Stat Analysis for Spriests

I've talked about stat scaling in a few posts and had some time to graphically display what I've been talking about.

Just to put into context, I am correlating the increase of rating to the percentage gain in DPS. Each stat is analysed in isolation which means synergy type affects are not measured.

Just to be clear, I am not insinuating or trying to prove that our stats scale exactly like this graph indicates. This was more a look at how stats behave in a very general sense.

The y axis is the percentage gain in DPS, the x axis is rating. The rating gains are applied to starting stats, for example I have assumed 6000 intellect + the base crit of 1.2375%, which means at 0 crit rating there is a natural crit rate of 10.483% (without FM). So moving from 0 rating to 50 rating is comparing 10.763% crit with 10.483% crit.

Interestingly the haste results don't change with or without DI. I think that may be due to the fact that haste is multiplicative and not additive. You can see with the crit results that with and without FM are slightly different and as expected when you have FM (or more crit) the value of getting more is less than when you don't have FM.

I was quite suprised how mastery turned out. I made the assumption that ES will apply to 95% of the spells that can benefit from it (ie 95% up time), and affect 90% of our damage sources. I tweaked that number up and down and while it changed the result I don't think it did so dramatically. Obviously mastery is not better than haste, this is because haste has auxilary benefits with extra dot ticks, more orb procs etc. What it does show is that in an isolated case mastery scales quite well and that is to be expected with a flat percentage damage gain above 1% per point.

I was also interested to see that the rate of change for each stat was similar. The better the scaling stat the more it degrades but its not a dramatic difference. For those of you who like to think of stats scaling linearly I'm almost inclined to agree with you, in terms that each of the stats affect dps in a similar rate of change way, so you can think of each of them having a linear affect in relation to each other. However from a nominal point of view, you can see why my opinion of crit is quite low, particularly when you compare it to the nominal affect you could get from mastery or haste.

Hope you found this interesting, lets hope there isn't too many holes in my thinking...

15+ Year Old Account
    It's neat to see if you read how you produced it, what isn't considered, and the assumptions you are making - I remember the thread where you were trying to explain this (and understood it then, but this expresses it quite well). I'm a little worried about how likely it is that people will misinterpret this >< Which should be incoming in...

Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    It's neat to see if you read how you produced it, what isn't considered, and the assumptions you are making - I remember the thread where you were trying to explain this (and understood it then, but this expresses it quite well). I'm a little worried about how likely it is that people will misinterpret this >< Which should be incoming in...

Abandon ship! Lose the crit! <3 just playing. Good post. Informative but not alot of new info for someone who read the original post you made in t11 i think?