Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Madness of Deathwing Encounter...

Well, since the majority of the final fight with Deathwing is on the PTR (or one could assume) how do you feel about the fight?

Personally, after watching it and learning the mechanics a bit, I am greatly underwhelmed. I mean really, unless there is a shit-ton more work to do on it (which I doubt), besides number tuning, it is completely lame and I cannot wait for it to be the end of Cataclysm. Honestly, even the spine of Deathwing encounter seems like a letdown. Maybe it is just something you have to experience for it to feel epic, and I'll try to go in there with open mind, but I'm disappointed as of right now.

In all seriousness, these lame encounters with Deathwing sum up this whole expansion for me and if they are as bad as they seem, I simply cannot wait to judo chop some pandas in the face.

edit: Now that 4.3 has been out, and a lot of serious raiders have seen him by now, what are you thoughts after SEEING it?
    Last edited by Irisel; 2011-12-04 at 08:33 PM.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post

Personally, after watching it and learning the mechanics a bit,

how about you see for yourself?

I agree that the fight mechanics look very underwhelming as it is on the PTR right now (of course I haven't actually done it myself, but I just don't feel the epicness of the fight compared with when I first watched vids like H Rag, LK, Yogg, Algalon, Mimiron etc), you don't actually get to fight Deathwing himself, first you fight adds and blow up some of his armor plates, then you fight his tentaclimbs. :\ When Blizzard first announced what they had in mind for the final Deathwing encounter, I was expecting something much more epic and hectic, like Deathwing breathing and exploding fire everywhere, actually attacking the raid with some crazy abilities like meteor showers or destroying the islands, laz0r beemz and crap. Having to have the raid constantly move and change islands to avoid his attacks, and even splitting the raid up to DPS multiple targets all at once. Y'know, something super chaotic that would be a fitting tribute to the insane being that Deathwing is.

Instead you get 4 islands, with the whole raid stacked up and killing 1 tentaclimb and some adds at a time, and a lame meteor thing that's easily avoided by sidestepping :\ And a burn phase that honestly doesn't look all that hard at all. I was hoping that the aspects would play a more active role too, but instead they're kinda like Cenarius, Malfurion and Hamuul during H Rag, they kinda just chill at the back of the room and give you some occasional help. Considering what a crazy evil villain they've made Deathwing out to be, the Madness of Deathwing encounter simply doesn't do him any justice at all.

I'm hoping the heroic mode will be much more exciting and maybe with an additional final phase, like when Thrall goes super shayan and lightning-boltamehas Deathwing, N'Zoth instead corrupts the beam and has it empower Deathwing (being that the Dragon Soul was created by Deathwing with the aid of the Old Gods, after all), restoring his HP and going into some batshit insane final phase.

One can only hope

i am only disappointed that i do not get to tank Deathwing, Chin to Chin..... my epic beard weeps.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we fight Deathwing himself, he would one-shot the tanks. When someone is stronger than you, you don't face them head on, you attack them at their weak points. Strategy, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serix69 View Post
    If we fight Deathwing himself, he would one-shot the tanks.
    That would be where the aspects would come in handy

Who cares, pandas are immenent

That encounter is a failure. There's nothing epic about it.

Deleted
    Also disappointed -.-
    What is so epic about this fight? Bunch of tentacles spawning on every site, side or island in last phase....? Come on. How original...
    Let's hope this is only "the preview" of the MAIN fight of this (fail) expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Serix69 View Post
    If we fight Deathwing himself, he would one-shot the tanks. When someone is stronger than you, you don't face them head on, you attack them at their weak points. Strategy, I like it.
    Ya, 100% agree. The fight dose look a bit underwhelming, as stated. But this is the most powerful villain players have faced yet. No raid would be able to go toe to toe with him. So a more strategic attack is necessary.

Deleted
    After testing almost all possible bosses in PTR as normal and heroic modes I can say that they seem to continue the same line with the bosses difficulties as they did in Firelands. Which means that all normal modes are overruns and can be done with blue gears etc etc and also every heroic mode will be easy enough to progress very fast. But I wonder is the final encounter as hard as they promised on heroic, because it is most likely going to be the only challenging boss in the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    Ya, 100% agree. The fight dose look a bit underwhelming, as stated. But this is the most powerful villain players have faced yet. No raid would be able to go toe to toe with him. So a more strategic attack is necessary.
    Except 95% raid bosses would one-shot the tanks. Take a look at Sulfuras. Now look at the gnome warrior. Now look at Sulfuras. Now the gnome. Now Sulfuras.
    See wut I did thar?

Quote Originally Posted by Twosteps View Post
    I just don't feel the epicness of the fight compared with when I first watched vids like H Rag, LK, Yogg, Algalon, Mimiron etc
    You're comparing a normal mode to heroic modes.

Normal rag isnt that epic either. P1-3 are all underwhelming imo (World in Flames makes heroic sort or interesting the first few times you see it). P4 is where the "epicness" of the encounter lies, and that's not in normal.

Normal mimiron was also fairly underhwlming and only hardmode showed everyone how great it was.

Wait til the fight is completely finished and then wait for the heroic mode. I doubt it will be a disappointment.
    Last edited by Frozendekay; 2011-11-03 at 08:17 AM.

Guaranteed, heroic will have a final phase that is ten times as awesome as both of the normal-mode Deathwing fights. N'Zoth will make an appearance, and we WILL get to face the boss this expansion has been building toward - the puppetmaster N'Zoth instead of his puppet Deathwing.

I have to believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post

Normal rag isnt that epic either. P1-3 are all underwhelming imo (World in Flames makes heroic sort or interesting the first few times you see it). P4 is where the "epicness" of the encounter lies, and that's not in normal.

Normal mimiron was also fairly underhwlming and only hardmode showed everyone how great it was.

Wait til the fight is completely finished and then wait for the heroic mode. I doubt it will be a disappointment.
    Definitely true when you put it that way, I guess my brain isn't working properly. I guess my main gripe with the normal mode is how it seems like there's very little mechanics to the fight, but again I haven't tested it personally so I can't say for sure. I'm just hoping that heroic mode is going to blow us all out of the water

It's normal mode, it's about what I expected. Looks far more overwhelming than it actually is, while heroic will put in the REAL pressure. Visually, it's the best done fight ever, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post

And be prepared for alot of QQ since it will only be 1-2% of the playerbase actually seing the fight cos it is on Heroic the shit happens. Or at least that is what you are predicting.

Deleted
    I really hope that these players did him on LFR easymode.. and that another phase adds in on normal mode, and then a third one on heroic. Would be quite epic if u get some awesome fireshiet from deathwing on normalmode and then N'zoth + deathwing madness on heroic.

I agree that many other boss fights were quite lame at first, I however liked lich king even in normal. So I really think that deathwing should be a fun and epic boss in normal too.

Deleted
    teh problem i see, is that there just isnt enough room on the plattforms, to introduce mechanics that force yout o move etc, etc. atleast on normal, its prettymuch a patchwerk fight, whichs means its just gonna be a big gear check basically, which is crap.

But im assuming there will be some kind of mechanic on heroic, that forces some of the players to be on another plattorm, and to switch alot, like conclave or smt. They better have huge mechanic additions for heroic, cus the normal mode is just silly atm, tank and spank - lame!

10+ Year Old Account
    Open the kill video, mute it, open another tab and open http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzY7q...eature=related with volume on. I fixed it and it's now much better looking.

In my opinion, I think it looks great, and after all it's only normal, of course it isn't going to have a big final send off bit, we'll have to wait to see that.