around the trunk and he began to fall. He reached to grab the tree and hold on but the old, weathered and rotten bark of the tree simply broke away under his weight and he fell to the water below.

Thunderous pain roared through Jakes shoulder and neck as he hit the water. He almost passed out. One thought stood out in his head, survive. Despite the pain in his shoulder, he gave a mighty kick up and a moment later his head broke the surface of the water. He gave a great intake of breath. The water was cold, his shoulder screamed with pain, and now his chest and neck as well, his vision swam and he knew he must reach the shore or drown.

The current was strong and carried Jake swiftly downstream. His left shoulder, neck and chest all throbbing with pain and the rest of his body quickly became numb from the cold water. Mostly the river carried him on and he was only able to swim awkwardly with one arm. A short way downstream the river began to widen and the current slowed. Jake was able to make his way to the near shoreline as the water got shallower he gently pulled himself up onto the pebbles marking the shore. Filled with pain, freezing from the icy water, and exhausted jake’s body slumped to the ground. As he slipped into unconsciousness his vision blurred, the last thing he saw was a, shadowy figure, emerging from the nearby bushes.
    Last edited by Nexdominus; 2011-11-03 at 03:24 PM. Reason: editing

Chapter 3
    She moved around the room preparing a meal. Noises you would hear in a kitchen spread around the room. The sounds brought Jake back to consciousness, and for a moment his memory drifted back to a time when he was home, in bed and those same sounds would drift up to his room from the kitchen below, his wife, would be preparing breakfast on those lazy mornings. But that was many, many years ago before the upheaval. Bitter memories then flooded Jakes’ mind, turmoil and lives that had been uprooted and changed forever. Lives that could never be what they once were. So many things had changed since then.

A voice brought Jake out of his brooding “You took a nasty fall. You’re lucky to be alive.” She said. It was a strong and clear, woman’s voice. He finally opened his eyes, and blinked them over, and over to clear his vision. His body ached all over. He tried to sit up, but searing hot pain between his shoulder and neck cause him to fall back down. “You’ve a broken clavicle.” she paused “collarbone.” She said. “I’m Emily” she introduce herself. “I set the bone and put it in a sling. You’ll need to rest several more days before you’ll be able to get up and move around.” She said. Jake mumbled, a thank you then closed his eyes again there was too much pain for him to care about anything else right now, and he slipped into unconsciousness again.

Jake woke some time later. It was dark now he could barely see by the firelight, which gave off much appreciated warmth, and a cheery glow. There was a woman standing across the small room her back to him. “Are you the one who found me by the river?” Jake asked. “Yes.” Emily replied. “Thank you. How long have I been out?” He said. “Four days.” She replied. She turned and went over to him. She handed him a bowl of stew, which he accepted gratefully. Jake hadn’t realized how hungry he was until just now. After several mouthfuls of what he considered some of the most delicious food he’d ever eaten he asked; “My things?” Emily indicated they were stacked over next to the make shift doorway, with a nod in that direction. He saw them and felt relieved it appeared everything was there.

Jake put his worries aside for now. He was safe enough; Emily could certainly have finished him off at any time. He finished eating and asked how he could repay her for the kindness. She told him there were plenty of chores to do, and he could start in the morning. Then she told him to rest, he would need his strength. As Jake fell asleep, thoughts of Emily drifted through his mind, he pictured her, slaying dragons, and fighting off hordes of enemies…

That's it... let me know what you think. I can't post my whole book here now for you to read but soon, and with some luck it will hit the bookstores in the near future.
    Last edited by Nexdominus; 2011-11-04 at 02:48 PM. Reason: editing