1. #1

    What's the best way to catch up on Diablo's Lore?

    I didn't play Diablo 1 or 2, but i'm really digging diablo 3...

    thing is, i hate playing a game without knowing what it is all about, so i would like to know what's the best way to catch up on Diablo's lore, and important characters things like that? Should i just download Diablo 1 and 2 and play it throught?

    Thanks for your help,
    Sincerely,

    Bastian!

  2. #2
    Well... I am in that boat too ><

    I caught up on it some watching the blizzcon streams and all the diablo panels (just actually watched the Diablo Lore one today... which it probably isn't too surprising that it had a lot of info in it).

    There is also a book coming out (and I am totally blanking on the name atm) but it is supposed to be like a compendium of everything Diablo. Oh found it, it's called the "Book of Cain". http://www.diablofans.com/news/955-u...-publications/

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Diablo Lore Pre Diablo I - Start diablo II





    Diablo II Cinematics (Your character in Diablo II is following the two people in these cinematics, but you are always one step behind. Until the Epilogue, where your deeds in game are mentioned by Marius)

    Prologue


    Act II


    Act III


    Act IV


    Epilogue


    Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, Expansion Opening Cinematic


    Lord of Destruction Final Cinematic
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2011-11-02 at 06:29 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

  5. #5
    Thanks for the links and video's I was in the same boat as well!

  6. #6
    I still get chills from watching the LoD opening cinematic..

    Great videos and links!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    snip
    WoW... what a marvelous post ! Loving every bit of it. Thank you so much for posting this, unfortunately i do not have the time to watch everything now but i'm adding these as my favorites now ! Just really, thank you so so much !

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-02 at 09:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Well... I am in that boat too ><

    I caught up on it some watching the blizzcon streams and all the diablo panels (just actually watched the Diablo Lore one today... which it probably isn't too surprising that it had a lot of info in it).

    There is also a book coming out (and I am totally blanking on the name atm) but it is supposed to be like a compendium of everything Diablo. Oh found it, it's called the "Book of Cain". http://www.diablofans.com/news/955-u...-publications/
    I like your avatar :P , also thank you very very much for this as well, i was not aware of that book, and it's awesome because it's like only 25 or 30 dollars something, so it'll be even cheaper considering i'll pay in euro. Definitely will buy it, thank you very much for linking it !

  8. #8
    The basic story isn't really that deep, honestly. We didn't really get *that* much from the games, although knowing the frame is a great place to start, and those are all awesome cinematics. I feel it's a lot like WoW, you can just go through clicking links randomly in the wiki and spend entire days learning more and more about the background of the story. So I have to ask...how much do you actually want to know? =p
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    The basic story isn't really that deep, honestly. We didn't really get *that* much from the games, although knowing the frame is a great place to start, and those are all awesome cinematics. I feel it's a lot like WoW, you can just go through clicking links randomly in the wiki and spend entire days learning more and more about the background of the story. So I have to ask...how much do you actually want to know? =p
    I want to know everything there is to know. I'm ordering the Book of Cain (thanks to Arlee) and i just saw the cinematics and videos the OP's posted here. I also just did what you said, and went on diablowiki randomic clicking through whatever was in front of me, and i just spent... like 3 hours already just reading on lore and i already know the basics of diablo 1 and 2 ^^

    haha it's awesome how much you get to know with these things. Hopefully it wont be long until the book of cain is out, and i'll just keep reading the Wiki. Not anymore today though, because like you said, if you start reading you spend 5 hours or more and you don't even notice ! Will try to read a bit everyday ;P

  10. #10
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Inarius
    It all starts there, in my opinion.

    Well,
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary
    And there. And then you can click on everything and say goodbye to your life.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  11. #11

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Inarius
    It all starts there, in my opinion.

    Well,
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary
    And there. And then you can click on everything and say goodbye to your life.
    Thanks to you i can say goodbye happy ;P

    haha yeah that wikia is cool, it's a different style than diablowiki.com , but i'll make sure to read both ! :P

    Thanks for pointing out other important figures i should read. Really appreciate it ^^ it'll probably take days to read but eh... no problem, diablo lore is actually awesome.

    Herzlichen Dank!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Inarius
    It all starts there, in my opinion.

    Well,
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary
    And there. And then you can click on everything and say goodbye to your life.
    I just finished watching one of the Diablo panels today and I almost died laughing because one of the panelists randomly started referring to Sanctuary as Earth... and Metzen just shook his head and gave him a "I am going to club you" look lol.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I just finished watching one of the Diablo panels today and I almost died laughing because one of the panelists randomly started referring to Sanctuary as Earth... and Metzen just shook his head and gave him a "I am going to club you" look lol.
    Scary Metzen o_O
    Actually, Heaven being a non-good faction, and "Earth" being a place made from the combination of Heaven and Hell, is what makes me love the Diablo universe so much. They really have the freedom to do whatever they want with the story whenever they want.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  15. #15
    I've only been getting into the Diablo lore recently (I dabbled with the first game AGES ago, and only recently started playing D2 because I wanted to see if I'd like D3), but I have to say there's a lot of really interesting stuff here. It's a fresh take on the whole 'Angels vs Demons' thing, and I'm definitely getting the Book of Cain when it comes out. Should be a fascinating read.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •